Opinion: Rejections

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

phar123

Reaction score
I don't know if anyone else feels like this, or I am just overthinking things (PER USUAL :lol:)

I swear, though, I have received some rejections that are very rude and stand-offish, and some that were still really heartfelt and personal, almost as if they were actually disappointed they couldn't invite you. Sure, a rejection is a rejection, and there are "standard" ways of sending them... I don't know.

Just to give an example of what I mean. Today, I received one from a very competitive program. I was expecting the typical "unfortunately, we cannot invite you for an interview at this time." Instead, I was thanked for my dedication to the profession and for my passion to continue my training. I was even given the # of applicants for my reference. It even used a line that I SWEAR mirrored a sentence I had in my LOI. It felt... real. Maybe it wasn't personal at all... and that was just the standard reply of their program-- but somehow it let me down a little more gentle than a previous rejection I received that felt unenthusiastic and cold. (Also, this email made me feel as though if I applied there for PGY-2 they would seriously re-consider me, but I may be reading too much into particular words)

Curious what other peoples opinions are. Have you felt the same way at all? Do you feel like there is a true difference in a rejection? Or do you think "whatever, either way it was a rejection." LMK below! :pompous:

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Honestly I wouldn't read too much into either end of your letter spectrum. What you perceive as being cold is likely just a generic letter sent to the possibly hundreds of applicants for that program, because people genuinely do not have the time to personally comfort every rejected applicant. I will say I once had an overly-apologetic sounding rejection that made it sound as though I was higher up on their list, but it was still a rejection.

though worth noting, just because you were rejected for a PGY1 at a program doesn't mean you would be rejected for their PGY2 in a year, do not let that discourage you if it's a program you're interested in. You will have all new experiences from PGY1 to show on your CV and speak to in a LOI. Same goes for if you interview somewhere and don't match there - if anything it shows dedication to their program.

Reactions: 1 users
To me a rejection is a rejection. Does it really matter what the flavor of it is?

Members don't see this ad :)
Words can't express tone and/or emotions. Like the poster above, a rejection is a rejection. For me, I am just happy to hear from them whether it is a rejection or an invite, at least you know and don't have to dread over waiting forever :)

So wondering when is it ever appropriate to ask a program why they rejected you..A few of my top programs rejected me so thought it would be nice to know why in case they have spots open for Phase 2.

So wondering when is it ever appropriate to ask a program why they rejected you..A few of my top programs rejected me so thought it would be nice to know why in case they have spots open for Phase 2.
I have done this. I have reached out and first WARMLY stated i accepted their decision, thank them for the opportunity, and wanted constructive criticism moving forward. Hit or miss with responses back.

Never. Programs are too busy to deal with rejection inquiries. The usual reason is that you didn't get the minimum amount of points on the program's scoring rubric.

Reactions: 2 users
Never. Programs are too busy to deal with rejection inquiries. The usual reason is that you didn't get the minimum amount of points on the program's scoring rubric.
Agreed. I'm not an RPD but I can say that if someone emailed me I'd likely give them a generic answer that they didn't meet our minimum requirements, or that the application pool was full of strong candidates. Because at the end of the day, that's the reality. It may not have been one glaringly big thing that didn't get you an interview, and there are a TON of qualified applicants.

Agreed. I'm not an RPD but I can say that if someone emailed me I'd likely give them a generic answer that they didn't meet our minimum requirements, or that the application pool was full of strong candidates. Because at the end of the day, that's the reality. It may not have been one glaringly big thing that didn't get you an interview, and there are a TON of qualified applicants.

Yeah I actually asked, and I didn’t get specifics liked I’d hoped. I was worried it could’ve been a reference or something else I could change. Unfortunately, I got a generic answer like this that didn’t give me specifics. My question to the RPD wasn’t really answered because I asked for specifics to my application. But I think it all depends on the program. I read that one person had asked the exact same thing to a program he got rejected from and they told him he had a reference that recommended him “with reservations”. That’s huge. Now he’s going to get a new reference for phase 2 since all he’s been getting is rejections right now. I’m not opposed to asking especially if you’re getting a lot of rejections and you have a good GPA. It’s possible a bigger program would give a generic answer due to the applicant pool size, but it’s worth a try.

Yeah I actually asked, and I didn’t get specifics liked I’d hoped. I was worried it could’ve been a reference or something else I could change. Unfortunately, I got a generic answer like this that didn’t give me specifics. My question to the RPD wasn’t really answered because I asked for specifics to my application. But I think it all depends on the program. I read that one person had asked the exact same thing to a program he got rejected from and they told him he had a reference that recommended him “with reservations”. That’s huge. Now he’s going to get a new reference for phase 2 since all he’s been getting is rejections right now. I’m not opposed to asking especially if you’re getting a lot of rejections and you have a good GPA. It’s possible a bigger program would give a generic answer due to the applicant pool size, but it’s worth a try.

If you can’t write a good recommendation for somebody and you write it with reservations just dont agree to write one then, I don’t think it’s right to do that

Reactions: 1 users
If you can’t write a good recommendation for somebody and you write it with reservations just dont agree to write one then, I don’t think it’s right to do that

Yeah the reference writer has the choices of checking, highly recommend, recommend, recommend with reservations, and do not recommend. I completely agree, but people don’t always do that. I had a preceptor tell me he would never write a recommendation if he couldn’t do a highly recommend. They know what’s at stake. Just say no, I wouldn’t be the best person.

Yeah, I agree. They probably won't have time. Guess we'll have to live with the mystery..