Any pharmacist here drive a new mercedes?

Started by huzeifa52
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

huzeifa52

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi guys...this is probably a weird one....but do any of you pharmacists drive a new mercedes.....if you do....how many years did you have to work before you could get it....would a 28 year old pharmacist that has worked for about 4 years be able to afford one....?
 
That question also depends on how much money you have borrowed. On the side note, I got paid today! Yay!
 
huzeifa52 said:
Hi guys...this is probably a weird one....but do any of you pharmacists drive a new mercedes.....if you do....how many years did you have to work before you could get it....would a 28 year old pharmacist that has worked for about 4 years be able to afford one....?

Please don't get a job in healthcare if money is your only concern.

Also at 28 years old I think you would still be paying back all your student loans.

Plus who wants a new mercedes when you can get a new bmw?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
insipid1979 said:
Please don't get a job in healthcare if money is your only concern.

Also at 28 years old I think you would still be paying back all your student loans.

Plus who wants a new mercedes when you can get a new bmw?

His concern is much more important than money. It's a shiny new expensive car.
 
insipid1979 said:
Please don't get a job in healthcare if money is your only concern.

Also at 28 years old I think you would still be paying back all your student loans.

Plus who wants a new mercedes when you can get a new bmw?

Why are you so judgemental? As long as he's good at what he does, why does it matter?
 
I was going to buy a Mercedes SLK 350. I really like the retractable hard top. But, I fell in love with the Mazda RX-8 and bought it for my early graduation present. I may or may not buy the Merc when I start working. My husband is pushing me towards the Jaguar XK.
 
I gotta repay my financial aid officer (aka the wife) when I get out. Her terms are a new Lexus SC430.
 
Cars are one of the worst investments ever. Put the money into a house that is appreciating and wait until you have the disposable income for your Mercedes. You don't want to be working forever.
 
You can't consider a car a bad investment because unless you happen to hit upon a rare collectors item they aren't investments to start with. No one expects the typical car to appreciate or even maintain its value.
 
^^ exactly

BrettBatchelor said:
Cars are one of the worst investments ever. Put the money into a house that is appreciating and wait until you have the disposable income for your Mercedes. You don't want to be working forever.

Unless the enjoyment you get out of the car is worth more than the depreciation. Then it is a good investment.
 
Given my current attitude, ill probably never have any thing more than a 25K car. Its prtty much a waste of money to drop 40k on something that you will be replacing in 6 years or so. Plus, im rather enviromental and rather have a <2.0L car. I have a strong feeling that people that buy overly expensive cars are trying to prove something. To me a car is a tool, its good to have relaible tools but extravegance is a waste. Its like the recreational woodworker getting the full dewalt line up. Vacations, yummy healthy food, outdoor toys (bike, hiking gear, skis) will win out over a car any day. If i contiune my current trend, my road bicycle will be worth more than my car and ill car more investments as snoboards in teh back seat as the car is worth
 
I get as much enjoyment out of driving than just about anything else I can think of. I love to drive. I had a Ford Focus that got 30+ miles per gallon, but it wasn't fun. My RX-8 only gets 19mpg and requires premium, but I'm happy even when stuck in traffic. A car has to fit your personality. It should also make your heart do flip-flops every time you look at her.

I do agree with buying a house first though. You don't want to throw away money on rent. Your mortgage interest is 100% deductable.
 
imperial frog said:
You can't consider a car a bad investment because unless you happen to hit upon a rare collectors item they aren't investments to start with. No one expects the typical car to appreciate or even maintain its value.
Notice I said buy it once you have more disposable income. For me it will be a Range Rover. 🙂
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
dgroulx said:
A car has to fit your personality. It should also make your heart do flip-flops every time you look at her.
Exactly!

I personally can't wait to graduate and return to California where I can buy an old Bug that won't fall apart in a Massachusetts winter. Also, then I will be able to afford to fix her up all nice and pretty. Miss Lemondrop (that's her paw over there <--------) will have a little sister! Yeah, I know I'm weird....
 
