any other confused DO's?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

prankster

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i'm a 4th year DO student planning to apply to allopathic residencies. i was hoping someone could clear some of these questions about internship up.

This is my understanding: To practice in those five or seven states or whatever, we have to do an osteopathic internship. However, from what i've read, we are not allowed to take the ABPN boards if we do an osteopathic internship. The way around this would be to do a dual accredited internship (though there aren't many of those). But if we match in a dual accredited internship, won't we be automatically kicked out of the categorical (PGY1-4) MD programs in the allopathic match? If we do an allopathic internship and get it approved via Resolution 42, does that also allow us to practice in those states or does that just give us AOA approval?

Also, a totally separate topic, how do you go about applying to these advanced versus categorical programs? Because from going to the program websites, it seems some programs require you to do your internship year there and automatically let you join their internship if you match neuro, some programs require you to do internship there and "apply separately" for the internship, and some programs want you to find your own internship....is there a separate match for internship and residency? i don't get it....sorry it's so long, i'm just completely confused

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I was in your shoes 2 years ago, and I'll try to answer some of your questions.

In order to begin an ACGME only Neurology program, your internship must be ACGME accredited as well, along with meeting the minimum requirements delineated on the ABPN website.

There aren't many free standing, dually accredited internships. From my searching 2 years ago, all the internships I found were linked to Primary care residency spots. Matching into one of those programs would get you pulled from matching into any other Neuro program.

If you did happen to find a free standing, dually accredited internship where you did match, you would be withdrawn from all categorical positions (PGY1-4) in the ACGME match. You would still be able to rank Advanced positions (PGY 2-4).

As far as applying to advanced and categorical spots, each program will let you know how they are set up and you can decide which track to apply to when you set up your rank order list after interviews. Some programs are clear about what they offer on their website, some are not and you have to call them. Some programs only offer one option or the other, some have both categorical and advanced slots. Some programs, even if they are categorical, still want you to interview with their prelim medicine program to get their approval.

As far as your question regarding a separate match for internship and residency, it's all the same match. You rank residency programs first. Then, for each advanced program you can create a supplementary rank order list for internships. This list only gets tapped if you match into the advanced program the list is attached to. You can have a separate internship rank order list for each program if that's what you want.

Some of this information could be dated because of all the changes in AOA internship tracks. Resolution 42 wouldn't be a bad way to go and it should still meet the requirements that those 5 states have. Or, you can come to MSU and be in a dually accredited internship and residency program:).

neuro dropout, I pm'd you a question.

OP, yeah this process is also confusing to me, as well as finding the information. So, my plan was just to apply only allo and avoid the trouble, I was thinking that would work? Furthermore, I'm going to try very hard to focus on the programs that offer the prelim as well.

Also, how do we even search the osteopathic neuro programs? Are any of them touted as quite solid or reputable? Forgive my ignorance.

Members don't see this ad :)
hey neurodropout, thanks for all your help. I actually am interested in the MSU program, but unfortunately haven't gotten to rotate there and now it's kinda too late for me to set up an elective there (the rest of my electives are after the interview season). However, I wanted to still apply to MSU, I can do that through the allopathic match, right? Because at this time I obviously am not sure if it would be my #1, I don't want to apply for MSU through the osteopathic match and get kicked out of the allopathic match. Would applying to MSU as a DO through the allopathic match make any difference?

Bigdreamer, neurodropout explained it pretty well. If you decide to go allopathic, you should be able to get the requirement waived through resolution 42 (of course it's no guarantee).

WOw! Just the questions I had! Resolution 42 has such a secretive sound to it like Area 51 and what not. I was hoping to apply in florida until I heard about this AOA approved crap. Now I am not so sure.

hey neurodropout, thanks for all your help. I actually am interested in the MSU program, but unfortunately haven't gotten to rotate there and now it's kinda too late for me to set up an elective there (the rest of my electives are after the interview season). However, I wanted to still apply to MSU, I can do that through the allopathic match, right? Because at this time I obviously am not sure if it would be my #1, I don't want to apply for MSU through the osteopathic match and get kicked out of the allopathic match. Would applying to MSU as a DO through the allopathic match make any difference?

As a DO candidate you can apply through either match, and for me it didn't make a difference. I initially applied to MSU through the AOA side. By the time they offered me an interview I had decided to only participate in the ACGME match. I was informed that I could rank the program through either match as a DO. So I reapplied through the ACGME side so that I could rank MSU through the ACGME match (I think it was another $8).

I didn't rotate with MSU as a student either. While rotating here would be a plus, it is by no means necessary.

Have any of you looked at Ohio University's neurology program through Grandview Hospital? It appears to be a strong residency program with grads getting fellowships in interventional neurology, sleep, etc. If you are interested in applying to this program you will need to do at least a two week rotation. I would recommend checking it out. :)