Any insight on what undergrad school to choose?

nolookpass

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently looking at and have been accepted into NYU, Emory, Stony Brook, Binghamton, and USC. I would like to pursue a career in medicine. What schools of the ones I listed have good pre-med programs with great advising and opportunities. Any pros and cons of each school would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

To start, I'd cross off any that are markedly more expensive than the others.

What school would offer me the best education/opportunities?

Members don't see this ad :)
The more and more I read, the more I see things about choosing the undergrad institution that gives you the most money and does not make you go into debt. I have to visit USC and Emory to see which school I would like the best, but I am leaning towards NYU (if they give me a good financial aid package, which I have heard they don't) since I live only a few hours away from.

Has anyone ever had any experiences with the universities I have listed?

^Thanks, Stony looks pretty enticing now as well since it would be extremely cheap, but I am hoping for good money from NYU or USC (Prefer NYU)

Where did you guys go for undergrad and how was your experiences? Any advice?

UA at Tuscaloosa. I mean there are things you like and things you don't, but that'll be the case everwhere. Overall things have been great. It's my belief that you are primarily the one in control of your undergrad experience (not entirely, but primarily). Advice regarding what specifically?

Go with the school that gives you the least amount of debt and greatest amount of comfort. People make their own happiness at college, so save money and be happy where you are.

In order of importance for me:

1. Can I achieve what I want here?
2. Location
3. Cost
4. Campus "feel"

That's about it. I went to a state school not far from home and commuted for the first few years. Saved a lot of money that way, because I was the one footing the bill.

I am currently looking at and have been accepted into NYU, Emory, Stony Brook, Binghamton, and USC. I would like to pursue a career in medicine. What schools of the ones I listed have good pre-med programs with great advising and opportunities. Any pros and cons of each school would be appreciated.

I'd decide between NYU and Emory, if I were you. But if you go the state route, I take it you're from NY, you can save a lot of money. Unless your parents are rich and don't care, then it doesn't really matter.

What matters more than anything is how hard you work once you get to college. Emory is probably the, for lack of a better word, "best" school you have listed.

Thanks for all your help. Emory does seem like a good choice for undergraduate studies, however I think I have ruled it out my list, since they aren't giving me that much money and I don't think I want to go to Atlanta. I'm leaning towards NYU since it's close by and I would feel comfortable going there, but I am still waiting for their financial aid, which is lackluster to say the least.

Anyone have any experiences with NYU?

UA at Tuscaloosa. I mean there are things you like and things you don't, but that'll be the case everwhere. Overall things have been great. It's my belief that you are primarily the one in control of your undergrad experience (not entirely, but primarily). Advice regarding what specifically?

Roll Tide Roll! UA @ Birmingham here. I chose it because of the big city feel and the diverse campus and such. Plus you can't go wrong in Alabama. Go where you feel it click. You gotta be happy your four years or it will reflect on your grades and such.

I was recently offered 42,000 in grant and scholarship per year from USC, with 5,500 per year in unsubsidized + subsidized loans, totaling around 47,000 in aid. That's just a lot of money that I am not sure if I can pass up :laugh:

I guess I'm leaning towards USC, since it is offering me so much money. Anyone with any experiences there?

Well, let's see...it's in southern California, it's an awesome school, and it's going to be free. You need more info to make a decision?

Well, let's see...it's in southern California, it's an awesome school, and it's going to be free. You need more info to make a decision?

Not really free but about 9000. I got a couple thousand dollars around 4,000 saved up too because of jobs, etc.

Was leaning toward USC just a week ago, but this got even harder because NYU now is offering me around the same package of 43,000 per year, excluding loans. I have taken off Emory off my list because they offered me very little money, same with Stony and Bing.

It's now between NYU and USC, schools on opposite coasts. I know I will hear advice saying go where I will be the happiest, etc, but I am not really sure where I will be the happiest. I have lived in NYC my whole life so I guess I will comfortable in NYU, however I want to experience something new which USC would provide for me.

So I guess my final decision is based on what school will give me the most opportunities/the best education/prepare me well to get into a med school. I know there is no answer, but if anyone has had experiences with the two schools, could you tell me about them. It would be greatly appreciated.

Was leaning toward USC just a week ago, but this got even harder because NYU now is offering me around the same package of 43,000 per year, excluding loans. I have taken off Emory off my list because they offered me very little money, same with Stony and Bing.

It's now between NYU and USC, schools on opposite coasts. I know I will hear advice saying go where I will be the happiest, etc, but I am not really sure where I will be the happiest. I have lived in NYC my whole life so I guess I will comfortable in NYU, however I want to experience something new which USC would provide for me.

So I guess my final decision is based on what school will give me the most opportunities/the best education/prepare me well to get into a med school. I know there is no answer, but if anyone has had experiences with the two schools, could you tell me about them. It would be greatly appreciated.

Both of those universities are top-notch and will definitely provide you with a fantastic prep for med school. Between the two, you pretty much have to decide WHERE do you want to be and do you mind flying all the time to get to USC and home?