Any NYU students live here?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Generallee

NYUCD 2010
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I found a brand new apartment complex called the Octagon. The rent is considerably less than that of Murray Hill and Grammercy, but it's located on Roosevelt Island/Upper East Side. I'm wondering what the commute will be like. If I can get to the school in less than 30 minutes, I'll have to really consider it. Any insight would be appreciated! Heres the website to the apartments:

http://www.octagonnyc.com/index.asp

Members don't see this ad.

WOW!!! that place is gorgeous!!!
i just went and saw the dorms today and this is MUCH nicer!! haha..and cheaper!

Generallee said:
I found a brand new apartment complex called the Octagon. The rent is considerably less than that of Murray Hill and Grammercy, but it's located on Roosevelt Island/Upper East Side. I'm wondering what the commute will be like. If I can get to the school in less than 30 minutes, I'll have to really consider it. Any insight would be appreciated! Heres the website to the apartments:

the commute shouldnt be too bad if your near the 6 line. the 6 will take you to 28th and lex which is a 5 minute walk from the school. depending on how far north you are.....the train takes about 15 mins to get from 96 to 28th. Probably a little more with morning commute, so overall not bad if you have a good deal.

Members don't see this ad :)
I highly recommend you people live within walking distance your first year until you "get a feel for things".

Do people successfully live "far" away and commute? Of course. But personally, I wouldn't be able to do it. The gaps in schedules and such makes everythign so convenient... naps, eating, working out....

Generallee said:

Hi, i also thought about these apartments before but the problem is transportation. To get to the subway (F train ) or tram that takes you to Manhattan you need to take bus first. Then if you take F train you still have to transfer to other trains. Basicly there are 2 options: you can either transfer to L train on 14street and get off in 2 stops on 14 street and 1st avenue and then walk 10 blocks or you can transfer to 6 train (but I think to do it you'll have to get off on Lexington and 63rd street- that's one stop from Roosevelt Island, then walk 4 blocks (maybe less) and take 6 train, get off at 23 and Park Ave and then you have to walk agin about 10 min. So I'm not sure that it's very convenient, but I didn't try it, maybe it's not as bad as it seems or maybe there is other way. I met somebody who lived at the Island and I think they told me that it doesn't take long. But I don't think you can do it under 30 minutes, maybe I'm wrong. Maybe I need to try getting there from school and see how long it takes:)

i just checked out the octagon, beautiful, but something i would love to do maybe 3rd and 4th year, when i've settled into NYC. where is it located exactly?

Sowthpaw4 said:
i just checked out the octagon, beautiful, but something i would love to do maybe 3rd and 4th year, when i've settled into NYC. where is it located exactly?
To see where it is just download NY subway map and find roosevelt Island- follow F line towards Queens (it's little island between Manhattan and Queens.)

talyanech said:
To see where it is just download NY subway map and find roosevelt Island- follow F line towards Queens (it's little island between Manhattan and Queens.)

Or you can look at Octagon's website again and there are good pictures of the location and such...

Also I'd appreciate if somebody could clarify this- School estimates that we would need 22000 for housing and only around 5000 for personal expenses, so how people do afford to spend 2000 per month for rent? Do you have some savings or you get more private loans or parents should support you? I really want to live close to school but if I get only 27000 per year I don't see how can I spend more than 1000 and I think even this might be hard for me. Everything is very expensive in Manhattan including food, so I really just don't get it how people manage to do it with such limited loan amount.

talyanech said:
Also I'd appreciate if somebody could clarify this- School estimates that we would need 22000 for housing and only around 5000 for personal expenses, so how people do afford to spend 2000 per month for rent? Do you have some savings or you get more private loans or parents should support you? I really want to live close to school but if I get only 27000 per year I don't see how can I spend more than 1000 and I think even this might be hard for me. Everything is very expensive in Manhattan including food, so I really just don't get it how people manage to do it with such limited loan amount.

I have the same concern as well. I think the rent is simply too much to my standard. Any help from the current NYUCD students?

The rent advertised is for people that qualify for moderate income levels. you need to earn between 65-70K per year, otherwise you have to pay market value which is about 2300 per month for a one bedroom in the octagon. you also have to pay 75$ for a credit check to qualify.