Any Informatics Pharmacists out there??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Electronic health record is no bubble. Its not going to create tens and thousands of new pharmacist positions. But it will create some jobs and will maintain and grow some. Its here to stay.

Does informatics require any residencies or do they hire fresh graduates?

I know nothing about computers, but I do have a rotation in informatics...I hope this goes well....

Members don't see this ad.

Does informatics require any residencies or do they hire fresh graduates?

I know nothing about computers, but I do have a rotation in informatics...I hope this goes well....

No chance a fresh grad with no hospital experience gets an informatics job.

Informatics job is equivalent to a clinical mangers position at a medium to large hospital as far as the required experience goes.

Informatics job is equivalent to a clinical mangers position at a medium to large hospital as far as the required experience goes.

What if I do really well on my informatics rotation and look cute? Well that work? LOL...

So a residency is required? Do they even have informatics residencies?

Members don't see this ad :)
What if I do really well on my informatics rotation and look cute? Well that work? LOL...

So a residency is required? Do they even have informatics residencies?

This might shock you, but there are lots of things more important than looking cute. Informatics residencies are discussed in THIS thread. I would not hire someone to work for me who didn't pay attention to details and asked questions they could easily answer themselves.

This might shock you, but there are lots of things more important than looking cute. Informatics residencies are discussed in THIS thread. I would not hire someone to work for me who didn't pay attention to details and asked questions they could easily answer themselves.

My bad. :oops: I don't usually read everything in each thread.

Will doing very well on my informatics rotation be good enough to get hired if they needed someone? I will try my best to do well on my rotations of course! :D

Will doing very well on my informatics rotation be good enough to get hired if they needed someone? I will try my best to do well on my rotations of course! :D

I would say it would not be enough. Especially with no hospital experience. Informatics is a PGY2 specialty. I had an informatics rotation and what I learned in that time was not even 1% of what I'd need to do the job of an informatics pharmacist.

Do you even know what informatics is?

I am a new grad as well, and while I don't expect to obtain an informatics job right away, I do want to work towards it. Unfortunately, I did not match for residency, but I am going to start at a hospital upon licensure or as a grad intern (that is currently being worked out). I have seen many Masters Programs offering degrees from an MBA in Healthcare Management to a Masters of Science in Healthcare Informatics. It has been my intention for some time to get an MBA or an MS in HI. Since I am not going to have a residency, I wanted some other way to distinguish myself from other PharmDs. My question is, in your opinion as an informatics pharmacist, do you see any value in getting an MS in HI? Will that be an impressive or desirable degree to have, or is it seen as a waste of time? I too looked on how to become certified in Epic/Meditech and realized that at this point I'm unable to do that; I thought my next recourse could be to get the MS degree and work inpatient for 3 years or so and then apply for informatics jobs. Does that seem reasonable? Are there degrees in this field that are more highly regarded than others? I assumed the MS in HI was what I should be looking at, but I appreciate any feedback. Thanks

If you sleep with the preceptor or dop and threatened a sexual harassment they might.

I am a new grad as well, and while I don't expect to obtain an informatics job right away, I do want to work towards it. Unfortunately, I did not match for residency, but I am going to start at a hospital upon licensure or as a grad intern (that is currently being worked out). I have seen many Masters Programs offering degrees from an MBA in Healthcare Management to a Masters of Science in Healthcare Informatics. It has been my intention for some time to get an MBA or an MS in HI. Since I am not going to have a residency, I wanted some other way to distinguish myself from other PharmDs. My question is, in your opinion as an informatics pharmacist, do you see any value in getting an MS in HI? Will that be an impressive or desirable degree to have, or is it seen as a waste of time? I too looked on how to become certified in Epic/Meditech and realized that at this point I'm unable to do that; I thought my next recourse could be to get the MS degree and work inpatient for 3 years or so and then apply for informatics jobs. Does that seem reasonable? Are there degrees in this field that are more highly regarded than others? I assumed the MS in HI was what I should be looking at, but I appreciate any feedback. Thanks

Reasonable and the right path.

I would say it would not be enough. Especially with no hospital experience. Informatics is a PGY2 specialty. I had an informatics rotation and what I learned in that time was not even 1% of what I'd need to do the job of an informatics pharmacist.

Do you even know what informatics is?

Similar to computer programing? The only thing I know about computers is check email and facebook. LOL...

If you sleep with the preceptor or dop and threatened a sexual harassment they might.

