Any interview invitations/rejections yet? (Match 2012)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Damn, I am definitely going crazy. I just had a nightmare last night where I apparently didn't certify my rank list. Wouldn't that be just so so so sad?

I'm going to start the stats 2012 thread the early morning of 03-21-12 before I go on rounds. Going on rounds will be ridiculous if I check my email and it says "sorry, you have not matched. Please wait until noon EST for the unmatched list" I think I will just start crying...

I got my CV and letter of intent ready just so I could start flooding directors' email accounts around noon... =)

Members don't see this ad.

I got my CV and letter of intent ready just so I could start flooding directors' email accounts around noon... =)

I wish you luck!

It is very smart to have everything together as you do, just in case.

i pre-emptively asked for the day off, haha...i will have multiple documents at the ready and a backup internet source w/ charged laptops ready.

Oh, and scotch, lots and lots of scotch.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey all.

Do you mind if I ask how much school ranking plays into the residencies you are applying for?

Hey all.

Do you mind if I ask how much school ranking plays into the residencies you are applying for?

The competitive programs (not that any really aren't now-a-days, so I'll say, distinguished) I have interviewed at have had candidates from traditional "top ranking schools" (in my interviews... Kentucky, Arizona, UIC, Utah, Kansas, UNC, Michigan, Colorado).

I haven't met any candidates from "dipolma mills," however, those students may go different directions than the residency route in the first place or perhaps they are just not getting the interviews (Midwest/West Coast). All IMO and experience. Generalizability....eh.

The competitive programs (not that any really aren't now-a-days, so I'll say, distinguished) I have interviewed at have had candidates from traditional "top ranking schools" (in my interviews... Kentucky, Arizona, UIC, Utah, Kansas, UNC, Michigan, Colorado).

I haven't met any candidates from "dipolma mills," however, those students may go different directions than the residency route in the first place or perhaps they are just not getting the interviews (Midwest/West Coast). All IMO and experience. Generalizability....eh.

I would second this. Probably some places could care less where you went to school, while other residency directors said during the interview that they didn't consider apps that came from students of newer schools.

I would second this. Probably some places could care less where you went to school, while other residency directors said during the interview that they didn't consider apps that came from students of newer schools.
I would agree as well. Upon admission, I did not consider the reputation of my school (not realizing it would be an uphill battle for residency. I attend what may be considered a more retail pharmacist mill). For residency, I interviewed with 4 "distinguished" programs; although at midyear I did run into a few programs that said they would not even look at candidates from my school "regardless of how talented they may be". Im happy with the programs I interviewed with.

Hey all.

I know one of the "reputable" programs is leery of future students from an institution if they've had poor experiences in the past. And the opposite holds true as well. At the same time, last year they were making an effort to thoroughly look at apps from people from schools they didn't have much experience with in order to fight the rumors that they only took people from specific schools.

It is amazing what people do or don't put in LORs. When we are preceptors we need to learn to write the best letters we can - not just for the students, but also for the residency directors to decipher what they need from that letter.

My school's hospital's reputation preceded me in my interviews (and those of my peers) due to it being one of the distinguished residency programs despite the school itself being a new one. I think directors were curious and wanted to see if students rotating through that environment would be blessed with some sort of magical clinical powers.

That said, I interviewed side-by-side with students from "highly ranked" rx schools without a problem. Granted, those that give my school a second look (ie those that do not issue blanket "anything post-2000 is a diploma mill" statements) would probably agree that it is not.

So my opinion: individual experiences matter most (rotations, research, personal statement, LOR's), but going to a highly ranked school provides a nice halo effect.

My school's hospital's reputation preceded me in my interviews (and those of my peers) due to it being one of the distinguished residency programs despite the school itself being a new one. I think directors were curious and wanted to see if students rotating through that environment would be blessed with some sort of magical clinical powers.

That said, I interviewed side-by-side with students from "highly ranked" rx schools without a problem. Granted, those that give my school a second look (ie those that do not issue blanket "anything post-2000 is a diploma mill" statements) would probably agree that it is not.

