Any Portland Area Physiatrist willing to let a non-trad shadow for a couple of days?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ethospdx

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am non-trad male applying this cycle. I have been cold calling without any luck. I did not anticipate the difficulty in finding shadowing opportunities. Physiatry is one of the specialties I am most interested in at this point in the process. I would be very grateful for the chance to shadow for a couple full days.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I am non-trad male applying this cycle. I have been cold calling without any luck. I did not anticipate the difficulty in finding shadowing opportunities. Physiatry is one of the specialties I am most interested in at this point in the process. I would be very grateful for the chance to shadow for a couple full days.

Have you tried contacting physiatrists at Oregon Health & Science? I know they don't have a PM&R residency program, but many academic centers have a rehab unit (and Portland must have at least a few inpatient units), so OHSU may still have staff physiatrists. I would think they have some MKS-oriented physiatrists too if that interests you more, but once again, I don't know for sure. Academic physiatrists tend to be more accommodating of shadows.

Consider getting in contact with one of the physiatrists at the Portland VA. VA physiatrists tend to be really chill/relaxed. I know for a fact there is in inpatient rehab unit at the Portland VA, and they almost certainly have outpatient/MSK PM&R clinics as well.

I would not think it would be hard to shadow a physiatrist--how are you cold calling? Are you speaking with the receptionists, or with the physicians directly? E-mail may work well for some of the physicians.

Reactions: 1 users
just FYI theres a whole topic just related to PM&R away rotations that may be helpful. Did you use VSAS to look and apply?

Its a competitive process, people have been planning rotations for a long time. Cold-calling doesn't usually get you far unless you have some help. You could also ask other docs you have worked with for help if they know PM&R physicians around the area.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
It has been a while since I've been in the area so some of this may not be true anymore:

The above recommendation to look at OHSU physicians is a good one, Dr Hans and Dr Nels Carlson are fantastic educators (primary focus is outpatient MSK). They've also added another physician that has additional EMG/NMD training but he wasn't around when I was there so I'm not sure what his clinical practice looks like.

For inpatient opportunities your best bet is probably going to be looking at the Rehabilitation Institute of Oregon. I personally didn't work with any of the physicians there but some of my patients from various rotations ended up there after discharge.

If you have any pediatric interest look at Legacy Emanuel. They have a pediatric rehab unit and Dr. Steve Janselewitz may be amenable to having someone shadow.

Reactions: 1 user
I found a family practice doc to shadow. Thanks for the tips. If time allows I will try va and ohsu.