• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

• How To ACE Your Medical School Interview

In this webinar hosted by SDN with experts from BeMo Academic Consulting, you will learn a simple five-step process to help you translate your interview invitation into an acceptance.

sg13jose

10+ Year Member
Jul 21, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
Did any of you struggle with science in high school, and early on in your undergrad studies?

In high school I was a mediocre student. I was lazy as can be, and barely graduated. One of my teachers called me the "Smartest [email protected]**" he ever knew. I was an underachiever to say the least. Math and Science were where I slacked the most. That carried on in to my undergrad studies early on. I had no interest in either one. I've worked in the healthcare field for a few years now and have fallen in love with it. I finally snapped out of my idiot ways. I actually have motivation and I'm putting an effort in to school. My dream is to one day be a physician. My question is how many of you weren't the best science or math students but have found a way to make it? I know I'm going to gave to work harder to make up for the years that I slacked off. I'd be lying to myself and to you if I said I wasn't a bit scared that I won't be able to catch up with the rest of my classmates after wasting so much time.

fahimaz7

15+ Year Member
Jul 18, 2004
Colorado
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
I was lazy in HS and the first 1.5 years of college. After that, I got my **** together and I'll be starting medical school in 9 months.

Good luck! It may be a long road... but it doesn't have to be a dead end road.

Law2Doc

5K+ Member
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Dec 20, 2004
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
You are allowed to be a late bloomer, but in such case eventually you have to bloom in a big way. There are lots of success stories on here who had lackluster beginnings. But how long a road you have correlates directly to how deep a hole you guy yourself.

About the Ads

dec0y

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 14, 2004
Status (Visible)
Failed calc the first time I took it, later became a math major. Its always possible to improve.

You too?

I left high school with a 2.7 gpa--this included ceramics, and 4 years of weight training and a year of stagecraft (all A's...). Excluding those electives I probably got a 2.0 or so.

Started college and got my worst grade in calculus. Ended up having an awesome teacher second term and he convinced me to do math as a major.

My parents were :confused::eek::D

Ended up graduating with about a 3.3 or so in applied math.

Now I'm a post-bacc--its a lot easier the second time around.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.