Any input on my timeline?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

la flame

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I'm about to finish my last semester of my BSN program. I thought about doing Pre-med last summer, so I went ahead and signed up to take Gen Chem 2 this current semester which is going extremely well. My biggest problems with my Premed schedule as of now is I don't have any labs done ( Bio 1 & Chem 1/2) because when I applied to nursing school 2 years ago, they weren't required.

My university doesn't allow you to take O-Chem lecture until I've taken Chem 2 Lab as a prereq or coreq.....and I haven't taken Chem 1 lab.....lol. This same thing goes for Bio at my University. I can't take Genetics until I've taken Bio 2 lecture, and I can't do that until Bio 1 lab, etc. The ONLY science classes I took before Nursing school were Bio 1 & Chem 1 (Made an A in both).

Summer 1 Session 2019 = Chem 1 Lab

Summer 2 Session 2019= Ochem 1 Lecture + Chem 2 Lab + Bio 1 Lab

Fall 2019 = Ochem 2 lecture, Ochem 1 Lab, Physics, Bio 2 Lecture + Lab

Spring 2020= Biochem 1 Lecture, Genetics Lecture, Stats, Physics 2

Summer 2020 (June-August)= Study for the MCAT and take in August

I understand taking the MCAT that late is detrimental due to rolling admissions but I feel like studying for a test that will determine my life needs at least 2 months of preparation, especially from what I've seen from other messageboards online.

Financially, I either plan on working at a small clinic PRN as an RN or Home Health where I can make my own schedule. My father has told me he doesn't mind paying for my rent if I'm serious about this career change. Sorry for this big block of text, but any input or advice would be GREATLY appreciated. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Are you planning to work while in summer session 2? If so, that class load + work may have a negative impact on your gpa. Ochem can be a rude awaking for some and labs can be time consuming.

I assume you're attempting to apply for the 2021-2022 app cycle? Looking at your timeline as is and building in wiggle room, you'll be in a good spot to get your app ready and submitted day one. This is assuming you do well on the mcat and have EC's like volunteering, shadowing, and LOR's too.

About the mcat; I wish I was able to give myself more time to prepare. Due to circumstances, I sat for the exam when I wasn't 100% ready and my score reflects this. My advice is to take the time that is necessary to do well, whether that's 2 months or 6 months. Based on some assumptions, you'll have the time to properly prepare and have plenty of time to get your app in order and apply early.

Last edited:
Hopefully you are applying for the 2021-2022 cycle. Otherwise, if you take the MCAT in August, it will not post until September or October, depending on how late in August you take the exam. It takes 4 weeks for your score to post. To have the best chances possible, you want your application and MCAT score submitted by Labor day. Submitting a complete application on the first available day in June will work in your favor.

Don't rush the MCAT. Two months may not be enough unless you're in the zone the entire time and scoring in your ideal range at least two weeks before you sit.

Members don't see this ad :)
Give yourself an extra year to spread classes out. That courseload could be overwhelming once you start working and GPA/MCAT scores are still king in the vast majority of cases. I’ve also tried condensing my pre-reqs but realized early on it doesn’t do any good to rush.

For reference, I take 2 classes with lab right now while working 20-25 hrs/week and volunteering/shadowing/etc.

Reactions: 1 user
Give yourself an extra year to spread classes out. That courseload could be overwhelming once you start working and GPA/MCAT scores are still king in the vast majority of cases. I’ve also tried condensing my pre-reqs but realized early on it doesn’t do any good to rush.

For reference, I take 2 classes with lab right now while working 20-25 hrs/week and volunteering/shadowing/etc.
I am taking prerequisites full time, working full time and parenting two kiddos. It is rough and I don't recommend it.

You also want time to volunteer. There are other ways to stand out and you're not going to have time to improve your extracurriculars if you're working and going to school. Great GPA/MCAT combos are a dime a dozen. Do something unique (which takes time).

Hopefully you are applying for the 2021-2022 cycle. Otherwise, if you take the MCAT in August, it will not post until September or October, depending on how late in August you take the exam. It takes 4 weeks for your score to post. To have the best chances possible, you want your application and MCAT score submitted by Labor day. Submitting a complete application on the first available day in June will work in your favor.

Don't rush the MCAT. Two months may not be enough unless you're in the zone the entire time and scoring in your ideal range at least two weeks before you sit.

Thanks for the advice in this thread.

I'm actually planning on applying as soon as I get my MCAT scores back after August ' 20 . I know it's taking a huge risk applying so late into the 2020-2021 cycle. But lets say I don't get in due to applying so late and not my GPA/MCAT score, would it affect my chances for the following cycle if I apply again ( possibly to different school's as well)? I wasn't aware it took 4 weeks for the MCAT scores to post!

also, I plan on working part time at a clinic in my city; I live in a college town so rent is pretty cheap especially with roomates ($400-550 a month). If work is too much, my father told me he wouldn't mind supporting me with my rent.

Thanks for the advice in this thread.

I'm actually planning on applying as soon as I get my MCAT scores back after August ' 20 . I know it's taking a huge risk applying so late into the 2020-2021 cycle. But lets say I don't get in due to applying so late and not my GPA/MCAT score, would it affect my chances for the following cycle if I apply again ( possibly to different school's as well)? I wasn't aware it took 4 weeks for the MCAT scores to post!

also, I plan on working part time at a clinic in my city; I live in a college town so rent is pretty cheap especially with roomates ($400-550 a month). If work is too much, my father told me he wouldn't mind supporting me with my rent.
Yes, that is risky and yes it can hurt your chances when you reapply. You want to have the best application the first time around. Why the rush? Reapplicants are looked at in a different light and if you didn't take time to improve your application between years, that dings you as well.

That being said, if you are fine with the risk and okay with losing money, take the chance.

Reactions: 1 user