Any one studying at UCD-RCSI

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rico

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there,

Is there anyone studying at UCD or RCSI?
I got couple of e-mail and they never respond to my questions ( might have been fake)

I'd appreciate if anyone can provide his/her e-mail.
I have some questions regarding schools and program.

Thanks,
Reza

Members don't see this ad.

Rico said:
Hi there,

Is there anyone studying at UCD or RCSI?
I got couple of e-mail and they never respond to my questions ( might have been fake)

I'd appreciate if anyone can provide his/her e-mail.
I have some questions regarding schools and program.

Thanks,
Reza

I'm in RCSI pm me with your email +questions and I'll email you

Members don't see this ad :)
i'm at UCD if you have any questions about UCD...

Hi there,

I'll be starting the five year program at UCD in the fall. I'm just wondering what books you recommend for the first year. And also did you buy your books before you left or did you get them in Ireland ?

Just in general, I'd buy books here, unless you've already found books you like and want to use, or you've gotten a super good deal on them. Books are really quite heavy to lug around. Also, you might want to get books that your curriculum uses, as you may be examined in a way that favors those books. Like in Anatomy, all the US students generally seem to use Moores, which is quite helpful, but your exam study may be made easier using the book that they recommend. Little differences like that can help you for your exams but won't hurt you for USMLE study (since Anatomy is Anatomy wherever you go). When you start preparing for the USMLE in a couple years time, you may want to purchase some high-yield books or something at home since they'll probably be cheaper there, but you won't have to think about that til the time comes.

hello!

wonderin if any current rcsi students could give me a low down on the course? iv heard that student life isn't the greatest and the facilities are a bit dated,with the teaching hospitals being a bit rundown aswell?

Any info would be much appreciated

Whats UCD rez like? I understand that for those starting the five year program in sept.2005, the first year of classes will be at Earlsfort Terrace but for the following years classes will be held at belfied. Whats the transport like from Belfield/UCD rez to Earlsfort terrace? Would you recommend finding a place closer to downtown?

Hi!

I just finished my 1st year at UCD. So, I can give you some idea of what it's like. I had a great time this year, there was just over 20 Canadians in my year (18 of which were boys!) so there was plenty of opportunity to hang out and do Canadian things, like watch hockey! It took a while to get to know everyone since the class is so big (240!), with about half the class being Malaysian and the other half Irish, but everyone is really nice and friendly.

Res in UCD is… well, res. I didn’t live in it but most of my friends did, and it’s very much like apartment-style residences at home. Wouldn’t really be the highest standards of cleanliness or comfort, but a great way to meet people and the parties are pretty good!

The busses between ET and Belfield are pretty convenient (if that word could ever be used to describe Dublin Bus…) There are several that run all day long eg 10 and 46 (a, b, c) and during the day you really shouldn’t have to wait for more than a few minutes for the bus to come. It’s about a 10min bus ride and it can get pretty jammed during the rush hours, but it’s not too bad.

Books. You should probably wait til you get here since they’re about the same price as they would be at home if you bought them new, and there are lots of things you will probably want to bring instead with what little valuable luggage space we are given! I got a lot of mine pretty cheaply from upper year students selling their books. They’ll post notices on the bulletin boards in ET at the beginning of the year. From my experience you don’t have to take the reading list we’re given too seriously. Most 1st year med books will contain basically the same info so it just depends on the style you like best. For example, the recommended Physiology book is Berne & Levy and most people in my class thought it was a (very heavy) hunk of crap, but I’m sure there are some who loved it. A lot of people really like Costanza instead. I’m a visual learner so I loved Netter’s Atlas (the big one and the one for embryology) and I had Moore’s Anatomy. Pretty much any book that might possibly be handy is available in the library here, so if money is tight you can always just borrow them or use them in the library.

Okay, I hope that helps!

sluequee,

Thanks so much for all the info and advice :)

Just a few more questions, are the apartments on res segregated by gender or are they mixed? I've noticed the application form doesn't ask for preferences at all. I've really liked the descriptions of the glenomena residences and from what i've read in the application package, they usually give spots to n.american grads there. Parties - that makes me a bit leery, i've never lived in res before and have very little knowledge of what its like - are they really loud? how often, etc??

