Any of you guys hate undergrad?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jonari

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
In the sense taking courses you really didn't like, but had to, in order to fulfill the requirements. Classes such as Evolution, Ecology, etc etc.

I enjoyed classes such as A&P, Histology, Embryology, etc etc...

I just feel as if some of these classes are a complete waste of time, and I really want to learn what I am in school for.

Members don't see this ad.

yea they could elminate about 40 hrs from my degree and i would be the exact same as i am now.

I am not excited about my Evolutionary Biology course or taking Plant Morphology
Other than that I am alright...but I wish someone would have told me as a freshman you can major in anything- I would have been a history major for sure!

Members don't see this ad :)
I could have done without physics.

I know. I only like physiology, anatomy, histology , medical terminology, and medical basketweaving for future doctors.

All other classes suck and are a complete waste of anybody's time.

Ya, I definitely could have done without many of my courses....mainly every single psychology course I ever took, other than biopsych and psychopharm. I've gotten to the point where I only want to take science courses (I'm an english major) because I feel like they're the only thing of worth that I'd have some type of trouble learning outside of school.

Man, you're school has some interesting requirements for majors... I was a bio major, and all the classes required were relevant even if they weren't loads of fun: Gen bio, gen chem, gen physics, orgo, biochem, cell bio, genetics, developmental bio, and calc.

And anyways, even the classes seem kind of bogus, or taught badly, undergrad should definitely be FUN and delightfully memorable. :) So just do your best to breeze by the bad classes, and ENJOY the non-class part of undergrad :)

... I wish someone would have told me as a freshman you can major in anything- I would have been a history major for sure!

I know! I would have majored in economics...now it's a minor, which is a nice break from all the lab courses during the semester.

The cool thing at my school is that there are no 'required' courses for the major above introductory level work. The rest of the major comes from a set of distribution requirements like "Four 200 level courses are required with at least one from each of the following groups: cell biology, systems biology, and community biology" and you can pick within those...plus a few higher levels, etc. It's nice not to have any specific course required, but everything here is extremely difficult no matter if you chose it or not.

In the sense taking courses you really didn't like, but had to, in order to fulfill the requirements. Classes such as Evolution, Ecology, etc etc.

I just feel as if some of these classes are a complete waste of time, and I really want to learn what I am in school for.

IMO, you couldn't be more WRONG!

Highschool is all about taking classes you have 0 interest in. I hated highschool, we were forced to take general courses that will never, EVER, benefit you or are interesting in any way. All the courses were so easy that I slept through school.

I don't get where you are coming from! In med/dentistry/law/pharmacy/etc. schools, you are FORCED into a preset curriculum. In undergrad you only need to take a limited amount of credits in a general area, you still choose almost every course you take. What more do you want?

I actually miss undergrad now that I am out of it. But I could have majored in nursing, so that I can graduate and have enough cash to go on vacations.
Pretty boring life I live now!:scared:

Highschool is all about taking classes you have 0 interest in. I hated highschool, we were forced to take general courses that will never, EVER, benefit you or are interesting in any way. All the courses were so easy that I slept through school.

I don't get where you are coming from! In med/dentistry/law/pharmacy/etc. schools, you are FORCED into a preset curriculum. In undergrad you only need to take a limited amount of credits in a general area, you still choose almost every course you take. What more do you want?

Thats exactly the point of high school....all the slackers at least have to be able to graduate and get by somehow. Once you get into college its a different story though....honestly, is taking music 101 (or any of the generals) really going to benefit me if I hate artsy, fartsy music styles and already know what I want to do with my life??

Thats exactly the point of high school....all the slackers at least have to be able to graduate and get by somehow. Once you get into college its a different story though....honestly, is taking music 101 (or any of the generals) really going to benefit me if I hate artsy, fartsy music styles and already know what I want to do with my life??

I was a slacker in highschool hehe :)

Maybe my University is a little different than yours. For my psych BA, I have to take 9 credits (3 classes) of natural science, social science, and humanities. There is also a foreign language requirement (almost everyone satisfies it in HS), and a math and english requirement (which I passed out of).

So basically:

-The Natural science courses are satisfied by my pre-med requirement
-The Social science courses are satisfied by my major (psych) and some honors seminars I will be taking.
-The humanities courses I will have to satisfy outside of my major/pre-med.

Maybe I'm crazy, but a lot of courses REALLY interest me. If I didn't have to maintain a very competitive gpa, I would prefer to major in math or physics. And if the research opportunities weren't so vastly more accessible, I would also consider majors like english, history, or especially philosophy.

