Any Jobs PK related?

Started by Oink
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Oink

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guys. I was thinking what I would want to do after I graduate pharmacy school, and I was wondering if there are any jobs out there for someone who really likes PK. PK is the only subject I actually enjoy, and I can't see myself enjoying a job in a retail pharmacy. I also don't really like research either. Any advice or knowledge would be greatly appreciated!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Clinical pharmacology group within pharma companies hire fellowship trained pharmacists to do PK work. The work is mainly population pharmacokinetics analysis for drugs in development. If still interested PM me, I can give you more info.
 
I know most jobs are retail, but I am just trying to explore other options out there. Most of the people I meet are either going for a residency or retail job. Since PK is the only class that's interesting to me, I thought I'd start off by exploring jobs that relate to PK.
 
I know most jobs are retail, but I am just trying to explore other options out there. Most of the people I meet are either going for a residency or retail job. Since PK is the only class that's interesting to me, I thought I'd start off by exploring jobs that relate to PK.

Where do you go to school? My school offers a dual degree PharmD/MS in Pharmacometrics. You graduate in the same amount of time, and the one student who did it and graduated this past year just got a job with the FDA. Not sure if your program offers anything similar. Of course, this is more population PK and modeling as opposed to clinical PK in a single patient.
 
You can dose vanco and aminoglycosides pretty regularly in many inpatient jobs, and some LTC positions too. I imagine it would get kind of old just plugging in values for the same thing all the time, but to each their own.
 
Any clinical pharmacist should be able to dose any of the pk dependent antibiotics for 95% of the population.

A "pk specialist" would be the person to ask for the other 5% of the population (I.e. s/p partial or full nephrectomy, morbidly obese, significant limb amputation).

Nevertheless, most that train in pk would be better suited in pharma, FDA, or academia.
 
Where do you go to school? My school offers a dual degree PharmD/MS in Pharmacometrics. You graduate in the same amount of time, and the one student who did it and graduated this past year just got a job with the FDA. Not sure if your program offers anything similar. Of course, this is more population PK and modeling as opposed to clinical PK in a single patient.

My school doesn't offer a degree like that. I think we only offer a dual PharmD/PhD degree. We're also an accelerated all year long school.