Any Persian matriculates out there?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I never thought of "Iranian vs Persian" as such a big deal, in all honesty i didnt even notice it as something that is so different. Of course I also have a tendency to "under-analyze" things but are those articles trying to make something out of nothing? I dont think its that HUGE of a deal to which people have to write articles speculating why and where and when and how these words are used and such...BUT THANKS for the links, they were very informative, i loved reading them
HOOK'EM CLASS OF 08!

I love Texas, Rednecks and ALL! King of the Hill is one of my favorite animated shows... so funny!!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :smuggrin: :smuggrin: :smuggrin:

peace

Members don't see this ad.

Omidjoon said:
I never thought of "Iranian vs Persian" as such a big deal, in all honesty i didnt even notice it as something that is so different. Of course I also have a tendency to "under-analyze" things but are those articles trying to make something out of nothing?

I don't think it's that big of a deal unless 1) you're not Persian and 2) you have a reason you wish not to be called Persian. I don't think I'd call making it "something out of nothing" after what happened to my family and what occasionally will happen to Armenians (not as bad in Iran as some other places). I really don't want to turn this into a flame war. Just trying to add some perspective.

Yeah... most definetly, i did not mean that in an offensive way, my family also had to flee Iran due to persecution, though it was more religious than ethnic... (I am a Baha'i). And its always good to have multiple perspectives, but as far as small talk and such things, I just have never thought of the word Persian as a derogatory term, but perhaps that is just my own ignorance...

Members don't see this ad :)
Another Persian here, I live in NJ and will be attending UMDNJ - New Jersey Medical School this August, can't wait. Anyways, best of luck to all of you during your application process and if any of you have questions about the application process I'll be more than happy to answer them, just drop me a PM.

chaeymayer.

dont be worried to put in your islamic experience into your app. im mentioning my teaching at the islamic school and a little work in our msa. jus gotta keep up the faith that we'll get the help from Allah no matter what. holler

Omidjoon said:
Yeah... most definetly, i did not mean that in an offensive way, my family also had to flee Iran due to persecution, though it was more religious than ethnic... (I am a Baha'i)..

Well, see, that's what complicates things. Armenians are Christians, and that's the reason for the persecution throughout the Middle East. So it's not just a Persian-Armenian thing.

There are many strong Armenian communities throughout the US (e.g. church services are held in Armenian, people still learn Armenian, cultural gatherings, etc...). It's probably because I spent a lot of time in this culture (when I was in CA) that those close to me have come to shun the Persian label.

I don't mean to be offensive to any Persian kids out there. I relate to you in origins, but we obviously share different stripes, of sorts.

Omidjoon said:
I cannot wait for the Red River Shootout This year... Vince Young will put all the nay sayers to rest! UT Wins 21-10...in a hardfought defensive battle!!

ah yes.... Medicine...

Keep on wishful thinking bro. I still don't get how UT loses their 2 best players (Benson and D. Johnson) and people want to give them a #2 preseason ranking. Completely absurd. Vince Young has only had one 1 big game at UT, the Rose Bowl. He played awesome no doubt about it, but he still can not throw. Furthermore, you guys are going to Columbus in the 2nd week of the season, which will be no easy task. Guin is one of the best players in the country.

Oh yea, i dont even need to mention the past 5 years against OU cause well I feel sorry for Texas fans. ;) Mack Brown is Stoops' Bit@! You may have forgotten that we have someone by the name of Adrian Peterson. He was a pretty impressive player last year, especially in his 1st red river game. I'm sure you'll agree since he ran 223 yards over the highly touted Longhorns from Austin.

BOOMER SOONER and TEXAS will always SUCK!!!!!!!!

We have a #2 Preseason ranking b/c we have so much talent... OU team consists of Texas players cuz down here we breed 3 things my friend....Athletes...Cattle....Beautiful Women! Hook'em HORNS SON! Mack Brown is the man... and this year everyone will see...and plus isnt Petersons shoulder giving him a little trouble this year? WATCH OUT KEJUAN JONES THE STAR BACKUP who lost his starting job to a true freshman!
TEXAS NATIONAL CHAMPS 2005!
And dont worry about Ohio State...when we go up there we will show why the Big 12 is #1 and show that we OWN THE Big 10... how else would a B-list team like Texas Tech go and Rip apart Cal...???

I love this Rivalry...dont you?

eww. i wouldn't want to go to a school where the administration looked down upon persians or Islam for any reason. My parents have plenty of stories about horrible crap they dealt with in the early 80's... and I'm not eager to deal with any of it. Only open-minded liberal institutions for me.

Omidjoon said:
We have a #2 Preseason ranking b/c we have so much talent... OU team consists of Texas players cuz down here we breed 3 things my friend....Athletes...Cattle....Beautiful Women! Hook'em HORNS SON! Mack Brown is the man... and this year everyone will see...and plus isnt Petersons shoulder giving him a little trouble this year? WATCH OUT KEJUAN JONES THE STAR BACKUP who lost his starting job to a true freshman!
TEXAS NATIONAL CHAMPS 2005!
And dont worry about Ohio State...when we go up there we will show why the Big 12 is #1 and show that we OWN THE Big 10... how else would a B-list team like Texas Tech go and Rip apart Cal...???

I love this Rivalry...dont you?

I agree with only part of what you say and that is the Big 12 is #1. Other than that, you are lost bro. This will be Texas best chance for a national championship, just because OU is rebuilding this year. Honestly though, whoever wins the OU-Texas game, I could see them in the national championship (well actually I only see OU there, cause i feel Texas won't beat Ohio St in Columbus).
Peterson will be fine for fall, Stoops has mentioned this over and over again.

Anyways, its awesome that OU-Texas has such rich tradition.

BOO!!!!!!!!!! Texas Will beat Ohio State convincingly! Come on now... UT is a top tier team in the Big 12 (its basically OU and UT)...I dont even think Ohio State had a winning record in the Big 10... yes they have awsome players, and yes its at home... But lets remember who singlehandedly won the rose bowl... AND Tony Jeffries is gone so now we will actually have wide recievers lined up for VY to throw to... and I agree, the winner of TX vs OU will more than likely play in the National Title barring theres no upsets by teams like Tech (really good squad this year), or K-State (the Giant Killers... you guys might know them quite well ;-) HAHA!!)