Any luck w/ August MCAT??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Homer J. Simpson

1st and goal from the 1 yard line.
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Trying to decide if I should take the August MCAT or just focus on getting my application stuff in as early as possible.

I got a 29 (8B, 11P, 10V) the first time around; few interviews and no acceptances. I didn't get my app in til around Sept. last year.

Anyone out there have any success/failure stories with taking the August MCAT and waiting until Oct for schools to start looking at your app??

Homer J.

Members don't see this ad.

I took the august MCAT, applied way too late and still got accepted to 3 schools and waitlisted at 2. However, none of these schools were "top" schools and I consider myself very lucky to be accepted at all. Heed the advice of others on this forum and get your applications in as early as possible.

Thanks for the advice dory. I think that's the way I'm leaning.

Problem that keeps creeping into my head is that I know I can raise that bio score to a 10. I keep asking myself if a late app with a 31 is all that much better than an early 29.

Ah, the joys of this application process...

Homer J.

Members don't see this ad :)
I took August and got accepted, but think I could have done much better if I didn't have to wait for my scores. All of my interviews were post-January and I was still interviewing in late March. If you're not planning on doing a lot better on the MCAT, then don't waste your time. Just my opinion. ;) :eek: :rolleyes: :( :oops: :cool: :D

I agree with all posters.
I took the August MCAT with initial app assessed in Oct. I got into 2 schools I was happy with but feel that I would have been more successful with an earlier app. (could just be my delusion!) But... it was my first time taking the test - and it was worth the chance that I'd get in this application cycle.
Unless you feel like you would do a lot better on the re-test, I would apply early!

Hey,
Reading through all your repsonses, I was wondering what your stats were...did you all have decent gpa's even though your mcats scores came in after august...i'll be taking my mcats in august too, though i know it doesn't help in my sitution.... :p

my g.p.a. was good. 1st i took april mcat and got a 9,11,12 t and didn't get in. a few cycles later i re-took the mcat in august, 31s 10,10,11. though many things like extras changed in my app, i did get in this time at a school that only matriculated 2 out of staters last year(suny buffalo). this year i'm one of 'em. i don't know if the fact that i took the mcat 2 X and scored consistantly helped or not, but i do believe my 10,10,11 31 was viewed as stronger than my 9,11,12. just my thoughts.

I had a pretty good GPA but my undergrad history was pretty bizarre... I started college at 16, took lots of time off of school, took loads of "fun" classes, transfered a couple times, even "dropped out" once. In the end I took almost all my premed classes in one year after I graduated. Things like this can both help and hurt you - I've had a lot of explaining to do at interviews but I also got the distinct impression that my interviewers enjoyed talking about these quirks in my education history. Lots of people can get good grades and score high on the MCATs, it's important to make your record distinct. Of course, I got my applications in so late that I doubt they were even looked at before my MCAT score was in...

So now let me ask this: If I turn in my AMCAS stuff early, but check the box that I'll be retaking the MCAT, will schools still interview me early or will they all just put my stuff aside and wait for those 2nd MCAT scores to come in? I mean, I got interviews this year, just no acceptances.

What if I don't check that box and then take the MCAT anyway, can I then submit my new scores as supplementary material after interviews?

Homer J.

Homer,

I'm pretty sure they put your app on hold until they get the scores in. No interview until then, but they may review the other stuff.

I would definitely NOT misrepresent anything on your application, even whether or not you are planning to retake your MCAT. If the schools don't know you're retaking it, they will not factor that into their appraisal of your application. You may never get a second look. Plus, how would it look if your interviewer (assuming you got one, of course) asked about your scores? I wouldn't want to have to say I retook it already but neglected to mention it in my application. I think leaving it out would be a very bad way to start this process.