Any more chances of interviews?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

csheng89

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I realize I'm going to be very vague here. I can't help but wonder...

Applied to 20+ schools

I've been marked complete by all of them anywhere from mid-July to mid-August at latest.

a couple rejections, some interviews, but I haven't received anymore interview invites since like literally a month ago...? What's up with that? Am I probably rejected from the remaining schools? It seems like most schools are booked all the way through like december already, and the later interviews are reserved for people who applied later in the cycle.

Any previous applicants or anyone who have experienced this situation?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
keys to applying well:

1. Apply early
2. Apply often
3. Apply smart

you'd better have baller stats if that was your school mix. how many is "some interviews"? if more than 3, at schools for which you are competitive stat-wise, you're probably OK. but it could be a long winter waiting to find out.

Members don't see this ad :)
basically you applied to the top 25 schools in the country? ^^

Lol, sometimes I wonder if people want to go to med school to be doctors or so they can brag that they went to a "top 25" med school. The priorities of premeds are so stupid sometimes.

Lol, sometimes I wonder if people want to go to med school to be doctors or so they can brag that they went to a "top 25" med school. The priorities of premeds are so stupid sometimes.

Okay why can't people just be helpful instead of trying to bash other people? All I wanted to know was since I applied pretty early and haven't heard from any schools in about a month, if I would still be able to get more interviews.

I never stressed that my goal was JUST to make a top 25 school. It was a point of reference for specifying the type of school I applied to. And I do believe that the med school I make is indicative of the work I put in during my college years, so in the case that I do make a top tier school, why should I not be proud of it?

Okay why can't people just be helpful instead of trying to bash other people? All I wanted to know was since I applied pretty early and haven't heard from any schools in about a month, if I would still be able to get more interviews.

I never stressed that my goal was JUST to make a top 25 school. It was a point of reference for specifying the type of school I applied to. And I do believe that the med school I make is indicative of the work I put in during my college years, so in the case that I do make a top tier school, why should I not be proud of it?

I am in the same position as you OP. I received a number of interviews early, and then have only received one over the past two months (which was my state school).

From what I've heard, a few more may trickle in, but if you applied early, the schools have probably looked over your app at least once. This means the chance of an interview is probably less likely. I'm not very optimistic at this point. Still, interviews go through March, so you never know. Since you already have some interviews, I think you may get a few more. Hopefully, one of your completed interviews will turn into an acceptance so you don't have to worry as much.

And people bashing you is unfair. Certainly, if you can get into a top school, you should go for it. It will open doors for you. However, you should know that the med admissions process is crazy competitive, so applying only to top programs is very, very, very risky, no matter how good your app is.

I hope that your interviews pan out. If the worse happens and you don't get an acceptance, apply again and make sure to apply early and to a number of "safeties" (though that is a bad word for them because some of my "safeties" have not panned out because some schools reject outright if they feel you are using them as safeties).

I never singled you out specifically just making a broad comment on the typical premed question when it comes to applying to schools. Your question just provided an accessible platform for me to talk about it. Furthermore, you did well in college ... good for you but so did many other people. The amount of work you put in college doesn't necessarily entitle you for an acceptance anywhere and a lot of premeds have a hard time accepting that. Just like in med school the amount of time you study doesn't entitle you to be on top of the class more like average. You'll see this when you start. You should be proud of whatever school you get into but choosing a school based on prestige is not the best way of choosing a med school.

If your application is golden and schools only accept golden applications (top 25) then your golden application looks more like tin. Even though you have those stats, so does everyone else. Medical school applications require humility/humbleness and applying to top schools doesn't allow that. You should have applied to more middle tier schools.

you come on here, crying about how your top-heavy school list has only yielded you "some" interviews, that it's been "literally a month" since you got any invites, and you want reassurances that you're going to get more chances at your inflated dream.

you probably will be accepted to one of your desired schools, but it doesn't mean we have to like you, help you, or condone your attitude. for all we know, you've already been accepted.

OP how many interviews did you get? You said "some" which is quite vague? Did you get at least 5? You could've just told us how many you've gotten interviews at since it won't make a difference in terms of reveailng your identity.

