Any Persian matriculates out there?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

erahimy

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if there are any Persians out there in the StudentDoctor Network and where are you all going.

Members don't see this ad.

erahimy said:
Just wondering if there are any Persians out there in the StudentDoctor Network and where are you all going.

I am not really considered Persian, from Afghanistan, but I do speak farsi...

Reporting for duty, sah.

But where? It's a mystery. Waitlists are quite many, and two acceptances... hard decisions. Hell, I'm goin' somewhere, but that is half the battle!

Members don't see this ad :)
Loco Loki said:
Reporting for duty, sah.

But where? It's a mystery. Waitlists are quite many, and two acceptances... hard decisions. Hell, I'm goin' somewhere, but that is half the battle!

I am not matriculating anywhere this year, I still have 2 years of undergrad to finish.

persian here--not sure where i'll be going just yet. stay tuned.

-biffy

Biffer said:
persian here--not sure where i'll be going just yet. stay tuned.

-biffy

Biffer are you in philly? I am transferring there in the fall, is there a persian population in philly? I am from DC and there all over the place here.

Hey Biffer, where might you be headed?

erahimy said:
i'm out here, and i'm persian/iranian. I'm an M1, well technically an OMS1(osteo med 1). anyway, khodafez.

nabeel76 said:
Biffer are you in philly? I am transferring there in the fall, is there a persian population in philly? I am from DC and there all over the place here.

No, no real persian population in Philly. I used to live in the DC area and Persians were all over the place. I would hear people speak Farsi all the time. I moved to Philadelphia a year ago and I haven't met a single Persian yet. Needless to say, I don't hear Farsi in the streets either.

To the OP: half-Persian here! :) 99% sure I'm going to attend penn state in the fall.

There aren't many Persians in the midwest in general. There is a decent sized community in Chicago but that's pretty much it for the Midwest.

I am Persian and so far I am attending Ohio State University but that may change to Mich U or Wash U.

liquid, I just graduated from Michigan, and have also spent 3 years of my life living in Columbus. Michigan is so much nicer than Columbus. Would be a wise switch for you, especially academics wise.

yeah--there isn't a noticeable persian pop in philly but there is a fairly active persian society (PPS) that organizes regular cultural activities/outings.

Members don't see this ad :)
Kikat--ur at penn right now? what department? I'm in psychiatry/blockley hall.

-Biff

persian princess here from kentucky... going to University of Louisville SOM this fall. :)

Biffer said:
Kikat--ur at penn right now? what department? I'm in psychiatry/blockley hall.

-Biff

Yeah, I'm at Penn. I'm finishing up my masters. One more class to take this summer and my thesis to write! I'm staying in the Gregory College House... Horrible place, but I was a GA there during the year and I didn't have to pay for it. ;)

Where are you headed Biffer?

actually kikat, I'm in limbo, waiting on PSU(waitlist) with recent interviews at NYMC and Drexel...so, hopefully some good news soon. I'm hoping to stay urban-but if PSU is it--then I'll pack my bags in a hurry.

until later,
biff

Biffer said:
actually kikat, I'm in limbo, waiting on PSU(waitlist) with recent interviews at NYMC and Drexel...so, hopefully some good news soon. I'm hoping to stay urban-but if PSU is it--then I'll pack my bags in a hurry.

until later,
biff

Argghh... That sucks. I'm sorry. :(

I'm 99% sure I'm going to Penn State and I loved it there. I think it's a really great school. I'll cross my fingers for you and hope you hear good news soon. :luck: :luck: :luck:

I know what you mean about the area though... Hershey is the middle of nowhere! I'm a little scared of moving there, especially because I'm so used to living in big cities (DC, Baltimore, and Philly now).

Anyhow. Later -

I am from Toronto.

Will be attending Dartmouth in fall.

Take care

Hey, another Persian checking in :)! I'll be going to Columbia next year - just found out I got in off the waitlist last week - I'm so excited!!! I go to school (undergrad) here so I'm already familiar with NYC, although I'm originally from MD.

thanks Kikat--i'll certainly let you know how i fare. Also, no parle francais, which is unfortunate given that my mother is an instructor and it has the coolest intonations of any language, save portuguese-- anyway, which camus quote?

erahimy said:
liquid, I just graduated from Michigan, and have also spent 3 years of my life living in Columbus. Michigan is so much nicer than Columbus. Would be a wise switch for you, especially academics wise.