I just bought a new car last year, so that will probably last me at least through school and a few years beyond. I want to buy a luxury type car next, or at least still have one with heated leather seats (my last two cars have had this...so nice), but Ill probably buy a 2-3 year old one, maybe one that had been leased out because I think its dumb to pay full price for a car that is only worth about 1/2 that in a year or so. Those leases are so stingy about miles anyway that there will probably be sub 30K on the car when I get to buy it.
 
npage148 said:
Given my current attitude, ill probably never have any thing more than a 25K car. Its prtty much a waste of money to drop 40k on something that you will be replacing in 6 years or so. Plus, im rather enviromental and rather have a <2.0L car. I have a strong feeling that people that buy overly expensive cars are trying to prove something. To me a car is a tool, its good to have relaible tools but extravegance is a waste. Its like the recreational woodworker getting the full dewalt line up. Vacations, yummy healthy food, outdoor toys (bike, hiking gear, skis) will win out over a car any day. If i contiune my current trend, my road bicycle will be worth more than my car and ill car more investments as snoboards in teh back seat as the car is worth


I'll bet anything that you've never driven a Porsch 911 sc.
 
WVUPharm2007 said:
I fully plan on driving a Ford Taurus and living in a trailer for 20 years, then retire at age 43.

West Virginia...trailer...I see a pattern emerging. Do you drink Coors Light?

Too bad you drive a Taurus and not a Trans Am.
 
dgroulx said:
I was going to buy a Mercedes SLK 350. I really like the retractable hard top. But, I fell in love with the Mazda RX-8 and bought it for my early graduation present. I may or may not buy the Merc when I start working. My husband is pushing me towards the Jaguar XK.

Isnt that car like super expensive...the Mercedes SLK 350 i mean....i ckecked out the mazda RX8....pretty sleek...cant beat the Mercedes SLK 350 though
 
insipid1979 said:
Please don't get a job in healthcare if money is your only concern.

Also at 28 years old I think you would still be paying back all your student loans.

Plus who wants a new mercedes when you can get a new bmw?

Money is not my only concern.....but it is a big concern....i think the same goes for doctors...they wont say it...but trust me....money is one of the biggest reasons why they take that long, tough road through medical school.
That doesnt mean that they dont care about their patients....yes and stop being judgemental....
 
huzeifa52 said:
Isnt that car like super expensive...the Mercedes SLK 350 i mean....i ckecked out the mazda RX8....pretty sleek...cant beat the Mercedes SLK 350 though

The SLK 350 is about 50K with the options that I want (leather, Sirius, ugraded stereo).

My RX-8 has red/black leather interior with heated seats, Bose sound system and Sirius radio. The rotary engine is really smooth, even at high rpms. It redlines at 9,000 rpm. I just love the howling sound of the rotary engine. There's not much low end torque, so you don't come off the line really fast. But, it has plenty of power and the handling is superb. The car seems to pivot from the center. The list price was 34K and I got it for 28K during 2005 model close out.

When/if this car dies, I may get the SLK. But, we're going to spend about 100K on a lagoon swimming pool and outdoor kitchen. My salary has to pay that off first.
 
DrugDealer said:
Exactly!

I personally can't wait to graduate and return to California where I can buy an old Bug that won't fall apart in a Massachusetts winter. Also, then I will be able to afford to fix her up all nice and pretty. Miss Lemondrop (that's her paw over there <--------) will have a little sister! Yeah, I know I'm weird....

I understand completely. My sister is a Bug person. It's almost a cult. I went with her to Bug Fest at the fairgrounds one year. It was packed with people.
 
huzeifa52 said:
Money is not my only concern.....but it is a big concern....i think the same goes for doctors...they wont say it...but trust me....money is one of the biggest reasons why they take that long, tough road through medical school.
That doesnt mean that they dont care about their patients....yes and stop being judgemental....

I was just offering advice. If money is your biggest concern go be an investment banker or something...because you are going to be very disappointed when you are only bringing in 60k a year after taxes and a lot of that going to repay your student loans.

Those 12 years and over a hundred thousand in loans that doctor's spend in medical school could have been spent working their way up in a company. So I really hope money isn't a big concern or they are going to be disappointed when they meet a good stock broker who makes twice as much as they do, and was earning money for 8 years while the doctor was in med school and residencies. Oh and did I mention malpractice insurance?

Anyways....Porsche Cayman is the way to go 😀 (the new Porsche not the SUV)
http://www11.porsche.com/cayman/pcna.asp
 
dgroulx said:
The SLK 350 is about 50K with the options that I want (leather, Sirius, ugraded stereo).

My RX-8 has red/black leather interior with heated seats, Bose sound system and Sirius radio. The rotary engine is really smooth, even at high rpms. It redlines at 9,000 rpm. I just love the howling sound of the rotary engine. There's not much low end torque, so you don't come off the line really fast. But, it has plenty of power and the handling is superb. The car seems to pivot from the center. The list price was 34K and I got it for 28K during 2005 model close out.

