Any Info of COMP?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cabound

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've heard the appearance of the school is bad... but my bf lives there, and we're planning on getting engaged soon... soo for several reasons this is my top choice. But.. I am curious as to people's opinion of the school's academics... practice of OMM, atmosphere, growth potential??? Basically does anyone know personally or know about COMP and its potential for furthering research in osteo medicine?? I know what the websites say.. but I would like an unbiased personal experience.

Also, I've heard some DO schools tend to focus less on the osteo philosophy... like OMM is decreasing in practice as well at the med school level.. any thoughts?? know of any schools?

One more question.... COMP vs. OSU-COM....?? any thoughts??? Thanks!:D

Members don't see this ad.

I have no idea where you are getting you info.....Western COMP is a great school......perhaps one of the better osteopathic medical schools. I am sure that each and every school has their pros and cons.....but at the end of the day, its a great medical school. I have no idea what you are asking in the other ?'s......If there are students that do not wish to utilize OMM into their career, its because of their own reasons, and not because the med school has urged this. The one thing people should realize, is that DO schools do not offer very many amazing research opportunities at the schools (there are a number that do, however), but even then, I believe each school offers research fellowships during the summers at other locations......many of which are probably good ones.

Hope this helps

I recently received an acceptance from Western, so my input is purely based on my impressions from the day of the interview & my research from the school's website. But for what it's worth, the campus is not ugly, it's just not historical and collegiate looking as some of the older schools. It used to be a JCPenny's, which should give you an idea of what the outside looks like if you've ever been to an outdoor mall in So Cal. The inside is fairly new looking and I personally think that it's really nice, but that's really a matter of taste. However, I don't think any of that is nearly as important as the other stuff, meaning their academic program and the general learning atmosphere. I found it to be extremely collegial and their academic program is pretty progressive and it seems like they are constantly reviewing the program and talking to students to make it better. Really what it comes down to though is a matter of personal preference. I went to undergrad in So Cal, so walking onto campus was very familiar and homey for me. Good luck as you make this important decision.

Members don't see this ad :)
COMP is very stats oriented. They have high standards which could explain their good boarding pass rates. Also, the campus is not nearly as bad as some people say it is. I live in Harlem and let's just say COMP's location is heaven compared to Harlem. I interviewed there back in November and I really liked the school.

Thanks so much!! yeah.. i went to school in So Cal... and once you get a feel for it and you like it, it's hard to be anywhere else.. but yet I have heard they are very stats oriented, so I'm looking into a post-bac program. Thanks again!