Why vet school, why now?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lacieisme24

Reaction score
Friends, as I wait to hear about acceptance and all of the anxiety around it, I was hit with a full on 2 hour interrogation at a family dinner as to why I want to be a veterinarian at 47 years old. Why would you want to put yourself through this at your age? Why would you want that much student loan debt so late in life? Can’t you just be a CVT and still have the same feeling of accomplishment and fulfillment? Aren’t there other ways to help animals? You have so much experience that you can take that and still do something you love.

I just sat there and no matter how I tried to explain it, they couldn’t fully comprehend it. It is hard to explain to someone that doesn’t have the same passion for something. Am I scared? Heck yeah, I’m 47 years old! I give myself enough anxiety asking myself can I do this and all the other emotions that come with such a big decision.

Has anyone else experienced all of this?

Thanks for listening. I know if anyone could understand what I’m going through it would be all of my virtual friends in this forum.

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
Reactions: 10 users
Friends, as I wait to hear about acceptance and all of the anxiety around it, I was hit with a full on 2 hour interrogation at a family dinner as to why I want to be a veterinarian at 47 years old. Why would you want to put yourself through this at your age? Why would you want that much student loan debt so late in life? Can’t you just be a CVT and still have the same feeling of accomplishment and fulfillment? Aren’t there other ways to help animals? You have so much experience that you can take that and still do something you love.

I just sat there and no matter how I tried to explain it, they couldn’t fully comprehend it. It is hard to explain to someone that doesn’t have the same passion for something. Am I scared? Heck yeah, I’m 47 years old! I give myself enough anxiety asking myself can I do this and all the other emotions that come with such a big decision.

Thanks for listening. I know if anyone could understand what I’m going through it would be all of my virtual friends in this forum.
I'm in my early 30s, but I still endured a few conversations like that. You're not alone. I am an LVT, I had a job that I liked at a lab that I liked, in addition to a growing career as an ecologist and wildlife biologist before vet school. A lot of people were confused why I'd make the switch. Sometimes when I think back on my field seasons and research, I get confused as to why I'd make the switch too lol.
But I couldn't fight it. I'm nearly at clinics now, and while the future is starting to stress me out a little, I've seen my friends and family come around to it. They've warmed up, and sometimes they're more excited than I am, I think, about where this path will take me.

Best of luck to you - I hope your path unfolds in a good way.

Reactions: 2 users
I ask myself those questions every single day. It's not like this path is an easy one by any means and if I had a dollar for the number of time's I've been told to try anything else I'd be able to afford vet school!
The thing is, I have wanted to do this since I was a kid and of course, then, I didn't necessarily know what it all meant but as I got older and tried "anything else" I kept coming back to medicine and after trying human medicine (during a pandemic of all times) I realized my passion revolves around animals more than anything else. It's something you burn for in your soul, never let go of that. And striving for this level of accomplishment is incredibly noble.
Don't let the hater's get you down! We need passionate people, interested people, people who have confronted that question over and over and still believe in their path.

Members don't see this ad :)
Never experienced this personally but many of the great vets i’ve worked with have pushed pursuing their veterinary degree off until later in life. Even vets who were traditional students said there were few students within their matriculating class that were 40+, including a 54 year old man who got his MD and owned a clinic but decided he wanted to be a veterinarian instead! Regardless, age should never be a factor in pursuing your passion and dreams. We’re all going to die one day so might as well make the most of our time living here by doing what we love and saving animals

I get it! I too am an older student. Many people in my life have been extremely supportive of my decision to go to vet school (I am in my second year), but I have definitely dealt with people who just could not get it.

I am an MD, and practiced human medicine for over 20 years. I graduated from medical school at 30, and will graduate from vet school at 60! I sometimes think it is a bit crazy to do at this point in my life. Then I realize, I am happy, I LOVE it, and in just a couple of years I will be a vet!! I really cannot picture myself doing anything else. This is so right for me. Also, I am very healthy, so I think that I will most likely have a good 15-20 years to practice after I graduate.

I am excited for you!! Follow your heart. I can tell you, this was one of the best decisions I have ever made! Feel free to message me if you have any questions about the reality of being a mature student.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 1 users

You can definitely do it!
Read this article for inspiration. This is a wonderful example of what someone can do when they have a passion. I'm sorry your family isn't more supportive. Hopefully they come around when they see your success.

Never experienced this personally, but I kinda understand where you're coming from. My partner came from a pretty well-off family, and his main career goal is to just retire early. So while he has chosen a major and is working a job that he is interested in, he places income above his enjoyment in the career. I can't do that, and I won't do that to myself. I am the type of person who needs to actually enjoy what I'm doing to feel fulfillment and like my life is being spent meaningfully and happily. I am someone who really believes that if you choose a job you like, then it won't feel like you're working. I've tried explaining this to him and how important it is that I love my job, but he doesn't understand it. You can always try explaining it to them like this, but if they don't understand it, then I would just agree to disagree, let them know that you don't want to continue this conversation anymore as it's not healthy mentally for anyone, and end it at that. I know that's easier said than done, but it works for my partner and me.