1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Any possible refund?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by DreamJob, Apr 18, 2004.

1. DreamJob

DreamJob Member
    7+ Year Member

I was going to attend TUCOM next year, but decided not to. Any chance of a partial refund on the $2000 they make you give up so quickly.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. fullefect1

fullefect1 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I think you are screwed.

4. box29

box29 Keep on keepin' on Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Sorry but I highly doubt you are going to get any refund. As Dr. Haight said at our interview, this deposit is your commitment to go to Touro. As for the 2 weeks deadline, he explained that the Adcoms decide within or at 2 weeks and try to be efficient and quick about it and so they expect the same reciprocity from the student to make his/her decision.

5. adennis

adennis Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I think I've heard something about this before.. is it that you're required to give your decision within a couple of weeks (along with a deposit)?

man.. I dunno.. that kinda sucks.

so if you're not going to Touro, where are you going?????

6. HooahDOc

Physician 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    DO schools are such an awesome racket. If we weren't able to become physicians through them, I would probably think much differently about them. They seem to be the stateside equivelant of Caribbean schools, at least the private non state supported ones. This can probably be said for just about any med school though, DO or MD.

Unscreened secondaries? Secondary application fees? Outrageous deposits?

No offense, I like them and all but I think the above is more accurate than many of us, including myself, want to admit.

7. Adapt

Adapt 2K Member
    7+ Year Member

The same thing happened to me. We both got screwed out of our money. :(

8. (nicedream)

(nicedream) Fitter Happier
    7+ Year Member

DreamJob, so are you going to LECOM-FL?

9. Amy B

Amy B I miss my son so much
    Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Sorry but your deposit is going to pay for something at that school. You will never see it again. But think of it this way... be happy with the school choice you have now made and don't look back at what you did to make that right choice.

10. DreamJob

DreamJob Member
    7+ Year Member

Thanks everyone for the words of wisdom. Yes, I am going to lecom bradenton. It does suck that they take (steal) $2000, but that is how it goes I guess!

11. Robz

Robz La Vie Boheme
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    There are a lot of allopathic schools that do unscreened secondaries and then kick you in the gut...a great example of this is BU giving out a ton of secondaries and very few invites...oh and the fee is expansive also.

I'll second the raping the students question. It actually has hurt me as well at NSUCOM. I put in my first deposit....250 then my second 750....and now I have to order a credit card ( I HATE credit cards) just to make my 1000 dollar payment by may 15th.

This on top of the huge medical school physical fee I'll be paying for not having insurance. UGH.

12. Demosthenes_7

Demosthenes_7 Member
    7+ Year Member

Large DO school deposits are always non-refundable. Only doesn't hurt at a few osteopathic schools. A crying shame and another reason osteopathic schools often lose favor to the allopathics...

13. amfrank

amfrank Member
    7+ Year Member

I lost my 2000 for UHS too...it sucks!!!! Oh well when I am a rich doctor I guess it wont matter but it sure does right now.

14. doc erica

doc erica Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    sorry, man...that's so wrong. i thought touro was a bit wack asking for $2000 in two weeks! it's rape i tell ya! :thumbdown: