You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Any legitimate reason for prescribing the Holy Trinity?
Started by SpartanLaser
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
I had one that would write for Xanax, Percocet, and Adderall to essentially every patient. We started turning away all of his cash patients (pay $100 in cash, name your prescription). Eventually, the DEA raided his office and he was out of his mind drunk. He had nighttime hours. Come in the veil of darkness and get fixed up. He also lived in his clinic; it doubled as his love shack.
Rural healthcare baby
Rural healthcare baby
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Haha I didn't know others referred to it as the Holy Trinity either. It seemed many patients were on all 3 of those meds, seemed way more frequent than it should be. Everyone had work related injuries resulting in anxiety, muscle spasms and chronic pain at age 35.
This patient called me requesting her diazepam, clonazepam, and trizolam all be refilled at once because her "work was very stressful". Sigh....
I call them the triplets.
I remember hearing about a doctor like that but in Tulsa. It was a her. She lived in her office and saw patients 24/7. Xanax, Norco, and prometh/codeine. Eventually got busted. There is a good story about a doctor in Oklahoma City who was busted as running a fake pain clinic and had his medical license revoked. He blamed it on racism.
I had one that would write for Xanax, Percocet, and Adderall to essentially every patient. We started turning away all of his cash patients (pay $100 in cash, name your prescription). Eventually, the DEA raided his office and he was out of his mind drunk. He had nighttime hours. Come in the veil of darkness and get fixed up. He also lived in his clinic; it doubled as his love shack.
Rural healthcare baby
I remember hearing about a doctor like that but in Tulsa. It was a her. She lived in her office and saw patients 24/7. Xanax, Norco, and prometh/codeine. Eventually got busted. There is a good story about a doctor in Oklahoma City who was busted as running a fake pain clinic and had his medical license revoked. He blamed it on racism.
No.I have this MD that gives literally every other patient this combo:
1. percocet or norco 5/325-10/325
2. a benzo
3. soma
Is there really any legitimate medical reason for prescribing this? If they are having muscle pain, why not zanaflex or baclofen?
"The three drugs include: hydrocodone, a narcotic known by brand names like Vicodin; alprazolam, an anti-anxiety drug known as Xanax; and carisoprodol, a muscle relaxant known as Soma.
Dr. C.M. Schade, past president of the Texas Pain Society, says he knows of no legitimate medical reason for a doctor to prescribe all three together."
How else do you treat "terribly sad life syndrome"? Or, after I put on my flame suit, fibro,migraines, and/or chronic fatigue?
lolThis patient called me requesting her diazepam, clonazepam, and trizolam all be refilled at once because her "work was very stressful". Sigh....
I don't know if I work in an unusual area, or maybe I don't work enough retail, but I have never seen this combination. I could maybe see if for short term use (the person needing pain medicine & a muscle relaxer for a physician condition, and needing Xanax PRN until her SSRI kicked in....) But long-term? I'd want to see it prescribed by some big-shot expert, not by a rank & file FP or internist doctor or NP.
Yes it does. It gets you high as balls.I see Adderall and Xanax paired together more than I'v seen the "holy trinity". It really doesn't make sense as to why someone would be on this.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I also see this a lot. A psych NP in my town is notorious for questionable prescriptions and she writes for this combination daily, practically...everyone in town has unquestioningly filled her prescriptions forever.I see Adderall and Xanax paired together more than I'v seen the "holy trinity". It really doesn't make sense as to why someone would be on this.
I have this MD that gives literally every other patient this combo:
1. percocet or norco 5/325-10/325
2. a benzo
3. soma
Is there really any legitimate medical reason for prescribing this? If they are having muscle pain, why not zanaflex or baclofen?
I like taking those with a few shots of scotch after a day of good work.
I like taking those with a few shots of scotch after a day of good work.
I imagine it works even better for you after a bad day of work.
I also see this a lot. A psych NP in my town is notorious for questionable prescriptions and she writes for this combination daily, practically...everyone in town has unquestioningly filled her prescriptions forever.
NP's.....there are some fantastic NP's, my doctor uses NP, an NP even delivered at least a couple of my children. And I have seen wonky things from MD's, but consistently the craziest stuff I see comes from NP's, while DO/MD training seems more standardized, it really seems NP training is all over the board depending on the program they went through.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 1
- Views
- 537