any other second-years hate their life right now?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TexasTriathlete

HTFU
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
We've got two weeks left, and every time I walk through the doors into the school, I want to stab myself in the face. Time could not be moving any slower.

Members don't see this ad.

We've got two weeks left, and every time I walk through the doors into the school, I want to stab myself in the face. Time could not be moving any slower.

I know what you mean except time is moving be really really quickly for me. It seems like yesterday that boards was months away and now it is only a few weeks away. Its worse because we're still in school and KCUMB keeps wasting our time with stupid crap when we should be focused on boards. Thanks for the week and a half off to study for and take boards KCUMB. Sometimes common sense and logic are too much to expect from the people who plan you're medical school experience.

After 5 years of undergrad, 2 in a MS program, and 2 in med school, I can't wait for May 21st at 12:00 pm. I avoid going to school at all costs, mainly by listening to the lecture recordings. It helps, but I can't wait for clinicals to start.

I definitely feel your pain, TT.

@ Elftown: You'll understand when you are at the end of 2nd year. All you'll want is to get out of the classroom, get boards done, and start the fun part of med school.

Members don't see this ad :)

This probably doesn't help you, but I made this highly accurate, representative graph of the perception of time during med school looking back over all 4 years.

Med school perceived time vs actual time

You're in the "Time Flies" portion now. I know it sucks and feels slow now but in the next couple years you'll probably look back and agree. Hang in there boss, soon no more being tested on thousands of pages of material q2weeks

That is both funny and not funny at the same time.

This probably doesn't help you, but I made this highly accurate, representative graph of the perception of time during med school looking back over all 4 years.

You're in the "Time Flies" portion now. I know it sucks and feels slow now but in the next couple years you'll probably look back and agree. Hang in there boss, soon no more being tested on thousands of pages of material q2weeks

Hahaha so you're telling me this I should be enjoying myself right now as I sit in the lib for 16 hrs today cramming as much neuro into my skull as possible while watching a beautiful spring day pass me by?

At least I'll have plenty of time this summer to drink myself into a robotic stupor before next year starts ;)

Hahaha so you're telling me this I should be enjoying myself right now as I sit in the lib for 16 hrs today cramming as much neuro into my skull as possible while watching a beautiful spring day pass me by?

At least I'll have plenty of time this summer to drink myself into a robotic stupor before next year starts ;)

LOL no there is nothing enjoyable about 16 hrs/d in the library studying. But, once you're past that part time does seem to go by fast.

Then after match during 4th year, you can actually be out enjoying those beautiful spring days. :thumbup:

I know what you mean except time is moving be really really quickly for me. It seems like yesterday that boards was months away and now it is only a few weeks away. Its worse because we're still in school and KCUMB keeps wasting our time with stupid crap when we should be focused on boards. Thanks for the week and a half off to study for and take boards KCUMB. Sometimes common sense and logic are too much to expect from the people who plan you're medical school experience.

Agree. I am so burnt out. The material just keeps coming at us at full steam and its low yield crap ! Its pretty bad when a professor who won't be named tells you face to face that the 'organizer' clearly wasnt thinking about our best interests this spring and that it will likely effect us negatively by a lower avg on boards. < yet to be determined but even the docs know this is ludicrous.

That sucks. They've actually taken their foot off the gas a lot with us lately, and I thiink that's part of why its been so hard to stay focused.

A lot of what we are getting now is review, and board-relevant. Like we're doing peds and geriatrics now, so its a lot of "x is most common cause of y" in various age groups, which seems to be pretty important for boards.

You guys aren't giving us first years much to look foward to next year.

I can't believe how fast first year has gone. Senior year of college dragged on forever and I definitely felt that stab myself in the face every time I walked into class.

Seems like I just started yesterday and was scared ****less about how I was going to possibly learn all this anatomy.

Can't wait until this year is over though. Definitely need a break.

Good luck on boards guys. Anyadvice for studying for boards while you still have classes going on?

I'll tell you second year was definitely much better than first year for me. Systems, putting pictures together, short courses. The sucky part was stressing about boards at the end of second year when UNE didn't give us much time to study. On the other hand, second year makes first year look eaaaaaaasy. Perhaps because you're actually using all that stuff from first year and it's sinking in. Third year was fun - lots of hours, but fun. Fourth year first half was tiring with interviews, away rotations, etc. Second half of fourth year has been absolute cake. All electives. :D

So look forward to second year. I seemed to have a lot more time second year than I did first year. and start studying for boards EARLY - like in January so you're not so stressed out about it come May/June.

Wait, so time is going to go even faster than it is now? I don't think that is possible without breaking some sort of barrier. We just flew through neuroanatomy in 5 weeks and now are in our 2nd week of clinical neuro. I still have fresh memories of going to see a hockey game in Pittsburgh with my family the first weekend of March. It seems like when I stop to think about how far I've come, I snap out of my daydream and Bam......the block is over and we are moving onto a new system.

psych final on friday.....cannot come soon enough. I'm tired of studying what Dr. XXX said 50 years ago and other non-board relevant material.

Once you get to T-minus 2 months to the boards, all classes should be high yield / FA only stuff; then at least I would feel that my time is being spent a little more usefully.