Any non-trad Vet students out there....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Olddodger

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Just interested...I don't see much about them. I'm considering going back to school to get my pre-recs in, and I would be interested in hearing some experiences.

Anyone familiar with Florida Atlantic University? I am looking at doing my pre-recs there.

Thanks!
Oldie

Members don't see this ad.

Hey There!
I consider myself a non-trad. I graduated from college 4 years ago and am seriously contemplating vet school...
I am thinking of doing pre-reqs this fall or next spring after I get married. I think I have a long road ahead of me and It's not a definite I'll get in! (My undergrad GPA wasn't very good). Well good luck to you. I don't live in FL. so I can't help you on that school I'm up near Wash DC.
Well good luck to you....

medtechv79 said:
Hey There!
I consider myself a non-trad. I graduated from college 4 years ago and am seriously contemplating vet school...
I am thinking of doing pre-reqs this fall or next spring after I get married. I think I have a long road ahead of me and It's not a definite I'll get in! (My undergrad GPA wasn't very good). Well good luck to you. I don't live in FL. so I can't help you on that school I'm up near Wash DC.
Well good luck to you....

Heya MedTech,

I'm a little older...mid 30's. Got a undergrad (not-so-hot grades) and an unrelated master's (4.0...learned how to study finally).

I'm considering a career change, but in the meantime, I can bang out the pre-recs at my local school (non-CC)...they have a pre-med track that fills a lot of the pre-requisites, plus they have a marine biology program that looks interesting.

Interesting thing I noticed is that most Vet schools want the GRE, not the MCAT. I took the GRE ages ago (1989??)...did well enough to get into grad school, and I have NO idea what I got on it. Oh well, I can always take it again, I suppose.

I'm taking this whole thing one step at a time, and see how it all pans out, all the while keeping my eye on the goal. All my previous school has been anything-but biology related. But I do a lot of volunteer work, and it keeps my nose in it. I've gotten to be a pretty fast scoop...a super-duper-pooper-scooper, if you will :laugh: ...

Best,
Oldie

Members don't see this ad :)
Hahaha....that's pretty funny.
Pooper Scooper.
I agree take it one step at a time. That's probably best. Do u get flack for going back to school at your age? Do people tell you not to choose vet school b/c vets don't earn that much? What about income? How are u supporting yourself when u go back to school? These are questions I get from my family all the time! hehehe.
Also, I am going to do a post-bacc as well. I am a little scared b/c I'm afraid of this long road and hard work it won't pay off and it will be all for nothing! I also need to start volunteering at a vet hospital to make sure this is the road I want. I just really like animals. I work in a lab now and its kinda like working in a factory....so I know all jobs aren't glorious. Take care.

Hi,

I'm a 34 year old soon-to-be vet student. I'll be entering Massey University in New Zealand this February. Their vet program is a good one for non-trads, since they offer the option of completing a rigorous pre-selection semester instead of taking extensive pre-reqs. It's a five year program and is AVMA-accredited. Vet students there are eligible for US federal financial aid. It is a risk taking the pre-selection semester route -- apparently about 1 in 3 foreign students achieve the grades and test score needed to progress into the professional school, so you need to be confident that you have what it takes to do well.

I just came back from a RAVS trip (helping provide free vet services in underserved areas) and am so psyched. I can't wait to become a vet. I was one of several non-trad pre-vet and vet students there

medtechv79: Luckily my family doesn't know much about veterinarians, so I don't get any flack from them, except for the fact that I'm moving halfway around the world. I'll be taking on a great deal of debt, around $175K or so, depending on the strength of the US dollar. I'll be living on loans the entire time I'm in school. I plan to participate in the vet equivalent of the National Health Service Corps in order to get most of my debt forgiven.

Laura

Laura,

Wow! That sounds like a pretty good program. How long did it take you to prepare for vet school? How was the application process?
I'm really still debating if I want to be a vet or not. I am probably going to volunteer at an animal hospital soon to get an idea.
I guess my only worry is the income of vets...I've heard varying opinions. Its seems livable and somtimes not. I am getting married so I would have a joint partner sharing the income so if I don't earn a whole lot of money that would be okay.
Also, most vets open up their own practices right? That's something I don't find particularly appealing. I would rather work for an big company/organization than deal with all that paper work and stress of owning my own business....but I guess that's something I need to look into further.
Good Luck at Massey!

Olddodger said:
Hi all,

Just interested...I don't see much about them. I'm considering going back to school to get my pre-recs in, and I would be interested in hearing some experiences.

Anyone familiar with Florida Atlantic University? I am looking at doing my pre-recs there.

