Any non-acedemic county hospitals out west?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WilcoWorld

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know of any non-acedemic county hospitals? By "county" I mean hospitals that serve under-served populations and by "non-academic" I mean not resident-run. Being located in the Mountain West would be a big plus.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I think hurley in flint, michigan is county, non-academic.
(yup, just checked. level 1, 76k/yr through e.d., no residency).

legacy emanuel in downtown portland is also level 1 with no em residency and definitely has a "county" feel.

Members don't see this ad :)

legacy emanuel in downtown portland is also level 1 with no em residency and definitely has a "county" feel.

Although Emanuel doesn't have an EM residency of its own, it does have its own TY and IM residents who rotate in the ED and EM and Gen Surg residents from OHSU rotate there as well. It's not lousy with residents like a true academic dept is, but there are 2-3 in the department at all times.

Thanks folks. That's quite helpful.

ADMD: I'm trying to help someone find a post-residency job.

Wouldn't St. Vincent's in Santa Fe qualify? (while not county per se, the entire state of NM is underserved for the most part...)

There are two large county type hospitals in Tacoma, WA (45min-1hr south of Seattle) that see a county population. Tacoma General and St. Joseph's Hospital. TG is staffed by an independed democratic group (that has a couple of other sites you rotate at). They are actively hiring right now, not sure if you can still get in on a position, maybe if you hurried. St. Joes is staffed by Northwest Emergency Physicians a branch of Team Health, so they are always hiring. Feel free to PM me for more details.

Yup, I trained at U of M and we did 4-5 months plus 2 peds shifts a month at Hurley. It is fully integrated into the residency.

Salt Lake Regional isn't county, but can feel like it at times. Contact EPIC for details/interviews etc.

http://www.epicdocs.com/salt_lake.cfm

Edit: Were you looking for a residency or a job?

I volunteered here as a pre-med. It's in a beautiful old neighborhood. It's right down the road from the Univ of Utah ED and peds ED so it's pretty much all adults and no trauma. Single coverage with maybe 3 nurses, a tech, and a secretary. There's also another enormous level 1 trauma ED about 15-20 minutes south. Though maybe Activeduty can tell you more?