I never singled you out specifically just making a broad comment on the typical premed question when it comes to applying to schools. Your question just provided an accessible platform for me to talk about it. Furthermore, you did well in college ... good for you but so did many other people. The amount of work you put in college doesn't necessarily entitle you for an acceptance anywhere and a lot of premeds have a hard time accepting that. Just like in med school the amount of time you study doesn't entitle you to be on top of the class more like average. You'll see this when you start. You should be proud of whatever school you get into but choosing a school based on prestige is not the best way of choosing a med school.

I never said that med schools will accept you just based on good stats... how can you make assumptions like that without even knowing what i've done aside from academic accomplishments? Again, I think that you took my question out of context and ALL i wanted to know was, what are the odds that i'll still receive interview invites knowing that i applied early and haven't heard back from any school in about a month?

And just to debunk your notion of picking a top tier school for prestige, i'll give you a couple examples of why I applied to some of the schools that i did. Knowing that I'm interested in orthopedics, I applied to Pitt, which has a faculty by the name of Freddie Fu who practically invented ACL repairs... I applied to Cornell, which has the #1 orthopedics program in the country, not to mention its OWN hospital just for orthopedics. Now I ask you, did what I just cited have anything to do with the prestige or name of the school? Is it wrong to want to work with the best physicians in your respective aspiring career? And yes, I'm well aware that ppl change their minds in med school and I think that it can certainly happen to me, BUT in the present day, I do believe orthopedics is what I'm interested in, therefore I'm applying those schools.

If your application is golden and schools only accept golden applications (top 25) then your golden application looks more like tin. Even though you have those stats, so does everyone else. Medical school applications require humility/humbleness and applying to top schools doesn't allow that. You should have applied to more middle tier schools.

What does this even mean? Good grief, if you're going to preach at someone at least make sure it makes sense.

Members don't see this ad :)
@Bacchus:

I don't know if applying to "middle" tier schools would help. Well, I don't think medical schools are ranked, but I've been getting rejections from a lot of schools with average stats that are lower than mine. So sad. :( Rejections do hurt no matter where you are in the cycle. Some schools are nicer than others tho.

are all the schools you applied to rolling admissions-based? usually the non-rolling admissions schools do not interview in the order that applications are received/completed. Interview invites for those schools sometimes go out well into February...

Last edited:

Last edited:

Last edited:
I've been to Canada many times and even met Canadians - ehh? - I stand by my characterization. Although, hiking in the Canadian Rockies is ufb.

My husband is Austrian, and he is totally in love with Canada for some reason. I like Canada too, but I am also a South Park addict, so I love Canada jokes. :thumbup:

Last edited:
OK - I'll admit that Canada is cool. But it's filled with Canadians and that's a negative. However you've given me an idea 'cause I think Austrians are somewhat cool maybe they can do a population exchange - on a trial basis?

Oh I don't know about that... I really love my in-laws being 5k miles and an ocean away from me.

Last edited:

Wrong, getting into med school AT ALL is indicative of the hard work WE ALL put in in undergrad.

I went to H/Y/P and the acceptance rate to med school from those schools is like 98%. The people in the 2% are almost always the people who approach the application process with the attitude you have displayed:

"I'm awesome and deserve to go to a top 25 school."

Good luck, and you'll prob get into Wash U if you have very high stats. A guy last cycle (3.9/38) who applied like you did had a terrible cycle and then finally got into WashU off the waitlist in the spring.

I never said that med schools will accept you just based on good stats... how can you make assumptions like that without even knowing what i've done aside from academic accomplishments? Again, I think that you took my question out of context and ALL i wanted to know was, what are the odds that i'll still receive interview invites knowing that i applied early and haven't heard back from any school in about a month?

And just to debunk your notion of picking a top tier school for prestige, i'll give you a couple examples of why I applied to some of the schools that i did. Knowing that I'm interested in orthopedics, I applied to Pitt, which has a faculty by the name of Freddie Fu who practically invented ACL repairs... I applied to Cornell, which has the #1 orthopedics program in the country, not to mention its OWN hospital just for orthopedics. Now I ask you, did what I just cited have anything to do with the prestige or name of the school? Is it wrong to want to work with the best physicians in your respective aspiring career? And yes, I'm well aware that ppl change their minds in med school and I think that it can certainly happen to me, BUT in the present day, I do believe orthopedics is what I'm interested in, therefore I'm applying those schools.

Now see that's a good reason to apply to schools. Also, by prestige I meant applying to TopX schools solely on the fact that they're TopX schools without considering other reasons. So, good, you're not one of those idiot premeds that simply chase after prestige/school name.