When/if this car dies, I may get the SLK. But, we're going to spend about 100K on a lagoon swimming pool and outdoor kitchen. My salary has to pay that off first.

I like the SLK 280...its not that expensive compared to the slk 500....sure seems like you are making good money..or maybe yur significant other is....arent you a third year?
 
insipid1979 said:
Anyways....Porsche Cayman is the way to go 😀 (the new Porsche not the SUV)
http://www11.porsche.com/cayman/pcna.asp

Also a nice car. But porsche really sold it short. The cayman could easily eclipse the 911 for their best car (outside of the carrera GT of course) if the engineers were allowed to take it to its full potential. But alas porsche still isnt ready to let for of the rear engine buisness 🙁 Not that the 911 is a crappy car by any means 😉
 
patmcd said:
Also a nice car. But porsche really sold it short. The cayman could easily eclipse the 911 for their best car (outside of the carrera GT of course) if the engineers were allowed to take it to its full potential. But alas porsche still isnt ready to let for of the rear engine buisness 🙁 Not that the 911 is a crappy car by any means 😉

If they did that though then they should bring the price of the 911s down. Whichever one I would be happy with since there should be a Porsche that is faster than a boxster but not 90-100k...since I wouldn't want to spend 55k on a boxster and get smoked by a guy in a 350z...that would just be embarassing.

The corvette z06 is nice. i think around 65k and is extremely fast and powerful. I think the 0-60 time is faster than the 440 thousand dollar porsche carrera gt...of course who knows how much the real world numbers differ than the advertised... The newer Corvette's look nice but I would rather have a more refined car.

I'll probably get an Audi A4 or A6 for an everyday car though...and then a used Porsche if I could afford it. Porsches have less problems per vehicle than Toyota or Honda...so I don't think reliability should be an issue...especially since it will probably be an older person driving it and not a teenager flooring it at every red light.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
huzeifa52 said:
I like the SLK 280...its not that expensive compared to the slk 500....sure seems like you are making good money..or maybe yur significant other is....arent you a third year?

UF classifies you as 4th year as soon as you finished your 2 rotations at the end of year 3. My 2nd one finished on Friday, so now I'm a 4th year student.

My husband is software development manager for an online auction software company. He makes good money. They are talking about making him a vice president. We also bought our house before the big prices increases hit the Tampa Bay area. It's appreciated about 150K in the 3 years since we bought it. Remember that my husband and I are in our 40's. It took us a while to get to this lifestyle. We lived in a townhouse for the 1st 15 years of marriage.
 
insipid1979 said:
If they did that though then they should bring the price of the 911s down. Whichever one I would be happy with since there should be a Porsche that is faster than a boxster but not 90-100k...since I wouldn't want to spend 55k on a boxster and get smoked by a guy in a 350z...that would just be embarassing.

The corvette z06 is nice. i think around 65k and is extremely fast and powerful. I think the 0-60 time is faster than the 440 thousand dollar porsche carrera gt...of course who knows how much the real world numbers differ than the advertised... The newer Corvette's look nice but I would rather have a more refined car.

I'll probably get an Audi A4 or A6 for an everyday car though...and then a used Porsche if I could afford it. Porsches have less problems per vehicle than Toyota or Honda...so I don't think reliability should be an issue...especially since it will probably be an older person driving it and not a teenager flooring it at every red light.
Lets not forget that should your porsche break you might need a loan to pay for it 😛

I'm a fan of Z06's old and new. They aren't the most refined or fancy cars out there, but you get one hell of bang for your buck. Funny you mention A4's, I'm looking into buy one.
 
huzeifa52 said:
Hi guys...this is probably a weird one....but do any of you pharmacists drive a new mercedes.....if you do....how many years did you have to work before you could get it....would a 28 year old pharmacist that has worked for about 4 years be able to afford one....?

Hey it's not a big deal, you can own one in first year even if that's gonna be your biggest purchase. Its not that big a deal. With OT you can make 150+ eazy as a pharmacist maybe even like 200/year. It just depends where your priorities lie. But its not a big deal. Medical residents drive beamers, come on as a pharmacist you can get one, trust me.
 
patmcd said:
Lets not forget that should your porsche break you might need a loan to pay for it 😛

I'm a fan of Z06's old and new. They aren't the most refined or fancy cars out there, but you get one hell of bang for your buck. Funny you mention A4's, I'm looking into buy one.

Looks like we have the same tastes in cars 👍

I wonder how much the tuneups are for a Porsche. I know for BMW they are ridiculously expensive but they have that payed maintenence thing if you buy a new one. I wonder how good that actually is. I wonder if it ends a few thousand miles before you have to replace the shocks and everything usually.
 
Since I don't have a car right now (and haven't for about 7 years). I'd love to just have a scooter that will move me a tad faster around town.

I personally don't see spending a huge amount of money on a vehicle, but I kind of have my eye on a Saab 9-3. I've always loved Saabs. The Saab AeroX concept car would be fun if I had a fortune in disposable income.
 
Forget about the Eclipse. That thing weighs as much as an aircraft carrier. Mitsubishi really blew it with that one. Evo is about the only car they can do well.

Jaguars and MB have some of the worst reliabilities on the market, with zero driving fun (I think only the SLK comes with an optional stick).

If you want a driver's car for cheap, go for a Mini Cooper S or RSX Type-S. Above that, I'd go for a Z, Evo, or WRX. 50K and above, I'm dreaming of an M3, Lotus Exige, or any Porsche that's not a Cayenne or Boxster.
 
zer0el said:
Forget about the Eclipse. That thing weighs as much as an aircraft carrier. Mitsubishi really blew it with that one.


Those Japanese engineers sure can pack 97,000 tons into a small package. Are you sure about that weight?
 
imperial frog said:
Those Japanese engineers sure can pack 97,000 tons into a small package. Are you sure about that weight?
The japanese are very talented people. They've been packing mass quantities of people and stuff into small spaces since the beginning of time.
 
zer0el said:
Forget about the Eclipse. That thing weighs as much as an aircraft carrier. Mitsubishi really blew it with that one. Evo is about the only car they can do well.

Jaguars and MB have some of the worst reliabilities on the market, with zero driving fun (I think only the SLK comes with an optional stick).

If you want a driver's car for cheap, go for a Mini Cooper S or RSX Type-S. Above that, I'd go for a Z, Evo, or WRX. 50K and above, I'm dreaming of an M3, Lotus Exige, or any Porsche that's not a Cayenne or Boxster.

I had a Mitsu Mirage Turbo, back in 1989. It was so much fun, but they only made it for the one year. I sold it in 2000 to someone who wanted to restore it. So, I looked at an Evo but I've outgrown fast econoboxes. I drove an WRX and didn't like how it drove. The Z was loud and the ride was too rough. I test drove an M3 back in 1999, but I haven't driven the new one. Back then it was a little too stark and teutonic and lacking in luxury features for the price.

BTW, the SLK has optional automatic, standard stick. The AMG SLK has a standard automatic.
 
Imperial Frog: The concept you're looking for here is called "exaggeration." All sarcasm aside, you don't upt 3500 lbs into a sports car and give the base model only 160 horsepower. Even the GT would have trouble pulling that much weight around.

dgroulx: I listed the aforementioned cars since I value handling, torque, and driver response the most when it comes to cars.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
WVUPharm2007 said:
I fully plan on driving a Ford Taurus and living in a trailer for 20 years, then retire at age 43.

I like the way you think! 😀
 
tcid said:
Where are you getting this? Consumer Reports rated Porsche dead last for 2006.

http://www.chathamjournal.com/weekly/living/autos/lexus-tops-in-reliability-60322.shtml

You do realise there are about 500 different sources for ratings on car reliability don't you?

In a magazine I read that on average Porsche has 3 manufacturer defects per vehicle...where honda and toyota have 4 and I think GM or Ford had 5 or 6...and hyundai and kia came in last (but supposedly in the past year they have improved a lot)
 
Manufacture defects refers to things that are broken/misinstalled/missing on a car when it rolls of the line. The consumer reports rating is talking about the reliability of the car, like how often it will break.

Porsche isn't exactly known for building super reliable cars, but then again if you buy a porsche you have money to fix it too.
 
patmcd said:
Manufacture defects refers to things that are broken/misinstalled/missing on a car when it rolls of the line. The consumer reports rating is talking about the reliability of the car, like how often it will break.

Porsche isn't exactly known for building super reliable cars, but then again if you buy a porsche you have money to fix it too.

I said Porsche has the LEAST PROBLEMS per vehicle...so reliability shouldn't be a problem. Then tcid posted a source (which is one of about 600 made every year) which rated Porsche the worst largely because of the Cayenne...which I showed no interest in buying.

Here is a source putting Porsche at number 2 for cars behind Lexus.
http://autos.msn.com/advice/article.aspx?contentid=4022547

Porsche is pretty well known for being a high end sports car that you can use as an everyday driver and have it be reliable.