Any mediocre science students out there?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sg13jose

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Did any of you struggle with science in high school, and early on in your undergrad studies?

In high school I was a mediocre student. I was lazy as can be, and barely graduated. One of my teachers called me the "Smartest Dumb@**" he ever knew. I was an underachiever to say the least. Math and Science were where I slacked the most. That carried on in to my undergrad studies early on. I had no interest in either one. I've worked in the healthcare field for a few years now and have fallen in love with it. I finally snapped out of my idiot ways. I actually have motivation and I'm putting an effort in to school. My dream is to one day be a physician. My question is how many of you weren't the best science or math students but have found a way to make it? I know I'm going to gave to work harder to make up for the years that I slacked off. I'd be lying to myself and to you if I said I wasn't a bit scared that I won't be able to catch up with the rest of my classmates after wasting so much time.

Members don't see this ad.

I was lazy in HS and the first 1.5 years of college. After that, I got my **** together and I'll be starting medical school in 9 months.

Good luck! It may be a long road... but it doesn't have to be a dead end road.

You are allowed to be a late bloomer, but in such case eventually you have to bloom in a big way. There are lots of success stories on here who had lackluster beginnings. But how long a road you have correlates directly to how deep a hole you guy yourself.

Members don't see this ad :)
Failed calc the first time I took it, later became a math major. Its always possible to improve.

Failed calc the first time I took it, later became a math major. Its always possible to improve.

You too?

I left high school with a 2.7 gpa--this included ceramics, and 4 years of weight training and a year of stagecraft (all A's...). Excluding those electives I probably got a 2.0 or so.

Started college and got my worst grade in calculus. Ended up having an awesome teacher second term and he convinced me to do math as a major.

My parents were :confused::eek::D

Ended up graduating with about a 3.3 or so in applied math.

Now I'm a post-bacc--its a lot easier the second time around.