Any info on Emory's program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jay426k

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone give me some info on Emory's Anesthesia program along with how competitive the program is? ANY info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Can anyone give me some info on Emory's Anesthesia program along with how competitive the program is? ANY info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Are you talking about the residency program or the Anesthesiologist Assistant program?

Thanks

can u be more specific, such as why you are asking. it makes it more educationally beneficial for all that way

Members don't see this ad :)
My bad...I was talking about their residency program. The reason I'm asking is b/c it is one of the places i'm considering.

Thanks

My bad...I was talking about their residency program. The reason I'm asking is b/c it is one of the places i'm considering.

Thanks

I am a CA1 resident at Emory. I can answer a lot about the program and city from my perspective but Id say come and visit for first hand knowledge. At Emory we are assigned to a variety of hospitals in the city with a strong mix of patients. Grady(public level one trauma center), Emory University Hospital(referral center), Crawford Long(Private), Eggleston(Peds), VA, and a few others. Didactics are strong and the program is financially strong as well. In my opinion this program is always overlooked when people start talking about top programs.

My average day in the operating room starts with arriving at work at 6AM, setting up my OR from 6:00-6:30AM and attending a morning teaching conference from 6:45-7:15AM. Cases generally start at 0730. You get a 15 min AM break and a 45 min lunch as well as time between cases.
The residents during CA1 year are divided amongst Grady and Emory University hospitals with a few differences in schedule.

If you start at Grady you begin taking call right away(5/mo) but your non-call work day is over around 4.(get out of the OR at 300 then do a few pre-ops. Generally in my car headed home at 330-345.) Call at Grady can be busy but its probably the same regardless where you are. I work on average 55-65 hours per week depending on the amount of call that week. Emory has a bit later work day but they don’t start call until about 2 months into the year. They also have a bit more benign call schedule than Grady. I started at Grady so I cant speak much more first hand on Emory or the other hospitals we get assigned to. You average 3-4 cases per day at Grady depending on what room your assigned to.

In general most of our attendings are great and very approachable. Most are committed to teaching residents and engage residents in thoughtful discussions about pt. care. Teaching takes place on a daily basis starting with discussions the night before with the attending, then with the morning conference, and usually several times throughout the work-day.

Didactic sessions- Morning conferences daily, Grand Rounds on Tuesday afternoon, Journal club twice a month, Oral board review/pre-op conference twice a week in replace of regular AM conference. Several mini-conferences/workshops throughout the year...Regional, Advanced airway, TEE, ETC... And funding and professional leave for one conference per year.

My class is a 50:50 mix of those who go out and those who are married and don’t go out as much. Attending--resident relationships are very good as well. We have drug rep/ program sponsored events monthly where the attendings/staff and residents hang out socially.

This program gives us exposure to all patient types and cases. There are people every year getting great private, academic, fellowships spots.

Then there is Atlanta. If you want to be in the SE this city has it all. And don’t worry about the traffic issue. I never have problems getting to and from work.

If you have more specific questions feel free to PM me

USNavDoc - I also appreciate your input into Emory's program. I'll be rotating through soon and am glad to hear that you like it. I was wondering how close you live to Emory? One of my concerns is traffic - like everyone else in the world I hate it, and lean toward doing my residency somewhere less dominated by the automotive beasts... If you live nearby, the question of traffic is kind of a moot point - thoughts?

USNavDoc - I also appreciate your input into Emory's program. I'll be rotating through soon and am glad to hear that you like it. I was wondering how close you live to Emory? One of my concerns is traffic - like everyone else in the world I hate it, and lean toward doing my residency somewhere less dominated by the automotive beasts... If you live nearby, the question of traffic is kind of a moot point - thoughts?

There are plenty of areas to consider that allow you to avoid traffic. Just depends on what you are looking for. Ie..single, married, kids, desire a neighborhood vs intown atmosphere. Im single so this was a no brainer for me. I wanted to be close to work and the citybut also have a house and a yard for my dog.

I live in decatur which is where emory univ is located. I can be in the parking garage at emory in 5 min regardless of the time of day. It takes me about 20 min in the am to get to Grady, which is downtown. I can be in the heart of buckhead in 15 min, VA Highlands in 10 min, Midtown in 20 min. These are all areas worth looking at if you want to live in the city.

Traffic is much more difficult if you desire to live outside the perimeter(285 loop) or live up hwy400, but there are some decent places there for public schools. Roswell, Dunwoody, Vinnings.

Anyway PM me with specifics if you have questions. See you when you get here.

bump

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user