Any Korean-American Premeds out therE?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
undignified said:
i think Chinese ppl are very compatable with Koreans.. is that true?? Just felt that the two cultures are very similar.. Oh and Chinese people are addicted to Korean dramas... :)

HAHA, I remember I use to date a girl that made me watch them. No offense guys, but I could not stand them. I think we watched something called "Autumn Story" and the girl got cancer or something and fell in love with her brother. She cried literally every 3 minutes. It wasn't because of her cancer or the fact that she was committing incest, she just cried for the sake of crying. I was so glad when she got hit by that car right after her brother and her got engaged, who BTW looks like a woman and has obviously had tons of plastic surgery. Sorry guys, don't mean to hate. I love Korean people and all my friends are Korean, but man, yall's shows are wacked...

Members don't see this ad.

LOL...the beginning of that drama was good.. but then it just got weird.. not all korean's commit incest hehe

na do han gook in!! :p

Members don't see this ad :)
:thumbup: 대한민국~! :thumbup:

undignified said:
i think Chinese ppl are very compatable with Koreans.. is that true?? Just felt that the two cultures are very similar.. Oh and Chinese people are addicted to Korean dramas... :)

lol. :laugh: :laugh: i am not a tv person, but my friends are. and they are completely, legally addicted to korean dramas. :laugh:

when i was young, my mother forced me..to watch this really crestfallen korean movie (w/ english subtitle of course). if my memory serves me well, the movie is about a doctor who dies at the end of the movie b/c he smokes. the sad thing is that he has a girlfriend who loves him dramatically.
oh my goodness, i remember my mother and aunt cried so hard after they watched the ending, so i had to get a bunch of tissue paper for them. :laugh: what a memory...
korean directors..you guys are super good at making the audience cries...seriously.

my friends are so excited about this new korean movie, and i believe the title is typhoon (not certain.)

sam012 said:
:thumbup: 대한민국~! :thumbup:

translation will be nice? :)

e_phn said:
translation will be nice? :)

Opps I guess you guys can't see my Korean fonts; " Dae Han Min Gook~!" is what I wrote if u know what it means. ^^ By the way, are you really "E Puh" E_Phn~? cute hello kitty :love:

e_phn said:
yeah, it's true. the chinese economy is blooming like crazy, and i think they might even beat the US's economy one day (are they now though? i haven't follow the news a lot lately). china has a lot of wealthy ppl(man, they spend their money like crazy over there)

Woah, China's economy is the fastest growing in the world right now, but it's got a loooong way to go before catching up with the U.S. (per capita GDP $6,300 vs $42,000). There's a rapidly growing middle class in the urban centers, but you can't ignore that the rural areas remain substantially poor.

e_phn said:
yeah, it's true. the chinese economy is blooming like crazy, and i think they might even beat the US's economy one day (are they now though? i haven't follow the news a lot lately). :laugh:

not even close...china is 4th in terms of GDP, trailing germany, japan and the US

undignified said:

probably because china has the been the epicenter of asia before the westerners...koreans follow confucian values and their written language used to be chinese...and yes, korean drama is crazy, taking over japan and china!

DrHuang said:
yes, korean drama is crazy, taking over japan and china!

perhaps, taking over the u.s. also. almost all my caucasion and asian friends watch korena dramas. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
CptCrunch said:
I think we Chinese have officially hijacked this thread.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
i'm not fully chinese btw.

anybody watch the soccer game today...

CptCrunch said:
centers, but you can't ignore that the rural areas remain substantially poor.

i remember seeing all this pictures..it was so sad to see so many chinese who live in rural areas; their clothes were so messy and dirty.
i feel so bad for them, and it makes me realize how grateful i am to live in the U.S....where i have enough food to eat and clothes to wear each day.

e_phn said:
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
i'm not fully chinese btw.

we might even take over the world someday.

What's your other half? Or third? Or some fraction I can't even comprehend?