Yeah its tough decision seeing that osu is $30,000/yr cheaper for me. Do you really think the money is worth it?

liquidfats said:
Yeah its tough decision seeing that osu is $30,000/yr cheaper for me. Do you really think the money is worth it?

liquid, it depends what are you talking about. Are you an undergrad now and want to transfer to Michigan for the remainder of your undergrad? Or are you an undergrad at OSU now and are considering going to med school at Michigan? In this latter scenario, I personally feel the money difference is worth it for one reason, prestige. OSU cannot hold Michigan's jockstrap when it comes to prestige and national recognition. As a matter of fact, in my humble opinion, no public school in this country holds the national recognition and prestige that Michigan does (and neither do most private schools). There is somethign about UM, that no matter where you go, everyone knows Michigan and everyone respects it. The same can't be said about other top institutions.

cowgirl said:
persian princess here from kentucky... going to University of Louisville SOM this fall. :)

Mmmm baby, come be my princess :p

Persian premed here...I'm applying to med school right now, just waiting on my MCAT score. Do any of y'all have any advice for me in this process? Also, did any of y'all mention your Persian culture in your application or interviews, and if so, do you think it helped or hurt you?

Biffer said:
Also, no parle francais, which is unfortunate given that my mother is an instructor and it has the coolest intonations of any language, save portuguese-- anyway, which camus quote?

That's funny... :)
French is actually my first language. I was born in Iran, but grew up in France. Moved to the US a few years ago. The quote says something like:
"In the darkest days of winter, I know there is in me an invincible summer."
Hum... doesn't sound good in English... I must have destroyed it in translation! lol

Yeah, Camus's great. I've read L'Etranger. Great stuff.

chaeymaey said:
Persian premed here...I'm applying to med school right now, just waiting on my MCAT score. Do any of y'all have any advice for me in this process? Also, did any of y'all mention your Persian culture in your application or interviews, and if so, do you think it helped or hurt you?

Salam. I don't know your name, but mine is Ehsan. Pleasure to meet you. I see you're from Texas? My family lives outside of the DFW area. I go to school at Michigan though, but I'm headed off to Baylor as part of the class of 2009 this summer. Do you have any idea where you want to go for med school? You should come to Baylor! haha. Anyways, in response to your question, YES. I definitely talked about my persian culture as many times as I could throughout the application process. Remember this, you are trying to make yourself stand out from other applicants as much as you can. Talking about your culture and how you are involved with it and try to spread its awareness to other people is a huge bonus for you. Plus, if Persian culture really is a big part of you, then why not let the admissions people know? After all, you want them to know everything about you right? But for me, personally, integrating my "persianness" was a big part of my application process. Everything from having my farsi teacher write my non-science letter of recc, to talking about writing persian poetry as one of my activities on the AMCAS, to dedicating my entire secondary essay to Baylor about my persian culture and how it has had a huge impact on my life. Anyways, I've written a novel. If you have anymore questions don't hesitate to ask. I'd be glad to help out. And good luck!

chaeymaey said:
Yeah, Camus's great. I've read L'Etranger. Great stuff.

Try "La Peste." It's even better... ;)

I'm Persian... but won't be matriculating anywhere until Fall 2006. (Hopefully).

put another one up for an afghani who speaks farsi. but not applying till now

Im not persian, but one of my closest guy friends is persian and he is at Penn med!!! :)

beponychick said:
Im not persian, but one of my closest guy friends is persian and he is at Penn med!!! :)

his name wouldnt happen to be sanzar would it

Salaam everyone. Another persian in the house. I'll be going to University of Oklahoma Med School in Aug., i just graduated from Emory.

How about Iran qualifying for the WORLD CUP. :D There was definitely some partying going on in Iran last night. I was just happy to see us make it after not qualifying in 2002. G

pbehzad said:
Salaam everyone. Another persian in the house. I'll be going to University of Oklahoma Med School in Aug., i just graduated from Emory.

How about Iran qualifying for the WORLD CUP. :D There was definitely some partying going on in Iran last night. I was just happy to see us make it after not qualifying in 2002. G

I'm Persian too. And yay for the World Cup qualification! I was super excited. :thumbup:

Wow that's awesome and that 1998 world cup match was so great I've been thirsting for a rematch between Iran and US (on the soccer field, of course). Behzad, I saw your sig. Congrats on getting in to OU, but we Texans ain't all that bad. I'm applying to OU; wish me luck.

