Any non-science major ???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

torque

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any of you done undergrad. as a non-science major?
And how did you prepare yourself for the dental schools?
Like, after you graduate or while you were doing your undergrad., you took required classes etc.

I'm a psychology major and been dental assisting for good 2 years. I am seriously considering whether I should go to grad. school or study for two more years and apply for dental school. I love psychology but I like dentistry as well.

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a psychology major as well, and this is my third year of college. I hope to take the DAT within the next couple of months and apply when the next cycle begins. I didn't start the sciences until my second year, because I didn't know what I wanted to do, so my schedule was as follows: biology and g. chem as a sophomore, physics during the summer between sophomore and junior year, and o. chem this year as a junior.

I try to keep myself well-rounded by taking psych and music classes in addition to the sciences, but it leaves me with little room for any more science classes. This concerns me, because I want to be competitive in dental school but don't know how I'll compare to those who have already taken four years of science. Can any dental students help with any comments for a humanities/arts guy like me?

torque said:
Any of you done undergrad. as a non-science major?
And how did you prepare yourself for the dental schools?
Like, after you graduate or while you were doing your undergrad., you took required classes etc.

I'm a psychology major and been dental assisting for good 2 years. I am seriously considering whether I should go to grad. school or study for two more years and apply for dental school. I love psychology but I like dentistry as well.

Thanks in advance.

I'm a business major and took all the pre-reqs during my undergrad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Bus/Econ major here, and it took me a year and a half of undergrad to do all the science requirements (bio, physics, chem, ochem) that did not count at all towards my major. It was actually a nice break from econ and to study for the DAT, I took kaplan in the middle/end of junior year (when I was finishing ochem and bio), which prepared me somewhat. I'll tell you now, that if you decide to take a DAT class, don't do it during the school year. I had problems focusing on the DAT class while having a full class load. If you do, give yourself a good month (winter break, or the beginning of summer) to focus only on the DAT. I was going to take the DAT after finals in June, realized I wasnt ready, studied for a month and took it the first week of july. Sent my app. out the very next day and I was set. Ofcourse, it would have been nice to send the app. out the first day aadsas let you, but oh well. Good luck. :thumbup:

I'm also a double degreed Business/Spanish major. I graduated a number yrs. ago and started taking my pre-req classes in 2003, as well as 5 upper div. sciences including Biochem, Micro, Physio, Cell Bio, etc. Since 2003, I have taken nothing but science classes, so I feel prepared. Good luck!

I graduated with a psychology major in college. Then I decided to spend three years studying science. Never regret about leaving pscyhology. Somtimes I ponder of becoming a teacher, however I want a secure lifestyle that is common for dentist.