So my opinion: individual experiences matter most (rotations, research, personal statement, LOR's), but going to a highly ranked school provides a nice halo effect.

I go to what basically amounts to the anti-diploma mill if you think about it in terms of how long a school has been around, and interviewed alongside students from confettiflyer's school, and I think applicants from both schools were viewed just as favorably. It's not just the age of the school. New schools can be reputable too, if they have good programs heavy on preparing the students to be good clinical practitioners.

I go to what basically amounts to the anti-diploma mill if you think about it in terms of how long a school has been around, and interviewed alongside students from confettiflyer's school, and I think applicants from both schools were viewed just as favorably. It's not just the age of the school. New schools can be reputable too, if they have good programs heavy on preparing the students to be good clinical practitioners.

haha... 1821, you guys have been churning out pharmacists before my school started churning out physicians in 1824.

speaking to that, students at my school were *constantly* in the territory, under the care, in the employ, or precepted by alumni of bacillus1's school. half my syllabuses and material from IPPE/APPE rotations referred to his school because a preceptor forgot to change it. it gets to the root of "what makes a school good? what makes a school a diploma mill?" and my answer has changed over the years.

His school has churned out thousands of strong clinicians and has the track record whereas my school essentially put the same ingredients together in essentially about the same fashion 3 miles away (even right down to faculty members themselves).

Is there some "intangible goo" that endows one school with the cachet of being a "ranked school" and not another school? Is there some objective measure we can look at with the appropriate statistical analysis (and not some yahoo on SDN bemoaning a 4% difference on the NAPLEX pass rate, which isn't even a valid measure of how "good" a pharmacist is, but I digress...)?

This is why "diploma mills" will succeed, no one knows how to look at them, and those that think they do will get burned but not know it.

Damn, I am definitely going crazy. I just had a nightmare last night where I apparently didn't certify my rank list. Wouldn't that be just so so so sad?

I'm going to start the stats 2012 thread the early morning of 03-21-12 before I go on rounds. Going on rounds will be ridiculous if I check my email and it says "sorry, you have not matched. Please wait until noon EST for the unmatched list" I think I will just start crying...

As an unmatched person from last year, some words of advice if you don't match!

If you're still on rotation, I would definitely discuss with your preceptor that match day is coming up. If you don't match, you will need the rest of the day off as it's a huge emotional blow AND you should be scrambling. Especially after ditzy girls in your class run into the pharmacy screeching about how they matched...rounds were awful. And even if you do match, you'll probably want to celebrate!

Obviously have your CV and a generic cover letter ready, as well as a prefilled form email that you can alter for each specific unmatched site. Everything else after that (LoR, records, etc) will come later.

When the list comes out, it's sorted by state, which is kind of annoying. It also has available openings and basic contact information. I didn't call, because I was worried i'd be "that guy", but since residency is so serious, I would get on the phone in retrospect.

Lower your expectations. You can look up my stats in last year's match thread, and in retrospect were not good enough for the big time. I had a couple options outside of residency, so I only applied to 6 top tier academic medical centers in good geographic areas during the scramble. There were a lot of lesser known names, smaller hospitals, and VAs last year that I think I could have scrambled to, but my mind wasn't open to it at the time. Now that I've been in practice for under a year and know what i've been capable of, I'm pretty confident that I could have a great residency at a lot of these places. Whether i'd want to live there or not is another issue altogether.

After reviewing last years list, some things stand out to me. Cali had a lot of openings, but is obviously the biggest state and will have the most competition. NYC alone had 10+ PGY1 positions, I assume due to cost of living and perceived hostility/licensing issues. In terms of how "good" the programs are...even though there were ~150 open positions, there were a decent amount of academic medical centers and VAs. Additionally, 2 out of the 6 unmatched programs that I emailed had more residency slots than anticipated (due to extra funding, etc), so you could luck out if you have the inside scoop.

