Any opinions on UCSF?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

JulianCrane

The Power of Intention
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi, does anyone know about the department at UCSF? Anyone ever do an elective there?
 
No personal experience - it's got a reputation for being one of the best programs in the country, although also very hardcore (rumor only).
 
Yeah, I have a friend who is a med student at UCSF. Said the residents worked super hard but of course come out well-trained. This is probably cuz of their county or public hospital, which I heard was very disorganized. Didn't apply there, but have a friend who really wants to go there. They are very strong on family planning and international health. I guess the other reason she likes it is because they are a very gay friendly program (confirmed by med. student friend that majority of residents are lesbians). I would do an elective there if you're not a CA resident and if you interview there or other Cali schools, you should have a lot of good reasons why you want to be in Cali.