any offers outside the match

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

snowman8

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just recieved an offer via e-mail outside the match. Since I'm a DO, I'm considered a "independent applicant" and can accept a spot outside of the NRMP. This is news to me. I didn't know this before. Just curious if any other DO's out there are also getting offers outside the match.

Members don't see this ad.

Good to know, Mr. DO. Can I assume you went to TCOM? Was the offer for a Texas school? Can you identify the program? I'm asking since I ranked TCOM #1 in the upcoming Texas Match.

Congrat's BTW :thumbup:

snowman8 said:
I just recieved an offer via e-mail outside the match. Since I'm a DO, I'm considered a "independent applicant" and can accept a spot outside of the NRMP. This is news to me. I didn't know this before. Just curious if any other DO's out there are also getting offers outside the match.

Is anyone else slightly annoyed about the fact that DO's seem to get special treatment in the NRMP??? Why can MD's not be afforded the same opportunity to receive offers outside the match? Better yet, why can' we play by the same rules?

Members don't see this ad :)
Geddy, these offers go out to both MD's and DO's. It is something that violates the principles of the match system, but in all honesty, I'm for whatever helps the med students/residents. If you get an offer from an institution and you really wanted to go there, then sign the contract. Going through the match, only to pull the rug out from the program you matched with, to sign with another program that offered you outside the match is the only thing I would discourage.

From an institutional perspective, this is something that is poorly tolerated and if you don't want to get the institution you were offered by in trouble, don't post the name of the institution here or anywhere else for that matter. If the NRMP gets word of this, they can unilaterally punish an institution by pulling them out of the match process in subsequent years. Have never heard of it coming to that mostly because the programs are very discreet I'm sure, but still it would be a significant blow to the program since the programs rely on the organization of the program to help manage the flood of applications into a uniform pool.

Signing outside of the match does not apply to senior MD students, the only MD's who can sign are FMGs and those who graduated more than 1 year ago. I doubt that any program would offer a contract to a senior MD student. They would not want a dated, signed contract floating around. The only way this would work is if the student and the program were in cahoots. That is student doesn't submit a match list and the program mysteriously fills all but one spot in the match. Highly unlikely unless it is a one person program but then why bother, just rank each other #1 and you guarantee a match.

teamdick said:
Signing outside of the match does not apply to senior MD students, the only MD's who can sign are FMGs and those who graduated more than 1 year ago. I doubt that any program would offer a contract to a senior MD student. They would not want a dated, signed contract floating around. The only way this would work is if the student and the program were in cahoots. That is student doesn't submit a match list and the program mysteriously fills all but one spot in the match. Highly unlikely unless it is a one person program but then why bother, just rank each other #1 and you guarantee a match.

Actually I know of one person who was a US medical student and was offered a spot outside of the match and are currently a PGY1 in a categoriacal anesthesia program. Don't really know if it was legit or not, but do know that it is possible for a fourth year to be offered a spot. I'm sure that it is extremely rare though.

GeddyLee said:
Is anyone else slightly annoyed about the fact that DO's seem to get special treatment in the NRMP??? Why can MD's not be afforded the same opportunity to receive offers outside the match? Better yet, why can' we play by the same rules?

I feel your pain. MDs go to real medical schools by earning their way in, and DOs go to schools of osteopathy when they can't get into MD schools. Not only that, but now after our allopathic medical education, osteopaths are getting special treatment in our allopathic residencies! GRRRRRR

The NRMP will undoubtedly get a discreet email about this. Reading the website, there are serious consequences for this type of activity, for both the applicant and the program.

MS3NavyFS2B said:
MDs go to real medical schools by earing their way in, and DOs go to schools of osteopathy when they can't get into MD schools.

You are an arrogant a$$. You obviously know very little about modern osteopathic education, the reason people choose this path, and academic reputations. Get over your self.

I agree, what arrogance. Plus both moderators of this forum are both DO's. Nothing like pi$$ing off peers and mentors right away.

I wasn't trying to start another MD vs DO war. I actually wish I didn't receive this offer. Trust me, it confuses things a whole lot more. I just wanted to know if others were getting offers outside of the match, and what they were deciding on doing (contacting their other top choices to get a feel, accepting the offer, etc....). Please don't be immature and change the subject of this forum!

OrthoFixation said:
You are an arrogant a$$. You obviously know very little about modern osteopathic education, the reason people choose this path, and academic reputations. Get over your self.