After you mass spam emails to programs that you've heard of (and probably some you haven't), I would go over the list again with a higher up, like faculty or RPh coworker, as they may have connections to a particular site or know something you don't. Most involved faculty/preceptors have a lot of connections since they write all the LoRs and have been thru the process as well. In one case, an alum a couple years ahead of me emailed one of my preceptors that his site didn't match enough residents and to send anyone unmatched over.

Good luck and don't let the scramble discourage you if you don't match!

If you're still on rotation, I would definitely discuss with your preceptor that match day is coming up. If you don't match, you will need the rest of the day off as it's a huge emotional blow AND you should be scrambling. Especially after ditzy girls in your class run into the pharmacy screeching about how they matched...rounds were awful. And even if you do match, you'll probably want to celebrate!

Obviously have your CV and a generic cover letter ready, as well as a prefilled form email that you can alter for each specific unmatched site. Everything else after that (LoR, records, etc) will come later.

When the list comes out, it's sorted by state, which is kind of annoying. It also has available openings and basic contact information. I didn't call, because I was worried i'd be "that guy", but since residency is so serious, I would get on the phone in retrospect.

Lower your expectations. You can look up my stats in last year's match thread, and in retrospect were not good enough for the big time. I had a couple options outside of residency, so I only applied to 6 top tier academic medical centers in good geographic areas during the scramble. There were a lot of lesser known names, smaller hospitals, and VAs last year that I think I could have scrambled to, but my mind wasn't open to it at the time. Now that I've been in practice for under a year and know what i've been capable of, I'm pretty confident that I could have a great residency at a lot of these places. Whether i'd want to live there or not is another issue altogether.

After reviewing last years list, some things stand out to me. Cali had a lot of openings, but is obviously the biggest state and will have the most competition. NYC alone had 10+ PGY1 positions, I assume due to cost of living and perceived hostility/licensing issues. In terms of how "good" the programs are...even though there were ~150 open positions, there were a decent amount of academic medical centers and VAs. Additionally, 2 out of the 6 unmatched programs that I emailed had more residency slots than anticipated (due to extra funding, etc), so you could luck out if you have the inside scoop.

After you mass spam emails to programs that you've heard of (and probably some you haven't), I would go over the list again with a higher up, like faculty or RPh coworker, as they may have connections to a particular site or know something you don't. Most involved faculty/preceptors have a lot of connections since they write all the LoRs and have been thru the process as well. In one case, an alum a couple years ahead of me emailed one of my preceptors that his site didn't match enough residents and to send anyone unmatched over.

Thanks for the insight Andy!

I was just curious how to access a list of sites from previous years that scrambled for applicants. I recognize it may be against the rules to release current information to those who didn't register for the match, so if it is, I apologize.

I did a quick title search for "scramble" on the Pharmacy Forums but was unable to find anything.

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the insight Andy!

I was just curious how to access a list of sites from previous years that scrambled for applicants. I recognize it may be against the rules to release current information to those who didn't register for the match, so if it is, I apologize.

I did a quick title search for "scramble" on the Pharmacy Forums but was unable to find anything.

Thanks in advance!

You cannot access those lists, they required being registered for the match to access them. They were wiped when this years cycle started.

Thank you for the advice psychoandy.

I'm one of those individuals that is, or was, close to confident, yet modest, that I will end up in one of my top two, but feel that I will get completely screwed over and will have to scramble, and hear the "ditzy girls screech as they get match" Lol. As the days go by, my confidence dwindles little by little, and I even spoke to my preceptor about this.

And yes, I really do think I should take the day off so I've decided that if I get matched, I will finish the day like an ordinary day and do my victory dance when I get home and that if I don't, I will beg my professor to let me go home and get ready for scramble. But from what I was told, an unmatched applicant is better off staying on site with a well connected preceptor who can tell you the pro and cons of what they know about the sites that are on the unmatched list and can pull in their connections so that they can make a personal call to their "acquaintance" in the pharmacy world to get you a position. If that's the case, wouldnt I want my preceptor by my side?