Thanks!
Oldie
I thought you meant vets, as in veterans. Sorry, I was going to post. Sorry for the mix up. I'm familiar with your school though. I'm at USF. Exercise science major. Well good luck to you.

medtech,

I just wrote a long post and the computer ate it. Argh.

Nominally, there is minimal preparation needed for the Massey pre-selection semester. Just high-level high school science and math. That said, I'm not taking any chances, and I have been studying on my own for the past year, and I will likely audit a general chemistry class this summer. Also, I took Physics, Statistics and Calculus III in college. The pre-selection semester consists of Bio, Zoology, Chemistry (mostly O-Chem) and Physics, and you must excel at all of these to be accepted into the professional program.

The application to the pre-selection semester is straightforward. You just need your birth certificate or passport, and official transcripts from high school and any other academic institutions you attended (e.g., college). And SAT scores, if they don't appear on your high school transcript. Getting a New Zealand student visa seems to be the more difficult part, frankly, since you need a medical exam and a police certificate and proof that you have a place at the university and have paid tuition. Also, you have to pretty much wrap up your life in the States.

Vet incomes vary widely, I can't say much except that if you want to make lots of money, don't become a vet, become a doctor. 80% of vets go into private practice, although there are a ton of things you can do with the degree. I think the AVMA or VMCAS web site has more info.

Hope this answers your questions,

Laura

I was trying to figure out how you could be a vet and NOT be non-trad. The obligatory DVM/military mix-up...My parents are both Vets. Dad drew 4S (something like that...) in '71 so he never was a vet, which is prolly why he was alive to be a Vet. "I didn't know your mom was in the war too?"

Anyway one of the guys that just got into OSU's program is like 38. I'm 27 (non-trad courtesy of Uncle Sam and my need to grow up) and feel like a grandpa. I hope when I'm 38 I can just sleep all night without having to get up and piss, much less undertake such a project. I think it's awesome...

what are the pre-reqs for Massey? Can I ask what your stats are like, i.e. grades, gpa, gre, animal experience so i can get an idea. do they require the same courses as U.S. schools? what's the tuition like? when is the application deadline? thanks!

laurafinn said:
Hi,

I'm a 34 year old soon-to-be vet student. I'll be entering Massey University in New Zealand this February. Their vet program is a good one for non-trads, since they offer the option of completing a rigorous pre-selection semester instead of taking extensive pre-reqs. It's a five year program and is AVMA-accredited. Vet students there are eligible for US federal financial aid. It is a risk taking the pre-selection semester route -- apparently about 1 in 3 foreign students achieve the grades and test score needed to progress into the professional school, so you need to be confident that you have what it takes to do well.

I just came back from a RAVS trip (helping provide free vet services in underserved areas) and am so psyched. I can't wait to become a vet. I was one of several non-trad pre-vet and vet students there

medtechv79: Luckily my family doesn't know much about veterinarians, so I don't get any flack from them, except for the fact that I'm moving halfway around the world. I'll be taking on a great deal of debt, around $175K or so, depending on the strength of the US dollar. I'll be living on loans the entire time I'm in school. I plan to participate in the vet equivalent of the National Health Service Corps in order to get most of my debt forgiven.

Laura

So you are opting for the Massey pre-selection semester? how many semesters are required before entrance into the professional program? thanks!

laurafinn said:
medtech,

I just wrote a long post and the computer ate it. Argh.

Nominally, there is minimal preparation needed for the Massey pre-selection semester. Just high-level high school science and math. That said, I'm not taking any chances, and I have been studying on my own for the past year, and I will likely audit a general chemistry class this summer. Also, I took Physics, Statistics and Calculus III in college. The pre-selection semester consists of Bio, Zoology, Chemistry (mostly O-Chem) and Physics, and you must excel at all of these to be accepted into the professional program.

The application to the pre-selection semester is straightforward. You just need your birth certificate or passport, and official transcripts from high school and any other academic institutions you attended (e.g., college). And SAT scores, if they don't appear on your high school transcript. Getting a New Zealand student visa seems to be the more difficult part, frankly, since you need a medical exam and a police certificate and proof that you have a place at the university and have paid tuition. Also, you have to pretty much wrap up your life in the States.

Vet incomes vary widely, I can't say much except that if you want to make lots of money, don't become a vet, become a doctor. 80% of vets go into private practice, although there are a ton of things you can do with the degree. I think the AVMA or VMCAS web site has more info.

Hope this answers your questions,

Laura

Olddodger said:
Hi all,

Thanks!
Oldie

I highly recommend this site for pre vet students (it's how I found this one!)
http://forums.about.com/ab-vetmedicine2/messages?lgnF=y
Good luck!