Sluequee, you mentioned that you didn't live on res, if you dont mind my asking - what kind of arrangement did you have and how did you go about finding a place to stay - was it difficult to find something reasonable offcampus?

Hi!

Since I didn't live in Res, I can't guarantee my info is the most accurate available... but from what I could tell Merville is segregated by gender, but my friends in Glenomena had mixed apartments. Glenomena is pretty nice, they have it networked for the internet, which Merville doesn't. From what some of my friends have said, both res' can get a bit cold and drafty in the winter. I don't really know what the noise level is like, I think Merville is a bit noisier since it's mostly upper year students in Glenomena.

If you are thinking of living out of res you can look up www.daft.ie for some places. It'd be handy to live in the city centre but it's a bit expensive, it'd be just as handy to live a little bit out of the centre but close to the LUAS line. I might not be the greatest for info on how to find a place to live as, my boyfriend is Irish, so when I got here I just moved in with him.

Carl Lusby is in charge of international and medical students at UCD. Her email address is [email protected]. If you have any questions, she is a great source of info.

I hope that helps. Let me know if you have anymore questions!

lived in merville last year...wasn't too bad...i didn't think the noise was all that bad. bring earplugs if you're concerned about sleeping but it's not animal house wild. glenomena is nice and everyone gets their own bathroom, but very few first years get in there....it's mostly reserved for postgraduate students (which we technically are because we already have degrees but medicine is an undergraduate course so it's a bit of a grey area). merville is definitely cold and drafty in the winter, they don't know what insulation is here. all the walls are concrete so plan to invest in a lot of cash on electricity and a good duvet. overall it's fine and you'll have a great time. from the sounds of it hte parties this year were better, they busted us down a lot last year. it's not really that bad and it's definitely worht the experience, particularly if you've never lived in any residence before...

hey. i'm a UCD student who just moved out of merville last month (yay!), but i also spent loads of time at glenomena too. sluequee (ain't she great?) gave some fairly accurate descriptions. merville's your basic 4 single bedroom apt-styled rez, one "large" sitting room with an attached kitchen (comes with oven, stove, toaster and kettle), and 2 bathrooms. so all in all, it's not a bad situation. the walls are thin, the windows have these bizarre vents which lets the cold air seep in (but can be taped up to stop the draft, save on heat and money!).
gleno is 6 single bedrooms with ensuite bathrooms. 3 guys, 3 girls. larger and comfier sitting room, and they get cable tv (but you have to supply the tv). their kitchen is larger and nicer, has a stove and microwave, but no oven. most people i spoke to preferred the oven over the microwave. but it's more expensive and you'll end up paying more in electricity too. although it is quieter and nicer, and it's closer to the laundromat (or as they call it, the laundrette).
the good things about merville is that you'll be near a good number of people from your class, it's convenient in its location (for everything needed when you're not at ET), and it's a great way to meet and mingle with irish and non-med people (which unfortunately doesn't get to happen that often).
there are tonnes of buses that can take you into town and to ET (10/A, 46ABCDE, 145, 746, 84X, there are more, but i forget them). you'll get used to the commute, and it's not that bad.
as for books, definitely wait until you're in dublin. buy books from upper year students. use the books in the library. if you have any of the suggested books already with you in canada, bring 'em up to save money, but get a feel for what you think you'll actually need once you're here.
i hope that helps. once you've got the living situation figured out, you'll find out everything you need to know about UCD when you do the orientation in september. usually the canadians get together after for an informal session to give the new canadian students more useful info.

No one replied to my topic so maybe someone could reply here...

I'd be interested to know the curriculum of vet school in University College of Dublin as I haven't found it anywhere. What subjects do you study and during which year?

it's all here

pingu1 said:
No one replied to my topic so maybe someone could reply here...

I'd be interested to know the curriculum of vet school in University College of Dublin as I haven't found it anywhere. What subjects do you study and during which year?

Medgirl, thank you so much, I don't know why I couldn't find that...