Does having more or less interviewers increase/decrease your chances of being accepted?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

INeedAssistance

Reaction score
I'm still waiting to hear back from schools, post interview, but it recently hit me on why some applicants have only one interviewer while others have 2-4 interviewers? Does having more interviewers increase or decrease your chances of being accepted as compared to having only one interviewer where your fate is in the hands of only one person's opinion of you? I know schools have current students also partake in the interviews or certain programs that applicants apply to could increase the amount of interviewers, but the schools that i got interviews from (RD) had only MDs from their school to interview us, so I'm just curious on why one school might give one applicant 2-4 interviewers and another applicant only one when both applicants are applying RD?

Just curious, thanks for any insight!

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
It depends. If you knocked it out of the park with the one interviewer, that's better than mixed reviews from multiple. If you bombed with one interview, that's worse than mixed reviews from multiple.

But all you can do is your best and move on. Medical training is stressful enough with out stressing over things you can't control. This is one of those things

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
Some interviewers get sick or get a code to take care of someone who is. The admissions committee has to figure that out.
Very true, I was just more so curious if admissions committee intentionally assigns more interviewers to one applicant vs another? For instance, a better stat applicant gets more interviewers compared to a low stat applicant who is assigned only one interviewer or vice versa.

Members don't see this ad :)
Very true, I was just more so curious if admissions committee intentionally assigns more interviewers to one applicant vs another? For instance, a better stat applicant gets more interviewers compared to a low stat applicant who is assigned only one interviewer or vice versa.
Assuming that we are just talking about regular decisions and not any additional consideration to special tracks, research interests, or programs... most admissions committees I have worked with make sure each candidate gets the same number of interviewers. With virtual interviews, there is always a way an admissions office can reschedule an interview at a later time convenient to the other interviewer. (In short, it wouldn't make sense to me to have different numbers of interviewers be standard practice.)

Reactions: 1 users
Assuming that we are just talking about regular decisions and not any additional consideration to special tracks, research interests, or programs... most admissions committees I have worked with make sure each candidate gets the same number of interviewers. With virtual interviews, there is always a way an admissions office can reschedule an interview at a later time convenient to the other interviewer. (In short, it wouldn't make sense to me to have different numbers of interviewers be standard practice.)
That makes sense, thank you so much for the insight!