Another thing I have been thinking about is just to glance at the unmatched list and if none of them suits my taste (which I am very flexible and am pretty okay with most programs) and would rather not go through a more tragic version of the interview process all of us have experienced these past few months, I think I may stay on with the hospital I intern at, which is a viable option. I may reapply next year since I am still young with no obligations or boundaries. But I think I do not have energy for it anymore :( I know I sound like a baby but why force what was meant to be?

Anyone either interview in the same situation or have an advice for someone who doesn't have hospital rotations before midyear? This is for next year. I just got my APPE schedule and received all the rotations I wanted, just not in an ideal order.

Anyone either interview in the same situation or have an advice for someone who doesn't have hospital rotations before midyear? This is for next year. I just got my APPE schedule and received all the rotations I wanted, just not in an ideal order.

Nothing clinical even remotely? What do you have prior to Midyear?

Nothing clinical even remotely? What do you have prior to Midyear?

Block 1 - Advanced Community - Wags
Block 2 - Long term care - quasi mailorder/retirement home supplier from what I hear
Block 3 - Community - MTM services only
Block 4 - Elective Research - Outcomes research elective rotation with a faculty that did a fellowship in outcomes research

Midyear

Block 5 - Am Care - Indigent clinic
Block 6 - Acute Care/IM
Block 7 - Advanced Hospital
Block 8 - ID

I'm thinking my only option is to spin the outcomes research elective. I'm trying to work up some sort of project to start on now with that professor and finish up then for a midyear poster and have something decent to talk about during interview.

MTM service might also be a good one as it will require a lot of clinical review skills and patient interaction/communication.

Last edited:
MTM service might also be a good one as it will require a lot of clinical review skills and patient interaction/communication. Definitely the research one. But any prior hospital experience outside APPE rotations? The reason for hospital/clinical early exposure is to determine if you're actually interested in doing residency, to see if it's worth a trip to Las Vegas for midyear and all the stress going through the next one or two year post-graduation ... not so much in getting LORs and stuff.

Only volunteering outpatient at a VAMC which is more or less retail with some hospital exposure. LOVE ID though so residency is definitely for me. I go to ID case presentations every week given by ID fellows at a major teaching hospital. I just worry about not having as much clinical experience/knowledge as other kids and not being able to properly convey my commitment to clinical hospital pharmacy as a career.

Any chance you can switch out one of your community rotations for something more clinical? Or is your guys' schedule pretty much set in stone?

MTM service might also be a good one as it will require a lot of clinical review skills and patient interaction/communication. Definitely the research one. But any prior hospital experience outside APPE rotations? The reason for hospital/clinical early exposure is to determine if you're actually interested in doing residency, to see if it's worth a trip to Las Vegas for midyear and all the stress going through the next one or two year post-graduation ... not so much in getting LORs and stuff.
No hospital experience outside of rotations and quasi hospital in outpatient at VA.

Any chance you can switch out one of your community rotations for something more clinical? Or is your guys' schedule pretty much set in stone?
Its kinda more or less set in stone. I tried to switch but couldn't get any thing worked out.

I'm nervous about tomorrow and I'm not even trying to match this year :laugh:

Weirdo :smuggrin: I've come around to not hating ID quite so much but I'm still scarred from therapeutics.

Hey! ID is the bomb! :)

Spent 40 hours preparing for a 1 hr febrile neutropenia guideline and case presentation. Even prepared several graphs to help student study drugs and spectrum. The feedback from the P4s were "it was too niche" "too advanced"... blaaaah! Ungrateful little... grumble.

Good luck tomorrow morning everyone!

--Garfield3d

Hey! ID is the bomb! :)

Spent 40 hours preparing for a 1 hr febrile neutropenia guideline and case presentation. Even prepared several graphs to help student study drugs and spectrum. The feedback from the P4s were "it was too niche" "too advanced"... blaaaah! Ungrateful little... grumble.

I feel like F&N is hated by all the ID people I know.