Any NPTE motivation tips?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

keston02

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm taking the NPTE next week, and I've gone through everything, including both O'Sullivan and Scorebuilders. I passed my last several practice exams, so I feel ready (I think, or at least just ready to get it over with) and just need some last week motivation to finish strong. Right now, the only thing I can do to motivate myself is take the mini assessments on the scorebuilders app and do content review on there on my weak areas. I'm also currently working on a temp license, so when I come across a new diagnosis or something involved in a case, I look it up and try to work through what I'm seeing to give myself real-life motivation. I plan on taking the retired PEAT this weekend.

Any tips for finishing strong at the end?

Members don't see this ad.

Imagine yourself working in a fast-food restaurant if you don't pass.

Reactions: 2 users
In the same boat, taking the second peat tomorrow. One week left!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm taking the NPTE next week too. The review has been so difficult for me because i'm a foreign-educated PT. MANY ups and downs during my three-month review schedule. Since this is the last week, I have been slowing down in my review and taking practice exams that I havent taken before. I scored 86% and 89% on both online advantage practice exams of scorebuilders on first take which gave me so much confidence going into next week's exam. I visualize my success and just have a positive attitude going towards this exam. I think positive self-talk is very important in this stage of preparation, but still keep a little bit of tension, healthy tension. So yeah, just believe that you have prepared enough for this test and you can do this.

Haha, NewTestament. I always have lifeguarding to fall back on. That's my life plan.

The past week or so, I have been an emotional rollercoaster. Ranging from crying hysterically over something I see on tv, to downright mean, to slap-happy. My poor husband can't keep up with it. I got a job on my temp license as a pediatric therapist, so I just keep picturing all of my kids that I have become so attached to and keep telling myself that they are my motivation.

I just want to give my story. I took the NPTE 2x. Failed first time by a hair (594). Passed the 2nd time (654). Here's what I did.
First time, I read through Scorebuilders cover to cover and took the 3 scorebuilders, 1 O'Sullivan's, 1 PEAT, 2 Online Advantages (made by Scorebuilders). All practice tests I went over every question and read the commentary on each answer.

Practice test results: 65-68 in scorebuilders, 61 in O'Sullivans, a 608 on the PEAT, 65-68 in Online Advantage tests.
I went into the exam in a haze and I really felt disoriented. I think for me a lot of it was that I felt fatigued when I took the exam and it was just overwhelming--too much at one time.

After the exam, I prepared exclusively with O'Sullivans and wrote out a study guide. The first time I took the test I had just read through the book and didn't create my own study guide. Will send this to anyone who wants it. Creating a study guide and the harder content of the O'Sullivan's text just made my preparation go better.
Practice exam scores were in the mid to high 70s, early 80s at this point, but that is not a good predictor because I had taken the practice exams once already and remembered some of the answers.

I continued studying O'Sullivan until I had read the entire book through cover to cover. I kept taking the practice exams over and over and I bought two Iphone Apps-- PT Content Master ($20) and PT Question of the Day. ($10 for 6 month subscription). I kept doing questions and reading O'Sullivan.
Second time I took the exam I was more relaxed and when I finished the exam I felt like I could have kept going. My endurance wasn't shot to hell at that time. I also learned a trick or two. I budgeted time better. You have 5 hours. I used 1 hour for every section and made sure to mark and go back to any questions I didn't know. I used ALL the time. Up to the last second I spent checking and rechecking my answers.

Something else my 2nd time, I just felt like I had more mental endurance--for me that was the main thing so I saw the more studying and mental "muscle" you can build up, the better.

Can you please share your study guide? Thanks

I just want to give my story. I took the NPTE 2x. Failed first time by a hair (594). Passed the 2nd time (654). Here's what I did.
First time, I read through Scorebuilders cover to cover and took the 3 scorebuilders, 1 O'Sullivan's, 1 PEAT, 2 Online Advantages (made by Scorebuilders). All practice tests I went over every question and read the commentary on each answer.

Practice test results: 65-68 in scorebuilders, 61 in O'Sullivans, a 608 on the PEAT, 65-68 in Online Advantage tests.
I went into the exam in a haze and I really felt disoriented. I think for me a lot of it was that I felt fatigued when I took the exam and it was just overwhelming--too much at one time.

After the exam, I prepared exclusively with O'Sullivans and wrote out a study guide. The first time I took the test I had just read through the book and didn't create my own study guide. Will send this to anyone who wants it. Creating a study guide and the harder content of the O'Sullivan's text just made my preparation go better.
Practice exam scores were in the mid to high 70s, early 80s at this point, but that is not a good predictor because I had taken the practice exams once already and remembered some of the answers.

I continued studying O'Sullivan until I had read the entire book through cover to cover. I kept taking the practice exams over and over and I bought two Iphone Apps-- PT Content Master ($20) and PT Question of the Day. ($10 for 6 month subscription). I kept doing questions and reading O'Sullivan.
Second time I took the exam I was more relaxed and when I finished the exam I felt like I could have kept going. My endurance wasn't shot to hell at that time. I also learned a trick or two. I budgeted time better. You have 5 hours. I used 1 hour for every section and made sure to mark and go back to any questions I didn't know. I used ALL the time. Up to the last second I spent checking and rechecking my answers.

Something else my 2nd time, I just felt like I had more mental endurance--for me that was the main thing so I saw the more studying and mental "muscle" you can build up, the better.

James 222, did you use any of your textbooks for references??