Any insight into dual Psych/Neuro Residency Programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iDOliveinMD

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Would a dual neuro/psych program at say Brown be much more competitive than just the psych or just a neurology residency at Brown? What type of applicant do you think would have a shot? (step 1/2 score, research experience etc.)

Any strong thoughts one way or the other on these programs? Any response would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

List of available Psychiatry/Neurology Programs
Brown University
Medical University of South Carolina
New York University School of Medicine
University of Massachusetts
University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center

Members don't see this ad.

there are so few programs, that your question is very difficult to answer. I bet some years it is more competitive than a straight psych or neuro, but others years maybe less competitive. Generally speaking, there is little utility in doing both residency programs so many applicants will not want the extra training.

Those who seek dual training are in a very small, niche community. As above, I don't think it's possible to answer the question of competitiveness with any sort of reliability as it surely changes. Of the above programs, UMass probably has the longest history and is run by Sheldon Benjamin who has been doing neuropsychiatry education for decades. I think Brown and MUSC have been around a while. Not sure about NYU, and then I think (but could be wrong) that UTSW is a bit newer. The general trend, I think, has been for dual programs to close rather than open.

I'm a behavioral neurologist. I considered the programs but fairly quickly came to the conclusion that they didn't make sense for me. I sought broad training to have a solid foundation in the full scope of behavioral neurology and neuropsychiatry, and I know psychiatrists who've come from that primary specialty who learned a great deal of neurology in their fellowship.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a resident in one of the dual programs currently, and I'm happy to chat with you about your questions. I think the dual-training is an amazing opportunity and makes a lot of sense if you have the right mindset and approach. It is longer than either residency alone, but shorter than the combination, and the same length as doing a residency followed by fellowship. One of the biggest differences is that you can see the whole gamut of neurologic and psychiatric patients, whereas those who trained solely in either specialty have some restriction in that regard, but will have more hyperspecialization in a particular area. You can still hyperspecialize, but doing combined residency is not tantamount to doing a Behavioral Neurology/Neuropsychiatry Fellowship.

In terms of competitiveness, I can only speak for our program, but "goodness of fit" is more important than having higher numbers (albeit, we obviously have cutoffs). We have a clinical track, research track, and educator track, so we look for people of all interests and backgrounds. Combined trainees are overrepresented as Department Chairs and other administrators, tend to draw a higher salary, and Neuro-Psych dual-boarders are more likely to practice both specialties than many other combined programs (check out this paper: Practice and career outcomes of double-boarded psychiatrists. - PubMed - NCBI). Hope that helps get you started.

It's an exciting field and every day makes more and more sense as we grow our understanding of the brain and see that our divisions are often quite arbitrary and not respected by the brain itself.

Best of luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Hi, can I please talk to you about this? I am interested in a combined residency program but not sure what the requirements are.