Well, my preceptor did offer me a room in his house to stay at since I am from out of town...NOT sure if he is just trying to be helpful or not. LOL....I am getting my own apartment....I think I rather work at McDonalds for $8/hr than sleep with some old man! Thanks but no thanks! :)

Really? Youd turn down a billionaire old man?

Really? Youd turn down a billionaire old man?

BILLIONAIRE? hell no!

Doctor or Pharmacist? Yeah! Too old...not enough dough...

Members don't see this ad :)
Hoe about a 50 year old pharmd with networth of $20 million

I don't know any pharmd with that kind of money...you mean surgeon?

Idont know any surgeons with networth of 20mil but I do know several pharmds with that kind of networth.

Idont know any surgeons with networth of 20mil but I do know several pharmds with that kind of networth.

A lot of good investments in stocks and real estate?

What? Im asking sincere legit questions.

Yes, I'll take 20 million. I'll take anything above 10 million. Thank you.

How about $9.8 million but good looking and 48?

$9.8 million, looks like George Clooney and 45 and we have a DEAL!

I'll be 30 yo in less than 3 years....it's scary to feel that I am getting old too!

Ok, fair.

So what happens when the hubby gets into an accident but doesn't die yet disabled. And the hospital bill wiped out his $9.8million..and barely getting by on $3,000 per month on long term disability. Do you leave him?

Ok, fair.

So what happens when the hubby gets into an accident but doesn't die yet disabled. And the hospital bill wiped out his $9.8million..and barely getting by on $3,000 per month on long term disability. Do you leave him?

Depends on what my other options are...do I have better options? Is another guy worth more money after me? Can I find a good job in pharmacy? All those take into account. ;)

Depends on what my other options are...do I have better options? Is another guy worth more money after me? Can I find a good job in pharmacy? All those take into account. ;)

Ok, no more questions.

If you have a job openning in CA pick ME! You can see I am a very dependable person! :)

I have 3 openings. Starting base rate of $65 to $89 per hour.

I have 3 openings. Starting base rate of $65 to $89 per hour.

Nice. I'll take the one that's $89 per hour. As long as it doesn't involve ID, I am set! :D I had a 4.0 in school until P3 year...then it all went downhill...but I hope you don't mind that.

That's for 20+ years of pharmacist experience.
New grad starts at $65+. Im only going to hire Pgy1going forward or extensive hospita experienced pharmacists. Sick and tired of trying to train retail dropouts whobdint Ian out.

That's for 20+ years of pharmacist experience.
New grad starts at $65+. Im only going to hire Pgy1going forward or extensive hospita experienced pharmacists. Sick and tired of trying to train retail dropouts whobdint Ian out.

What kind of positions are you trying to fill?

What does your last sentence mean?

who don't pan out.

Could you take me as a resident? :D I would love to live in San Franciso! What kinds of positions are you looking to fill?

Could you take me as a resident? :D I would love to live in San Franciso! What kinds of positions are you looking to fill?

If he takes you as a resident, I quit.

Z are you in the Bay Area?

I know of a hospital chain that needed informatics pharmacists. They just took them some hospital pharmacists with interest in computers and made them into informatics pharmacists. This was like 5 years ago but they seem to be doing fine. There is a huge shortage of informatics residencies and a masters in informatics would be too costly and probably make you over qualified. So your choice would be then to look for opportunities to apply for certain jobs that give you on the job training.

If he takes you as a resident, I quit.

You work for Z now? I thought you would be at the "Boonies" like you listed. :laugh: Don't worry, I highly doubt anyone would want to work with you and your PMS attitude.

You work for Z now? I thought you would be at the "Boonies" like you listed. :laugh: Don't worry, I highly doubt anyone would want to work with you and your PMS attitude.

It's all these Medicaid babies and my baby daddy's that I have to keep up with that make me so bitchy.

Back on topic,

I was hired as an informatics pharmacist as a fresh grad. Then again, I

1. previously worked in software and hardware repair
2. worked in my health system for 3 years as a tech
3. took rotations/classes in informatics
4. had a ton of leadership experiences to make a hefty CV
5. had a mentor that was an informatics pharmacist and also a corporate leader within my health system

I do a LOT more staffing than other pharmacists in my position simply because I need to know the system and operations of a pharmac - AND how to be a good pharmacist. I have to make a lot of decisions and be the final check before the pharmacists working the bench click on formulary items with defaults and information. I don't know if hiring a fresh grad is a good idea - but I guess if you get the right one who intends on being solely an informatics pharmacist, might be a good gamble.

