Any LDS pre-meds out there?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pitutinho

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone? If so please share about your college experience/plans on your road to med school! Also if anyone is applying to med school please share!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Someone I know said he doubts if Learning Disabled Students (LDS) can make it past the MCAT.

Not LDS but I grew up in SLC (went away for college), and did a postbacc and worked at the U for a few years.

I've met more crazy creationists/fundamentalists in Ohio (moved here last year) and on the East coast than I ever did in Utah.

Thought the title was "LSD premeds"

Extreme disappointment

I don't think the path to med school be especially different/notable/challenging for a Mormon (in regard to his/her Mormonism).

Oh... unless they do that uniform-wearing, bike-riding, mission trip thing after high-school. That might be something different to put down on their application? That's all I can think of.

Oh, this thread reminds me:

I met a Mormon on the interview trail who was trying to proselytize me :rolleyes:. It was... an interesting conversation.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not LDS personally but one of my best friends is Mormon and strongly considering med school. He goes to BYU-Idaho and just got back from his mission trip in Argentina. One of the smartest guys I know from one of the most fun families I know.

I'm not LDS personally but one of my best friends is Mormon and strongly considering med school. He goes to BYU-Idaho and just got back from his mission trip in Argentina. One of the smartest guys I know from one of the most fun families I know.

Oh man, I know like 5 Mormon college students that went to Argentina for 2 years, too. Is there something particularly compelling about that place?

Oh man, I know like 5 Mormon college students that went to Argentina for 2 years, too. Is there something particularly compelling about that place?

Lots of non-Mormons to convert?

I don't know, but it's crazy because his brother ended up being sent to Spain, where he is now. When he gets back they can compare Spanish accents! :laugh:

What are everyone's feelings about the whole 2 year bike riding mission thing? Hypothetically do you think it would have a net positive/negative impact on admissions process?

Ibn4 net negative

I would not find pre-med or medical school particularily challenging for someone raised in the church. It would be hard to concurrently hold a church calling, raise a family (earlier the better! :banana:) pay tithes, refrain from studying on Sundays, avoid caffeine (I saw you drink that Mountain Dew! :nono:) and keep up on your BOM et al. :sendoff: studies.

Srsly? Then when else can you study for Monday tests? Saturday?! Blasphemy!

Sunday is the Sabbath=no studying or working. You are allowed to read the scriptures and take naps.

Ruh oh, conflicting interpretations of the same divine absolute truth.

Better start your own church.

But you don't take a day off when your ox is in the mire.

Don't blow off studying all week and only do it on Sunday, but if you have too much to study for (as is frequently the case in medical school) then you have to look at the bigger picture.

Somewhat of a tangent, but when In-N-Out Burger opened in Draper it was funny to go there late Sunday night and watch the rush of Mormons who would come through after midnight.

I grew up in the mormon church and went until I was 15. My parents are still very active in the church, but I stopped going because I don't like organized religion.

As far as not studying on Sundays goes, that is not a rule I ever learned. We were taught that we shouldn't work and should avoid other places of business on Sundays because it is approving that others working on the Sabbath is ok. Studying is learning. You can still rest and study at the same time. Everyone interprets rules differently.... which is why I have a difficult time with organized religion.

I am a former Mormon. Converted to a Protestant denomination in college. In college I was pretty involved in the arts. Theater, music, etc. Had a typical science major and worked several jobs. VERY hectic.

I am applying to medical school now.

I'm LDS, and there is definitely nothing wrong with studying/learning on Sundays.

I grew up in the mormon church and went until I was 15. My parents are still very active in the church, but I stopped going because I don't like organized religion.

As far as not studying on Sundays goes, that is not a rule I ever learned. We were taught that we shouldn't work and should avoid other places of business on Sundays because it is approving that others working on the Sabbath is ok. Studying is learning. You can still rest and study at the same time. Everyone interprets rules differently.... which is why I have a difficult time with organized religion.

There are so many unwritten rules. Like my parents don't like candles because it reminds them of witchcraft. I was never allowed to play cards (still have never learned) because it was close to gambling. My son had a pretend lighter on his iPod, and my dad flipped out on me. Arghh!

I'm LDS, and there is definitely nothing wrong with studying/learning on Sundays.

Then you are lucky. I had to cram all my studies on Saturday for Monday and do nothing but church on Sunday while growing up. We had a few options on Sunday: play outside, read the scriptures, nap, or make dinner (except for when we fasted). My parents also would not allow video games or TV/movies on Sundays. No wonder why I'm such a heathen now!

Then you are lucky. I had to cram all my studies on Saturday for Monday and do nothing but church on Sunday while growing up. We had a few options on Sunday: play outside, read the scriptures, nap, or make dinner (except for when we fasted). My parents also would not allow video games or TV/movies on Sundays. No wonder why I'm such a heathen now!

Haha wow you had it pretty rough. I'd say your situation is the exception rather than the norm.

Haha wow you had it pretty rough. I'd say your situation is the exception rather than the norm.

Most of the other families in my area lived under the same rules. I feel bad for my sister who lives in Utah and gets all excited just to watch Tangled. Poor girl. :(

There are so many unwritten rules. Like my parents don't like candles because it reminds them of witchcraft. I was never allowed to play cards (still have never learned) because it was close to gambling. My son had a pretend lighter on his iPod, and my dad flipped out on me. Arghh!

We call those "mormon cultural rules/norms" Mormon Culture drives me crazy, but I tend to like the people.

We call those "mormon cultural rules/norms" Mormon Culture drives me crazy, but I tend to like the people.

Yeah, the people are good. I still talk to a lot of them. :)

I'm a Mormon, and find not studying on Sundays has not just been a spiritual blessing, but a mental and physical one as well. I'd suggest anyone here to give it a try, take one day and relax, ponder, meditate, visit with family and friends, serve others, and study ideas of an uplifting and eternal nature, then see how they feel the rest of the week.

Latter Day Saint here! Already have kiddos. Do study on Sundays (but usually very late in the evenings) Play UNO. Own candles AND a lighter!
I do believe the holding and fulfilling church callings will be one of the most interesting balancing acts in med school, along with family. Also, if one goes the D.O. Route, having to strip down in OMM lab could be an issue with some LDS students, but there's a whole thread on that if you search for sports bras and no men allowed.
Two of the MDs in my ward went to Loma Lina and loved it.

This just reminds me of high school with the 100 Mormons in our class.

And that movie Latter Days.

Latter Day Saint here! Already have kiddos. Do study on Sundays (but usually very late in the evenings) Play UNO. Own candles AND a lighter!
I do believe the holding and fulfilling church callings will be one of the most interesting balancing acts in med school, along with family. Also, if one goes the D.O. Route, having to strip down in OMM lab could be an issue with some LDS students, but there's a whole thread on that if you search for sports bras and no men allowed.
Two of the MDs in my ward went to Loma Lina and loved it.

:confused: That doesn't make any sense--I can understand (barely) Muslims having discomforts with that, but not Mormons at all.

And I'm very LDS. Although I guess in any religion you'll always have weirdos who can't take things in perspective. It's just frustrating how it's always the "weird minority" that gets to set the embarrassing and inappropriate stereotypes while the silent majority just roll their eyes.

So, out of curiosity...what is the plan for when you (and by you I mean any Mormon) are you know, a doctor? Depending on your specialty you could swing Sundays off every week but there's no avoiding it in residency.

There's nothing wrong with taking Sundays off. The only thing I used to do on Sundays in premed was play video games, go work out, or volunteer in a hospital.

Not studying on Sunday can't possibly hurt your academics in undergrad.

:confused: That doesn't make any sense--I can understand (barely) Muslims having discomforts with that, but not Mormons at all.

And I'm very LDS. Although I guess in any religion you'll always have weirdos who can't take things in perspective. It's just frustrating how it's always the "weird minority" that gets to set the embarrassing and inappropriate stereotypes while the silent majority just roll their eyes.

So you cannot understand why a woman that has been taught to stay covered since childhood may have discomfort undressing in front of a class? Esp those of Muslim faith that are way more covered than most LDS? How is that the "weird minority" that embarrass you for keeping their standards? And how is it inappropriate?
I personally would deal with it, but I know of others that would have a hard time with it. The schools in AZ that have a high LDS student ratio allow
Tshirts. I mentioned OMM lab because it is something different for members to deal with outside of the norm.

So, out of curiosity...what is the plan for when you (and by you I mean any Mormon) are you know, a doctor? Depending on your specialty you could swing Sundays off every week but there's no avoiding it in residency.

Most LDS docs I know do what has to be done. They make it known that they would like Sundays off and usually others try and help. Residency is another issue all together. They try and make it to sacrament service as often as they can. They usually end up reading scriptures for a few moments on Sundays if they are on.
It was the same when I worked as an ICU nurse for ten years. I worked many Sundays. I took a quiet moment in the chapel for a few minutes and tried to read and pray. You just adapt.
And there are many faiths that keep the Sabbath day holy, not just LDS.