Should a thread for KOREAN americans recede this far back into the list of unreplied threads? NEVAH! My post has brought this thread back to the attention of Korean Americans, talk amongst yourselves, my job here is done.

i'm a half-chinese mutt, too, but i will give this thread some support and say hotdamn korean dramas are good! (especially "Jewel in the Palace", where in every episode I'm drooling...over the food, that is, not so much the guys). anyone agree?

lol.. english translations for korean drama titles are so funny :laugh:
thanks guys for keeping the thread alive, even though like all of you guys are chinese!! hehe much love to chinese peeps :love: i wish i would be in china this summer... it was so easy to adapt to china... i wonder if a MD earned from the U.S. could be used to practice in rural areas in china.. like medical missions??

undignified said:
i wonder if a MD earned from the U.S. could be used to practice in rural areas in china.. like medical missions??

thats what i want to eventually do...after i make my millions that is :laugh:

I am soooo addicted to korean dramas. But i now despise ones that are too sappy, inscest, cancer, amnesia, poor girl, poor guy, you get my drift.. I'm into the comedy korean dramas now...they are hilarious! Even tho its kinda old, one of my favorites is Full House. Bi is very entertaining. Im going to Korea in three weeks! Maybe i'll run into some korean celebs. ;)

Just make sure to watch the dramas on fast forward.

Gracey103 said:
I am soooo addicted to korean dramas. But i now despise ones that are too sappy, inscest, cancer, amnesia, poor girl, poor guy, you get my drift.. I'm into the comedy korean dramas now...they are hilarious! Even tho its kinda old, one of my favorites is Full House. Bi is very entertaining. Im going to Korea in three weeks! Maybe i'll run into some korean celebs. ;)

you know what, i actually saw Jan Dong-Kun and Lee Jung-jae the other day w/ my friends. they were here in the U.S. weird.

Gracey103 said:

well, this is an old one (from last year, but still newer than the "jewel in the palace" one), but it was the BEST funniest korean drama i've seen: "my name is kim sam soon" it's about a foul-mouthed pastry chef that doesn't fit the mold of other korean "agashi"s but gets her man in the end. it is sooooo funny. i think it's funnier if you can understand the actual korean dialogue though, rather than having to read the subtitles...

and i think these days a drama called "palace" is really popular there.

my siblings are addicted to "full house" and "palace".

Hi! It's relieving/exciting to see other krn pre-meds!!hehe
I was freaking out since I'm leaving for Korea next week, and I am trying to finish up AMCAS and TMDSAS (for TX schools) before I leave.
Aren't you guys all excited about World Cup on the other hand? I donno if we are going to be able to excel like 2002, but I'm just praying for the better!=D
boo for 1:1 on Korea vs. Senegal yesterday (although it was for practice) though

Jedix123 said:
Just make sure to watch the dramas on fast forward.

i could watch dramas with song hye gyo in them with the volume muted...in fact when full house was playing on tv dubbed in chinese (i already saw it in korean) i watched anyway

hustleandflow said:
i could watch dramas with song hye gyo in them with the volume muted...in fact when full house was playing on tv dubbed in chinese (i already saw it in korean) i watched anyway

hmmm...she sounds familiar. is she that famous korean model?

she's an actress...autumn fairy tale and full house, among others
but unlike other korean actresses, she hasn't had plastic surgery (well i guess no one knows this for sure except for her, but she's looked the same for her entire life so i highly doubt it)
all korean singers and actresses who get their eyes enlarged end up looking like clones, so it's nice to see someone who hasn't gone under the knife

Do you guys think Boa is cute? NE opinions for non-Koreans? :laugh:

hustleandflow said:
she's an actress...autumn fairy tale and full house, among others
but unlike other korean actresses, she hasn't had plastic surgery (well i guess no one knows this for sure except for her, but she's looked the same for her entire life so i highly doubt it)
all korean singers and actresses who get their eyes enlarged end up looking like clones, so it's nice to see someone who hasn't gone under the knife

LOL. actually there are a lot of actresses who haven't gone under the knife at all. like kim hee-sun, go so-young, huh-rae-won and song sun-mi (i actually went to high school with song sun-mi) etc. i'm sure there are more who are born naturally pretty too. there are a lot of false allegations out there about certain celebrities' "before and after pictures". but you are right also about there being a lot of people who do get plastic surgery. it's not as drastic as people think though. if you are butt-ugly, no amount of plastic surgery will help you. you will look kinda *wierd*, and people can always tell!

