Any input is greatly appreciated

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jonesbird

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
First of all, let me apologize if this is miscategorized. I found a similar thread, but it was all for Pre-med students, not for psych.

Here is my story. I want to get my PsyD, and I want to know whether the people on this forum think I stand a chance getting in to a program with these marks.

BA Intensive Psychology UC Santa Cruz
Cummulative undegrad GPA: 3.34
Psych only GPA: 3.53
Last two year GPA: 3.6
(I only separate these because a few programs request this)
2 quarters research in a Cognitive Lab
2 quarters Clinical Field Study
200+ volunteer work at a Domestic Violence shelter
CA certified Domestic Violence Advocate
GRE: 1200 (but I'm taking a plan with hopes of improving my score around 200 pts)
Good letters of rec from well known faculty

Would all of you suggest that I stick to applying to Masters programs, or could I get in to a PsyD program as is? My reach school is the PGSP-Stanford Consortium, but I'm also applying to Alliant SF as well as a few others. Thanks for any help on this.

Regards
Mike

Members don't see this ad.

I think you are fairly competitive for some Psy.Ds programs, but I would apply to both masters and Psy.Ds to be safe. For some Psy.D programs like Baylor, Rutgers, Xavier, and PGSP-Stanford, your stats are little low. PGSP-Stanford is pretty selective and is pretty competitive for Psy.D. Alliant, on the other hand, is not. I think your numbers and stats will get you into the Alliant schools no problem, although I do NOT recommend them. PGSP-Stanford is better, but the price tag is nuts.

Last edited:
Thanks for the response. I knew Baylor and Rutgers were out, but I wasn't sure about PGSP-Stanford. I guess I'll give it a shot. Any other recommendations for middle of the road PsyDs? I saw a thread for PhDs, but couldn't find one for PsyD...

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the response. I knew Baylor and Rutgers were out, but I wasn't sure about PGSP-Stanford. I guess I'll give it a shot. Any other recommendations for middle of the road PsyDs? I saw a thread for PhDs, but couldn't find one for PsyD...

You might still try Baylor. I managed to get an interview there from a fairly weak school and although I had a 4.0 GPA and a 1300 GRE, the rest of my packet was not spectacular.

Mark

Really? I didn't think I'd have any chance at making it into Baylor. I was under the impression that that was the most competitive PsyD around. Good to know, maybe I'll give it a shot. What about Nova southeastern or U of Denver?
Also, It's pretty funny that erg123 and markp have both replied to my thread. you two have commented on dang near every thread on here. I thank you two for all you've been contributing to this forum-community.

Really? I didn't think I'd have any chance at making it into Baylor. I was under the impression that that was the most competitive PsyD around. Good to know, maybe I'll give it a shot. What about Nova southeastern or U of Denver?
Also, It's pretty funny that erg123 and markp have both replied to my thread. you two have commented on dang near every thread on here. I thank you two for all you've been contributing to this forum-community.

Obviously grad school doesn't keep me busy enough. LOL.

Mark