In short, it is who you know and how you set yourself up.

Back on topic,

I was hired as an informatics pharmacist as a fresh grad. Then again, I

1. previously worked in software and hardware repair
2. worked in my health system for 3 years as a tech
3. took rotations/classes in informatics
4. had a ton of leadership experiences to make a hefty CV
5. had a mentor that was an informatics pharmacist and also a corporate leader within my health system

I do a LOT more staffing than other pharmacists in my position simply because I need to know the system and operations of a pharmac - AND how to be a good pharmacist. I have to make a lot of decisions and be the final check before the pharmacists working the bench click on formulary items with defaults and information. I don't know if hiring a fresh grad is a good idea - but I guess if you get the right one who intends on being solely an informatics pharmacist, might be a good gamble.

In short, it is who you know and how you set yourself up.

I agree with the "who you know and how you set yourself up". I have absolutely no hospital experience and I got hired on as an Informatics Pharmacist. I do have a degree in information systems and a few years of retail experience.

Question for anyone: Our Epic implementation is going to be built off-site (away from hospital). I have the impression that I'll never actually go to the hospital. Is this normal for an Epic implementation? Can you support the system from an off-site location after Go Live?

I agree with the "who you know and how you set yourself up". I have absolutely no hospital experience and I got hired on as an Informatics Pharmacist. I do have a degree in information systems and a few years of retail experience.

Question for anyone: Our Epic implementation is going to be built off-site (away from hospital). I have the impression that I'll never actually go to the hospital. Is this normal for an Epic implementation? Can you support the system from an off-site location after Go Live?

I am not sure about EPIC, but I gather it would depend on what role you have in supporting the system post go-live. If you are in an analyst role, carrying out the system changes then you can work off site.You would be getting change requests from your 'client' and thus do not need to be at your facility. However, if you are in a clinical role responding in real time to operations needs and changes, I do not think you can do the work off site. Some circumstances that come to mind are responding to formulary changes due to drug shortages, trouble shooting issues etc...I think you would need to be at your facility to be responsive. It just depends on your role.

I will have to say though.. if you do not know your facility...you are setting yourself to be the enemy. You really need to know your facility's needs in terms of operations, troubleshooting and training. Otherwise you get set up to be just another cog in the system that does not HELP the pharmacist, but rather set them up for failure. I could not see myself working offsite because I get questions all the time about what drips we use, can something be ordered this way or that, how to set up a breast milk workflow specific for our NICU etc etc.

Post go -live I am positive that you will need to be responsive to requests in changes of ordersets, formulary items, defaults, and CDS. Can't imagine anyone being as responsive as those who are on the front lines.

I've worked nearly a year as a Informatics Pharmacist at my hospital. We just finished a go-live to Cerner Millenium and are starting to phase in CPOE. Before, we had McKesson STAR and Cerner Bridge. At the same time, we did a conversion from Omnicell 12 to Omnicell 15.5. We also have a repackager from TCG. I'm currently testing a TCG to Omnicell batch fill, while we convert to a Patient Specific "cartless" system in Omnicell.

There's a lot to do! I work 60+ hours a week, and I'm salaried for 40. Since you are in charge of the system, believe me; you will get calls day and night. Sometimes I have to come in at 1 AM to fix something, like I did last night. Sometimes its for an upgrade in software. You really do touch everyone. I work closely with IS for hardware installs, nursing and their needs, and of course my fellow pharmacists. When we prepared to go live, I stayed 36 hours in a row to catch up on the backload since I already had Cerner Millenium experience. Therefore, I was able to backload quickly. (Backload is when you take orders from the old system and enter them into the new system and MAINTAIN new orders, it's basically dual order entry).

Oh, and I graduated in 2010. You do need clinical experience. You must understand how order sets work. You must understand the whole medication workflow from the start of billing and CDM all the way down to the barcode the nurse scans. Your staff will look up to you to answer questions. And generally, when the director is out, your supervisor is out, you will be the one in charge. I've heard of some informaticists work 10 hours M-Thurs, but I think that's quite rare!

