Any NON-TRADs in Vet School or planning on it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I also noticed that Florida accepted quite a few non-trads this year, and seemed to really reward those with a lot of experience. However they don't take a lot of OOS.

I'm not sure why the change in the trend this year; I was thinking maybe it was due to the change in Deans.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a non-trad on my way to applying for vet school. I got a BA in Economics in 2001 and spent the last 7 years in finance, only to realize that there is more to life than sitting in front of the computer for 10 hours a day, interacting as little with the outside world as possible. (Strangely, that is what I'm still doing now as a student it seems like :) )

Anyway, I left my job last may and have been fulfilling my prereqs at a local community college. The advisers that I've been in touch with were very encouraging about non-trad students, especially from non-science fields. The information I have gathered is that if you can perform at the top level in your science coursework, the non-vet job experience can really set you apart from the rest of the field. In addition, I was pleasantly surprised to find that taking the physics and chem requirements at the community college level was no problem at all. I am taking my biochem and genetics at a state school this summer, as 300+ level classes aren't offered at jr. colleges. I'll be applying to UofIllinois, Auburn, KSU, and OK this summer.. if I get accepted on this 1st round I will be 31 when I start vet school. Fingers crossed.

I am also considering PA school as a backup plan if things don't work out with vet school after a few rounds. But it's not like it's a seamless transition to go from one to the other, there will still be down-time as far as earning the needed experience for PA programs.. Most of the schools I've researched require a minimum of 400 to 1000 hours of actual direct patient care experience, and the positions that you can fulfill that with are: EMT, paramedic, nurse's aide, clinic assistant, etc. Thing is - all of these jobs require certifications if not actual degees, as well.

The other things to consider if you're weighing being a vet vs. a PA would be the hours and benefits.. as a PA you are generally working in a clean, safe, 8-5'ish job, M-F.. I live in a really small town and PA's here easily make 6-figures, full health benefits, retirement, etc. As a vet you are looking at longer hours, some weekends, less pay, and the work environment may not be so cushy most of the time. If you open your own practice, the money may get significantly better, but the time and responsibilities are certainly much much greater, too. I know in my heart that ideally, I would be a vet because I want to work directly with animals. However, if I become a PA I would probably have the time and money to devote to volunteering, donations, fostering, or owning several pets. So I suppose you can't really go wrong either way, but you have to go with your gut and what fate hands you.

Sorry to be long-winded, I wanted to address the PA part of your question. :) Good luck!

I just had to post a response to this forum because I am the poster child for this topic. I have just turned 33, have been married for 10 years, and worked in the film industry before deciding to go to vet school. It took me entirely too long to go back to school (father-in-law died, had two sinus surgeries myself, and had to work full-time while taking post-bacc classes), but I finally pushed through and completed my pre-reqs. Anyway, after applying for a 2nd year I was accepted into UGA this year...my state school. I will be 37 when I get out of school and we plan on having children right after I graduate. My husband has a career that affords him the opportunity to be a stay at home dad. There were many times I wanted to give up, but I know this is what I was meant to do. You're never too old to follow a dream. I know it sounds cheesy, but it is totally true! I have the world's most supportive husband and he constantly reminded me that in the end I would be 37 anyway, so I might as well be 37 and living my dream. Don't let age be a factor in your decision to become a vet. Life is too darn short!:luck:

I have the world's most supportive husband and he constantly reminded me that in the end I would be 37 anyway, so I might as well be 37 and living my dream.

You've got a good one! and congratulations on Georgia!