Any Ideas ???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hasnem

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have done some shadowing of dentist. Basically just observe a dentist work, which is fine but I will like to get some hand on experience. Any ideas?? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I'd ask that dentist or other dentists if you could work for them. You'd probably end up doing a lot of scut work (filing charts, changing over rooms, etc...) but should have a good opportunity to learn a great deal as well as get some practical lab and office experience (pouring up models, processing x-rays, waxing). I'm working as an intern for a dentist right now, and its been a great experience and what I know a heck of a lot more about dentistry now than I did a year ago. Also, maybe look into working/volunteering at a dental lab. Should be a chance to gain some valuable lab skills.

The best thing to do is watch. I was offered a job about six years ago while I was in high school and I have been working at that office ever since when I have a chance. I've been trained to do every job in the office by being interested in learning about my future profession. That job lead into another one with a group OMS practice where I learned to do everything there too. I am able to assist on any procedure and know what instruments are needed for what procedure and how to use them - that will be helpful I'm sure when I start dental school in the fall.

I have made a lot of great connections for my future. All it takes is enthusiasm and you can get whatever you want.