Anyways, I think the potential for growth is great. I met with Cerner pharmacists and Dell pharmacists that help with go live and support. They have a lot of responsibilities and travel 80% of the time, but I know they make GOOD money. (No, money's not everything, but it helps!) My mentor when I was an intern went from hospital to a company that develops IV pumps. Another mentor was at a retail pharmacy and did the UIC Informatics degree, her company gave her an extra 40k as soon as she graduated with that masters and now is way up in corporate.

You could even work for someone like Omnicell. My project manager from Omnicell mentioned they would be glad to reference me after I did the go-live for it. A pharmacist as a sales rep would be invaluable because they could truly provide deep insight on Omnicell's capability and how it affects workflow and improve efficiency.

And somehow, I still work PRN retail to keep me grounded to patients, not forgot patient care, and bring in extra $$$ lol. That 1-2 shift a month is more than enough :laugh: :scared:

I've worked nearly a year as a Informatics Pharmacist at my hospital. We just finished a go-live to Cerner Millenium and are starting to phase in CPOE. Before, we had McKesson STAR and Cerner Bridge. At the same time, we did a conversion from Omnicell 12 to Omnicell 15.5. We also have a repackager from TCG. I'm currently testing a TCG to Omnicell batch fill, while we convert to a Patient Specific "cartless" system in Omnicell.

There's a lot to do! I work 60+ hours a week, and I'm salaried for 40. Since you are in charge of the system, believe me; you will get calls day and night. Sometimes I have to come in at 1 AM to fix something, like I did last night. Sometimes its for an upgrade in software. You really do touch everyone. I work closely with IS for hardware installs, nursing and their needs, and of course my fellow pharmacists. When we prepared to go live, I stayed 36 hours in a row to catch up on the backload since I already had Cerner Millenium experience. Therefore, I was able to backload quickly. (Backload is when you take orders from the old system and enter them into the new system and MAINTAIN new orders, it's basically dual order entry).

Oh, and I graduated in 2010. You do need clinical experience. You must understand how order sets work. You must understand the whole medication workflow from the start of billing and CDM all the way down to the barcode the nurse scans. Your staff will look up to you to answer questions. And generally, when the director is out, your supervisor is out, you will be the one in charge. I've heard of some informaticists work 10 hours M-Thurs, but I think that's quite rare!

Anyways, I think the potential for growth is great. I met with Cerner pharmacists and Dell pharmacists that help with go live and support. They have a lot of responsibilities and travel 80% of the time, but I know they make GOOD money. (No, money's not everything, but it helps!) My mentor when I was an intern went from hospital to a company that develops IV pumps. Another mentor was at a retail pharmacy and did the UIC Informatics degree, her company gave her an extra 40k as soon as she graduated with that masters and now is way up in corporate.

You could even work for someone like Omnicell. My project manager from Omnicell mentioned they would be glad to reference me after I did the go-live for it. A pharmacist as a sales rep would be invaluable because they could truly provide deep insight on Omnicell's capability and how it affects workflow and improve efficiency.

And somehow, I still work PRN retail to keep me grounded to patients, not forgot patient care, and bring in extra $$$ lol. That 1-2 shift a month is more than enough :laugh: :scared:

Thanks for the input jinhamasaki. It seems like all IT pharmacists have these awesome success stories. It's a lot of work, but the sky truly is the limit here.

It sounds like IT pharmacists (after Go-Live) don't really do the same tasks as an Inpatient Pharmacist. Would anyone agree with this? Elaboration?

Thanks for the input jinhamasaki. It seems like all IT pharmacists have these awesome success stories. It's a lot of work, but the sky truly is the limit here.

It sounds like IT pharmacists (after Go-Live) don't really do the same tasks as an Inpatient Pharmacist. Would anyone agree with this? Elaboration?

Well yeah, I don't know about everyone else, but I don't remember all the clinical details of pharmacy. I know the whole picture, but I won't always know specific dosing, side effects, interactions etc.

I'd probably panic if I had to work inpatient suddenly. When I'm building an order set, or even comments, if I even have a DOUBT about something I have the time/effort to double check references. Meanwhile, inpatient pharmacists have to balance the clinical side, order entry, phone calls, techs requiring checks/assistance, etc.

I wrote a job description for Informatic Pharmacist today. I'm also creating a position for IT Pharm Tech. exciting times.

Another mentor was at a retail pharmacy and did the UIC Informatics degree, her company gave her an extra 40k as soon as she graduated with that masters and now is way up in corporate.

Was that 40k after a PharmD or RPh?