I am persian as well...I am from Southlake (Suburb of DFW), I am goin to UT-Austin in the fall, I Got a LONG ways to go before i'm at yalls level (i'm only a sophmore) but its cool to know that there are so many iranian people on this thing...peace

please educate me, what does it mean to be a persian today? Is persia an old name of an empire during 550-330BC?

chaeymaey said:
Wow that's awesome and that 1998 world cup match was so great I've been thirsting for a rematch between Iran and US (on the soccer field, of course). Behzad, I saw your sig. Congrats on getting in to OU, but we Texans ain't all that bad. I'm applying to OU; wish me luck.

chaey-

I know all texans aren't bad, i just hate UT-Austin. Its a football thing, you know how it is ;) . Good luck on applying, especially to OU, but honestly why would a Texan want to go to any school outside of the state of Texas. Tuition is so cheap and if you got into OU as an out-of-stater, then you would definitely get accepted to at least one of the billion med schools in texas.

Nevertheless, Boomer Sooner!

I cannot wait for the Red River Shootout This year... Vince Young will put all the nay sayers to rest! UT Wins 21-10...in a hardfought defensive battle!!

ah yes.... Medicine...

chaeymaey said:

I was worried about the same thing. I'm not really sure what the answer to that is. However, it came up in one of my interviews (because I had put down in an app that farsi was one of my languages) and I don't think it made a difference one way or the other, the guy was just interested. It made for good conversation. I think, and if anyone disagrees, speak out, that it's fine to mention if necessary in your app, but probably don't overdo it...for the most part, it'll give you diversity.

I am a pre-med too and I am applying this year(waiting for my MCAT in 5 days). I have mentioned farsi calligraphy and poetry in my app. I dont think it hurts at all. Chaey joon, what do you wanna say about our culture that may hurt you?

hey everyone,
i'll be attending NYMC in the fall. good luck to all my fellow persians

love and love,
biff

laya533 said:
I am a pre-med too and I am applying this year(waiting for my MCAT in 5 days). I have mentioned farsi calligraphy and poetry in my app. I dont think it hurts at all. Chaey joon, what do you wanna say about our culture that may hurt you?
Oh, I didn't mean anything specific. See, I've been teaching Farsi and Islamic studies at our local Islamic center for many years. It's not really a mosque because men and women sit together and you don't have to cover your hair if you don't want to and there's not service all the time. It's the only Islamic center that holds services in Farsi in Dallas, and my family helped to found it. So it's not just an Islamic center, but also a Persian cultural center because we also hold poetry sessions and have Norooz celebrations. I just didn't know if saying that I taught Farsi and Islamic studies would sound, please forgive me, "terrorist-y" to TX med schools. I've found that with the chairs of some of my undergrad departments and other positions of authority, they can be turned off when I mention things related to Islam or Persian culture. There are still a lot of rednecks in TX, and I don't want their racism to be a reason for me to not get into med school. My mom says that I should just say that I taught Farsi because it's a little more neutral, but then I think that I would feel like I was hiding another part of myself. I don't think there's anything in our culture that would be problematic, just in the interpretation of others.

Congrats, Biffer! I'm thinking of applying to NYMC. What made you decide to go there?

hey im persian and i live in LA. I'm attending UCLA right now and will be applying for med school this year....this week has been torture as i wait for my mcat scores :scared:

Well, I don't consider myself Persian, as I'm Armenian, but I do have roots in Iran.

I'm slowly learning Armenian. I'm kind of a 1/4 breed, so I wasn't really exposed to the language and look Mediterranean for all practical purposes.

Omidjoon said:
I am persian as well...I am from Southlake (Suburb of DFW), I am goin to UT-Austin in the fall, I Got a LONG ways to go before i'm at yalls level (i'm only a sophmore) but its cool to know that there are so many iranian people on this thing...peace

Another Persian here. I go to UT also. Good luck, Austin is a fun town.

brushthis said:
please educate me, what does it mean to be a persian today? Is persia an old name of an empire during 550-330BC?

Haha, that's funny. Well, I wonder the same thing. Persian is another term for Iranian--I guess people use it because they feel like "Iranian" has too much political connotation. That's really too bad, considering Persian would imply that Persia exists and well, that all changed in 1935 when the name of the country was changed internationally to Iran. For the record, we're all from the same place, it's just semantics. I prefer Iranian.

And I'm a Bruin! Woooo.

Here, see these links to understand why the emphasis on Persian v. Iranian:

Cultural

http://www.iranmania.com/News/ArticleView/Default.asp?NewsCode=22173&NewsKind=CurrentAffairs

Historical

http://nmelrc.byu.edu/handbooks/persian2.html

My family originally left Iran due to Islamic persecution, mostly from Persians. Thus, people in my family will probably correct you if you refer to them as Persian, even though we do have similar backgrounds (we're not Persian, of course). There's still less resentment against Persians than Islamists, though. Just a lot of different levels working.

Just realize that Iran is not a homogenous place and that a lot of cultural pride is attached to one's background. I'm very proudly (part) Armenian, for instance.