Any info on EMP Group

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TraumaCheers

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm gonna interview with EMP. Low hourly wage, but nice location, and no buy in to an equity stake, just time served.

Any advice/feedback?

Members don't see this ad.

A buddy from residency works for EMP and has felt that they follow the letter of their contract obligations. Where he is unhappy is that he works is understaffed and has been compelled to work extra shifts to cover the gaps. This means that he has to work 22-23 shifts instead of the 16-17 he was contracted for. Yes, he gets paid extra, but he's peeved that he has to work more than he did as a resident. He has no recourse aside from quitting his job. Many of his days off recently have been spent going on mandatory practice improvement conferences. So, no, he isn't thrilled with his job.

I work for them as a moonlighter and am considering taking a job with them next year. They are self insured which is nice and have good pay and great benefits as well as equal equity after 2 years without a buy-in and they provide tail coverage on their dime. The downside is that they are so big that they have some lame policies on risk management (good for the group though) and they staff a lot of smaller hospitals where EM guys might not want to go so they are often understaffed so you may have to work other shifts. To combat that they do have their own cadre of locums people who fill in shifts at understaffed places so hopefully that isn't too bad.

Overall my experience with them has been good and I am seriously considering going with them after my fellowship. The End.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm beginning the job search and one hospital I'm considering is managed by EMP. Anyone have any up to date experience with them?

I have been working for them since May 2011 and am very happy. I am able to get full-time benefits only working 12-14 shifts a month which is ideal for me and my family. Obviously many positives and negatives are site dependent (he physical plant, nursing/ancillary staff and other factors are based on the individual hospital). Any job may force you to work extra shifts of staffing is any issue. At least with EMP there is a supply of locum tenems to help when your site needs extra coverage. So far I am very happy with no complaints.