Hey man...don't take offence. I'm simply speaking from experience. At my well-known undergraduate institution, the only students that applied to DO schools were people who were either not qualified or just marginally so for MD schools.

Trust me...I know about osteopathic manipulation. I also know that my buddies in DO school hate it, and wished they could have went allopath, especially after finding out how difficult it is to get into an allopathic residency in a non-primary-care field--except gas, I suppose (but not for much longer), in which there seems to be an abundance of osteopaths (boy, sure are really using that osteopathic philosophy...well, I suppose the chin lift counts as manipulation).

By the way, I've never heard of any physician going to a DO school for its "academic reputation," by which I'm assuming you mean its postitive reputation...sort of an oxymoron, however.

GeddyLee said:

Yeah it really sucks. Ask all the DO's applying to competitive residencies about the "special treatment" they are recieving. I'm sure they may have a bit of a different spin on the fairness of the process. I hope that someday you get your wish and we do all get to play by the same rules.

MS3NavyFS2B said:
This is another topic altogether. Don't get me started on physicans that don't practice medicine.

Alright...enough!
PLEASE DO NOT REPLY TO THIS IDIOT, HE IS A RUSH LIMBAUGH WANNABE. I WOULD ONLY TAKE HIM SERIOUSLY IF HE WOULD REVEAL HIS IDENTITY AND NOT HIDE BLINDLY BEHIND THESE POSTS.

MS3NavyFS2B said:
This is another topic altogether. Don't get me started on physicans that don't practice medicine.

Alright...enough!

Zing! Pow! ZOWEE!! Go get 'em MS3NavyFS2B, you tiger! RAWWRRR!!! You're such a truth-speaker! How would this forum survive without you!!! I don't know!

:love:

-Skip

I'm a U.S.-IMG (actually senior) and I know of several people in my class who got '"pre-match" offers. These are only offered to DO students and IMGs, considered (as was pointed out) "independent applicants". You do not have to be a previously trained IMG, etc.

Trust me, this is not a huge advantage. Most of the programs that offer pre-match spots have had problems historically filling in the match, are lower-tier programs, etc. It is tempting when you get an offer ("a bird in the hand..."), but it does defeat the purpose of the match. The only way I think it would truly be prudent to take a spot given such an offer is if you have serious concerns that you will not match (i.e., few interviews, not-very-competitive scores/application, etc.). Otherwise, it's worth it to stay in the Match, IMHO, and see where you fall out.

So, it does suck that U.S. seniors are not allowed to accept out-of-match offers, but in the end you'll probably have better opportunities to interview at programs that won't even consider a DO or IMG application.

Good luck to everyone. Just remember, the program you end up at is the best program for you.

-Skip

MS3NavyFS2B said:
I feel your pain. MDs go to real medical schools by earning their way in, and DOs go to schools of osteopathy when they can't get into MD schools. Not only that, but now after our allopathic medical education, osteopaths are getting special treatment in our allopathic residencies! GRRRRRR

The NRMP will undoubtedly get a discreet email about this. Reading the website, there are serious consequences for this type of activity, for both the applicant and the program.

Don't feed the troll.

MS3NavyFS2B said:

Alright...enough!

Enjoy working with all the DO's that the military lets slip and slide their greasy 2nd rate wormy bodies into. I hope it drives ya mad! At least you won't be seeing me at the base buddy.

Skip Intro said:
I'm a U.S.-IMG (actually senior) and I know of several people in my class who got '"pre-match" offers. These are only offered to DO students and IMGs, considered (as was pointed out) "independent applicants". You do not have to be a previously trained IMG, etc.

Trust me, this is not a huge advantage. Most of the programs that offer pre-match spots have had problems historically filling in the match, are lower-tier programs, etc. It is tempting when you get an offer ("a bird in the hand..."), but it does defeat the purpose of the match. The only way I think it would truly be prudent to take a spot given such an offer is if you have serious concerns that you will not match (i.e., few interviews, not-very-competitive scores/application, etc.). Otherwise, it's worth it to stay in the Match, IMHO, and see where you fall out.

So, it does suck that U.S. seniors are not allowed to accept out-of-match offers, but in the end you'll probably have better opportunities to interview at programs that won't even consider a DO or IMG application.

Good luck to everyone. Just remember, the program you end up at is the best program for you.

-Skip

The person I know is an MD not a DO and goes to a pretty top notch program. It happens, but like I said before, don't know if it is legit.