DesiPharm

10+ Year Member
Feb 26, 2005
Status
Hi,

I did my Bahelors in Pharmacy in India and I came here in January.I attended for PCAT on jan-22.But I get the worst percentile.Is any one there to help me and guide me in right path?Iam planning to take masters in pharmaceutical sciences.Is this a good decision?Can I get this easily?Please help me.

Thankyou
Maya

VCU07

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 21, 2004
Visit site
Status
I am currently a desi p2. I can't tell you what to do with your career b/c that is up to you. Since you did your pharmacy in India do you want to continue being a pharmacist in America? If so, it may benefit you to go though a PharmD program. Pharmacy in India and America are totally different. You may also want to work as a tech for a while and get used to our system. If you enjoy it, take the Naplex and see what happens. If, on the other hand, you enjoy research then do the masters. If you take this route you most likely end up in industry. If I can help any further do not hesitate to ask. Good luck

DesiPharm said:
Hi,

I did my Bahelors in Pharmacy in India and I came here in January.I attended for PCAT on jan-22.But I get the worst percentile.Is any one there to help me and guide me in right path?Iam planning to take masters in pharmaceutical sciences.Is this a good decision?Can I get this easily?Please help me.

Thankyou
Maya

rxgal8

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 20, 2005
Status
DesiPharm said:
Hi,

Thankyou
Maya
I'm a P1 student. To add to what VCU07 said, you have two options:

1. Go for the PharmD: if you want to be a pharmacist, then you could study for the PCATs and retake them since you probably didn't have enough time to prepare for them during the one month you were here. It's totally do-able :) Or you could apply to schools that don't require PCAT scores.

2. Go for the Masters: this will lead you to a career in pharmaceutical industries or research at universities, etc. So you would have to take the GRE's for that.

If you were planning on going for the Master's and then eventually PharmD, I (just my opinion) would suggest against that. You would be better off just re-taking the PCATs or applying to 'non-PCAT' schools, instead of wasting your energy and time on a Masters that you might never use in the future. :thumbdown:

Also, most schools will want a TOEFL score. So don't forget to get that done :D

Hope this helps. Goodluck :luck:

OP
D

DesiPharm

10+ Year Member
Feb 26, 2005
Status
Thanks a lot.I also like the research and also the work in industries.I got 240(computer based) in TOEFL and 1080(410-verbal and 670-quant) in GRE.Is this enough for applying to Masters?Iam interested in Pharmacology and also in pharmaceutics.Is these two courses had any demand in US?What would you suggest for me and what university?thank you

rxgal8 said:
I'm a P1 student. To add to what VCU07 said, you have two options:

1. Go for the PharmD: if you want to be a pharmacist, then you could study for the PCATs and retake them since you probably didn't have enough time to prepare for them during the one month you were here. It's totally do-able :) Or you could apply to schools that don't require PCAT scores.

2. Go for the Masters: this will lead you to a career in pharmaceutical industries or research at universities, etc. So you would have to take the GRE's for that.

If you were planning on going for the Master's and then eventually PharmD, I (just my opinion) would suggest against that. You would be better off just re-taking the PCATs or applying to 'non-PCAT' schools, instead of wasting your energy and time on a Masters that you might never use in the future. :thumbdown:

Also, most schools will want a TOEFL score. So don't forget to get that done :D

Hope this helps. Goodluck :luck:

OP
D

DesiPharm

10+ Year Member
Feb 26, 2005
Status
Hai,

Thanks a lot.Is it easy to get a seat in Masters for International students?Which school do you suggest?

VCU07 said:
I am currently a desi p2. I can't tell you what to do with

your career b/c that is up to you. Since you did your pharmacy in India do you want to continue being a pharmacist in America? If so, it may benefit you to go though a PharmD program. Pharmacy in India and America are totally different. You may also want to work as a tech for a while and get used to our system. If you enjoy it, take the Naplex and see what happens. If, on the other hand, you enjoy research then do the masters. If you take this route you most likely end up in industry. If I can help any further do not hesitate to ask. Good luck

rxgal8

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 20, 2005
Status
DesiPharm said:
Thanks a lot.I also like the research and also the work in industries.I got 240(computer based) in TOEFL and 1080(410-verbal and 670-quant) in GRE.Is this enough for applying to Masters?Iam interested in Pharmacology and also in pharmaceutics.Is these two courses had any demand in US?What would you suggest for me and what university?thank you
Hi Maya,
Sorry I can't help you because I don't really know anything about the Master's programs since I'm a PharmD student. But goodluck and maybe other students on this forum might be able to give you some info :luck: