Any point applying IR without research/rotations?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GoPelicans

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I decided on DR around the middle of June and my app is all set for DR. But honestly IR is a big reason why I'm applying rads in the first place. I have no IR rotations (none were available by the time I decided rads), no IR research/LOR's. My step 1 is 248. My personal statement is written for DR and I told all my letter writers i'm applying DR. Is there any point in applying to direct IR programs or would it be kinda futile given my lack of IR experience to this point? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Why do you want to do IR when you haven't had any IR experience?

Reactions: 1 user
Why do you want to do IR when you haven't had any IR experience?

I've done a few days of shadowing. A lot of students are forced to pick specialties which they have no practical exposure in third year. Not really my fault I didn't get to see IR in third year.

I decided on DR around the middle of June and my app is all set for DR. But honestly IR is a big reason why I'm applying rads in the first place. I have no IR rotations (none were available by the time I decided rads), no IR research/LOR's. My step 1 is 248. My personal statement is written for DR and I told all my letter writers i'm applying DR. Is there any point in applying to direct IR programs or would it be kinda futile given my lack of IR experience to this point? Thanks.
I am in the exact same boat. Thought about this today as ERAS submission is upon us. Without a rotation, research, or letters, our chances of matching IR are really low, almost to the point of why bother. It's not that we're not competitive students, just that there's simply not enough spots. You may not even get an interview when PDs realize you haven't even completed an IR elective. I'm also going for rads with the intent of doing IR because I need patient interaction and procedures. I'm setting my sights on ESIR programs. Even though much is unknown, I think in the end if you want IR, you can get it eventually.