any MD/PhD students out there?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

isidella

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Current MD/PhD students out there: What was your MCAT score and where are you now? (I am pre-MD/PhD and wondering if I am a competitive candidate). Thank you so much in advance. Isid

Members don't see this ad.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by isidella:
•Current MD/PhD students out there: What was your MCAT score and where are you now? (I am pre-MD/PhD and wondering if I am a competitive candidate). Thank you so much in advance. Isid•••••Isidella,

I wouldn't worry too much about your MCAT score since you're applying MD/PhD. I'd say aim for double digits, and if you get above 33 you're fine (and if you get above 35, you're definitely good to go!). The most important thing in terms of scores for MST applicants is to get above whatever the cut-off for the screening process is (probably 33, 3.4 GPA or something depending on what school you went to, plus AT LEAST 1-2 years of research). Once you get an interview, it's up to you to express yourself and your qualifications and thus to convince the adcom members to let you in. So try to do well, but don't stress over every last number!

energy_girl
Wash U MSTP

Are those numbers accurate? I've always heard stuff about 3.7's and 36+'s for MD/PhD!

Members don't see this ad :)
the nationwide average for accepted MSTP is around 35-36.

GPA I'm not sure of.

Everything I have is anecdotal experience. I've met many people along the interview trail who received sub-36 scores (but at least 33). MST programs tend to look at the whole application, and put particular emphasis on quality and length of research. Perhaps the scores are high, but having a low score is not as detrimental to the MD/PhD application, IMHO, as the MD application.

Remember, it is possible to do an MD/PhD without being in the MST program. That is what I am doing. My MCAT scores weren't quite high enough for the cut off, so they didn't want me. However, that didn't stop me from pursuing my PhD. Check with ur medical school, generally most will be willing to let you take some time off in the middle to puruse a Masters or PhD. The AMA is pushing all medical schools to produce more physician-scientists. This is the best time right now to be doing research in the field of medicine!!

•••quote:•••Originally posted by iowaboy:
•Remember, it is possible to do an MD/PhD without being in the MST program. That is what I am doing. My MCAT scores weren't quite high enough for the cut off, so they didn't want me. However, that didn't stop me from pursuing my PhD. Check with ur medical school, generally most will be willing to let you take some time off in the middle to puruse a Masters or PhD. The AMA is pushing all medical schools to produce more physician-scientists. This is the best time right now to be doing research in the field of medicine!!•••••Hey did you apply to the graduate school as an applicant or as a medical student? As a non-MSTP student is your tuition waived and are you getting a stipend? Just curious....

I didn't apply to MD/PhD programs as an applicant because my numbers weren't competetive for a dual program and I wasn't really sure about it after having a bad undergrad research experience. I'll be doing research during the summer and then decide.

My 2 cents.

I didn't apply for the MSTP until after my 1st year in med school.

I don't know about other schools, but my school (UCSD) usually keeps a spot open for an "in-house" candidate every year. It's a pretty sweet backdoor into an awesome program, as you are competeing only with other people in your class. In my case, the only people applying for the inhouse spot were myself and another guy.

-mrp

If you are committed to a career in research and clinical medicine do not let scores stop you. I had a high GPA (~3.9) from a small non-prestigious school (Ithaca) and received 'only' a 29 on the MCATs. I was accepted to the MD/PhD program at Temple. From my experience I would say that 2 factors may supercede numbers: undergraduate research experience, and your interview. I had done three summers of research, which really guided my decision making towards pursuing a clinical+research career. Make sure you are fluent in an area of research most interesting to you, and be able to verbalize WHY you are interested in MD/PhD. Although Temple isnt MSTP, I am still getting full funding. Many smaller programs work this way.

Force of character is always more important than numbers.

Zach