Any other internationals doing undergrad in the U.S.?

Started by bluesails
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

bluesails

Tufts c/o 2018!!
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was just wondering if anyone was having the same experience as I am, mainly not being able to get any paid internships/employment because of Visa status, having to balance getting experience hours with going home, etc.

I'm a Filipino who lived most of her life in the Philippines but I moved to Bangkok, Thailand a couple of years ago and I've been attending an international school here since then.

I plan to get experience in both my home country and the U.S. and then compare them as a possible PS topic. Equine veterinary medicine in particular interests me because back in the Philippines we don't have a lot of very good equipment and have to take what roughly translates to an "old school" approach to a lot of the diagnoses. I shadowed a racetrack vet for a week and loved it there, so I want to see how it compares to the experience in the U.S. 🙂

Sooo anyone else out there? Introduce yourself!
 
Well hello!

I also completed my undergrad as an international student! I am from Mexico city and attended Oregon State, so I know exactly how you feel about not being able to get paid externships or jobs. Its not too terrible tho, I got to volunteer 3 years at an animal clinic and got some amazing experiences. Its all about getting to know people and making connections. And let me tell you, vet schools admire us international students for working so hard to get to where we're at!! I interviewed at Kansas, Iowa, and Oregon and they all had good things to say about my international status. No negative comments about lacking work experience or anything of the sort!! (and I got accepted at Kansas and Iowa 🙂 )
If you have any questions you can PM me and I'll do my best to help!!!
 
HELLO! I am also international studying here in UW – Seattle. I was born in Taiwan and I finished my elementary + high school in Canada. I think you'll be okay. I got my experience from shelters – where I have experience working with a vet and not with a vet (just cleaning and stuff). I also worked when I went back to Taiwan with a vet. I know a lot of people have tons and tons of hours and that's partially because they worked part-time. We internationals can't do that unless we apply for OPT, but that's only 12 months in our undergrad career! I will be applying for this cycle! Do you know where you want to apply?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Well hello!

I also completed my undergrad as an international student! I am from Mexico city and attended Oregon State, so I know exactly how you feel about not being able to get paid externships or jobs. Its not too terrible tho, I got to volunteer 3 years at an animal clinic and got some amazing experiences. Its all about getting to know people and making connections. And let me tell you, vet schools admire us international students for working so hard to get to where we're at!! I interviewed at Kansas, Iowa, and Oregon and they all had good things to say about my international status. No negative comments about lacking work experience or anything of the sort!! (and I got accepted at Kansas and Iowa 🙂 )
If you have any questions you can PM me and I'll do my best to help!!!


Mysticc88, may I ask you about your stats, if you’re willing? And I was wondering from whom you asked for recommendation letters? My top choice is Western so I wanna find people who had experience with Western and who understands my situation. Do you have any insight on that?
 
I will be applying for this cycle! Do you know where you want to apply?

Haha, I'm only a freshman in college! I'm already looking at Cornell, Davis, CSU, Penn, and Tufts, though. Good luck, I hope you get in and tell me awesome stories! 🙂
 
lol it's nice that you're preparing early! Don't forget to look at the pre-req as different schools require different ones and the # that they allow to be left undone at the time of application is different too!
 
Hey fellow internationals! I'm from Toronto and I did my undergrad in Memphis, TN. I really didn't find it that hard to get experience. I interned for credit at two local private practices and then I interned without pay at a the Memphis Zoo one summer and spent half my time there and half my time nannying for a family with 2 kids, a dog, a cat and 4 goats. Honestly because minimum wage is so low I probably made more money nannying/volunteering then I would have working full time at the zoo (especially with the ridiculous 350$ application for OPT). I'd look into house/pet/baby sitting if you want to make extra money (I even got goat experience out of it!). My school set me up with an alum for the nannying I did, but you can also look on craigslist or other sites for jobs.
 
Mysticc88, may I ask you about your stats, if you’re willing? And I was wondering from whom you asked for recommendation letters? My top choice is Western so I wanna find people who had experience with Western and who understands my situation. Do you have any insight on that?

My stats:
general GPA: 3.6
science GPA: 3.65
GRE: not too stellar, I don't remember exactly what it was. (borderline acceptable for me!!)
experience hours: about 2 years at a small animal clinic at time of application

I got my LORS from the 2 vets I had been volunteering with and from my advisor at school. I have no information on Western though 🙁 I applied to Kansas, Iowa, Washington, and Oregon. Let me know if I can be of more help!!