hustleandflow said:

:laugh:

sam012 said:
Do you guys think Boa is cute? NE opinions for non-Koreans? :laugh:

hmmm. i heard this name a lot from my cousin; i think i saw her picture once, and i thought she was okay looking. she is pretty short though.

bubbleyum said:
LOL. actually there are a lot of actresses who haven't gone under the knife at all. like kim hee-sun, go so-young, huh-rae-won and song sun-mi (i actually went to high school with song sun-mi) etc. i'm sure there are more who are born naturally pretty too. there are a lot of false allegations out there about certain celebrities' "before and after pictures". but you are right also about there being a lot of people who do get plastic surgery. it's not as drastic as people think though. if you are butt-ugly, no amount of plastic surgery will help you. you will look kinda *wierd*, and people can always tell!

what high school did you go to? let's keep this thread alive...one day we will surpass the 100000 page vcu thread (was it strange to anyone else that vcu had the most active thread over the past year, hands down?)

too bad, most ppl here are not korean, but they are chinese. :laugh:

hustleandflow said:
what high school did you go to? let's keep this thread alive...one day we will surpass the 100000 page vcu thread (was it strange to anyone else that vcu had the most active thread over the past year, hands down?)

i went to a high school in pusan, korea called "duk-moon girls' high school." u know the actress choi ji-woo (from the popular drama where she dies of cancer or something, stars with bae yong-joon) went to school there too, but she was a year below us. now she has had some plastic surgery, i think she fixed her jawline and possibly her nose. oh well.

oh yeah, did u guys see the trailer for the new keanu reeves, sandra bullock movie? called "the lake house" where two people living 2 years apart or something fall in love, haha. it's a remake of a korean movie called "shi-wol-ae."

http://www.apple.com/trailers/wb/thelakehouse

bubbleyum said:
i went to a high school in pusan, korea called "duk-moon girls' high school." u know the actress choi ji-woo (from the popular drama where she dies of cancer or something, stars with bae yong-joon) went to school there too, but she was a year below us. now she has had some plastic surgery, i think she fixed her jawline and possibly her nose. oh well.

hmm does anyone think choi ji woo is cross eyed?

Honestly, I watch a lot of korean dramas but i dont really pay attention to the names of the actors/actresses unless they're like really famous. So for the most part even tho I prolly saw their drama, I wouldn't recognize the name.

bump

just brought this thread back up because it's world cup time again. GO KOREA!! Dae han min gook!

hey peeps.
nice to see koreans being represented.
i was born in s.korea and immigrated at 5.
i'm 23 now, so pretty much assimilated in the u.s.
but i life in the midwest so i always get the question, "what native country are you from". chinese is usually the first guess and then some other random asian country. cause we all look alike, you know.

where are you guys in the application process?
i'm going to take the mcat april of 07 and apply that summer. hopefully begin med school fall of 08.

XX XX X Dae Han Min Gook!

PA JA
SONG TANG GOUM

=

CRAZY DELICIOUS

Although I am half korean, I gotta still represent!

(dunno if there is also a taiwanese premed thread)

Let's go Korea!
Let's kick ass in the world cup tournament!

Anyway I'm a Korean American premed going to UCSD patiently (not) waiting for my April MCAT score.

Wow there's been a lot of talk about Korean celebrity in this thread it seems.

Personally, I don't care much for the Korean celebs at all.
Not only are they mostly unnatural in many ways, the images they portray on TV are completely fake, and most of them live as expensive prostitutes to powerful people in Korea.

What's to fantasize about something like that?

So pretty much no interest in Korean television for me.

I only watch TV for sports... no American soaps, no Korean soaps, etc.

bumping...

Did you know that in 2004-2005 there were only about 350 koreans that matriculated into med school out of 16,500? Not as many koreans as I imagined. From personal experience, most of the koreans I kno want to be lawyers.