So for me, the general education requirements for the BA in psych are courses I plan on taking out of interest anyways. IDK, I wish I had time to take humanities courses, but right now I'm bogged down in honors/pre-med/psych/research.

At my University, there aren't that many GER requirements you are forced into.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was a slacker in highschool hehe :)

Maybe my University is a little different than yours. For my psych BA, I have to take 9 credits (3 classes) of natural science, social science, and humanities. There is also a foreign language requirement (almost everyone satisfies it in HS), and a math and english requirement (which I passed out of).

So basically:

-The Natural science courses are satisfied by my pre-med requirement
-The Social science courses are satisfied by my major (psych) and some honors seminars I will be taking.
-The humanities courses I will have to satisfy outside of my major/pre-med.

Maybe I'm crazy, but a lot of courses REALLY interest me. If I didn't have to maintain a very competitive gpa, I would prefer to major in math or physics. And if the research opportunities weren't so vastly more accessible, I would also consider majors like english, history, or especially philosophy.

So for me, the general education requirements for the BA in psych are courses I plan on taking out of interest anyways. IDK, I wish I had time to take humanities courses, but right now I'm bogged down in honors/pre-med/psych/research.

At my University, there aren't that many GER requirements you are forced into.

I'm kind of in the same boat as you....maybe just paddling in a different direction. Some required classes interest me....but I just hate having my hands tied and other people telling what to take in order to "diversify".

I would say that most classes I took in undergrad were a huge waste of time

ugh, yes.

i'd much rather learn humanities/social studies from reading a few books than taking class.

and i haaaaaate chemistry. where'd my bio go? :confused:

Hated: every math course, general and organic chemsitry, zoology, English, history, music, art, and literature.

ok courses: biochemistry, A&P, botany, psych, ethics, speech, and microbiology.

Loved: human development, immunology, genetics, ethics, genetics in society, and critical thinking.

They could eliminate all my science classes and I'd be the exact same as I was in highschool. The humanities classes kept me alive.

I actually miss undergrad now that I am out of it. But I could have majored in nursing, so that I can graduate and have enough cash to go on vacations.
Pretty boring life I live now!:scared:

Then go back to school and get a nursing degree. You already have a B.S., so you can get a nursing degree only 1 year.

Who cares about the classes? Pre-reqs are necessary hoops you have to jump through, that can suck sometimes, but for the most part aren't too taxing. College is a great time where your sole responsibility is to learn for the sake of your own edification. You're surrounded by your friends and have countless daily social opportunities at your fingertips.

It strikes me a lot of young children who say they "can't wait to grow up," while the adults all smile and laugh to themselves because if the kids knew what growing up was all about they would be scared ****less and cling to their childhood with every shred of their being. Not saying pre-meds are children, but yeah. Enjoy college for what it is: a completely unique, isolated experience unlike any other you will encounter for the remainder of your lives.

Med school/real life will come at you a lot faster than you think possible. Parts of it are great (like actually training and achieving your life goals), but most of it sucks.

For me it's always fun to learn new things. Sure some of the subjects are more challenging and some professors aren't effective teachers. Most of the time, even the completely useless things that we learn are quite intrinsically interesting.

hated: physics, all my humanities courses, calc, orgo, (all of it)

liked: biochem, anatomy :)

So many people here claim to only enjoy about two or three classes during their undergrad. You guys, EXPAND YOUR HORIZONS. My god.. College is four years long, your gonna take a LOT of courses. Develop some interests! Sure, we all have courses that we hate and are forced to take, but for gods sake try and enjoy something other than A&P. These are exactly the people medical schools try to weed out; people who only care about science and "cant stand" anything else.

To date, there has only been two classes I have taken I haven't enjoyed. We get quite a bit of freedom in college in taking courses, other than the ones required by our major. Develop some other interests, people, and try to enjoy life...

(I know this doesn't apply to everyone. If you are one of these people, please disregard :))

i could have done without all my english, art, and other bs requirements. Really seemed like a waste of time in those classes.

Biology is a useless undergrad degree unless you are going to grad school. Med schools would be so much better off if they actually preferred other majors instead.

Sigh, I know a lot of biology, but it'll all be covered in 2 days of med school anyway. So for people reading this now who are still in high school, DO NOT MAJOR IN BIOLOGY.

Helpful for the MCAT, but almost pointless otherwise.

I miss undergrad so much!! i loved all the classes..physics, o-chem, all of it!! I'm in a master's program now...and the classes are a lot more of a drag.

i hate all academic aspects of college. the only thing that keeps me going is friday nights...