any pre-meds who are commute ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AlXguy

idk.
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
**meant to say, "any pre-meds who commute." **

Just wondering...I commute about 10 miles every day.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
i didn't know if you meant school or work. :rolleyes:

work???? I doubt that pre-meds work...at least I don't. I mean it's kind of impossible to maintain a 4.0 while working.

I commute about 20 miles every day. It's pressing for time, and gas money. My truck gets 15 miles to a gallon on the interstate, I'm trying to find a cheap car that gets better, but I dont really have the time to shop.:laugh::laugh:

work???? I doubt that pre-meds work...at least I don't. I mean it's kind of impossible to maintain a 4.0 while working.

Work-study is pretty common. It cracks me up though. I heard some kid talking about how he has 5 "jobs". I did the math in my head and realized there weren't enough hours in the week. Turns out each job was, like, an hour a week of surfing the internet. You'd think this guy was working the night **** in the refinery.

I used to drive 16 mi to a community college to take EMT-B courses... twice a week... for entire semester...

Work-study is pretty common. It cracks me up though. I heard some kid talking about how he has 5 "jobs". I did the math in my head and realized there weren't enough hours in the week. Turns out each job was, like, an hour a week of surfing the internet. You'd think this guy was working the night **** in the refinery.
Haha, it happened to me once, too! This girl was like, "I have FOUR jobs!" but when I started asking her about them, it turned out that they were all 3-5 hours a week.:laugh:

I commuted in my junior and senior year. Fall of junior year, it was a 30-min walk or 5-min drive, so very manageable. Spring of junior year, I studied abroad in Japan and had to cope with riding those horrible trains stuffed with people for 1-1.5 hours every morning. :barf: It was a NIGHTMARE. I also had to ride the train for an hour to get to the gym...it was the worst semester of my life time-wise, seriously.

Senior year, I commuted about 15 miles, so just about 20 minutes door-to-door.

I'd say anything below 30 mins is manageable, but once you start getting to 45 mins one way, it becomes a huge drag.

I commute about 50 miles each way. Kinda sucks but its so much cheaper than living there.
Are you serious? Driving 100 miles a day 5 days a week is cheaper than living in the city? I have a hard time believing that...that's like $350 a month on gas!:eek:

I commute, approximately 30 miles. 25-45 minutes depending on traffic, construction, how tired I am, etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you serious? Driving 100 miles a day 5 days a week is cheaper than living in the city? I have a hard time believing that...that's like $350 a month on gas!:eek:
If the choice is $350 in gas or saving $600+ a month in rent.....I can see his point. I lived in DC for over two years and it was FAR cheaper to commute because of the cost of rent.

I used to drive 16 mi to a community college to take EMT-B courses... twice a week... for entire semester...
You poor child. :laugh:

i commute and my school is an hour away :( i'm ready to be done

i commute and my school is an hour away :( i'm ready to be done
I like being able to walk to class. The nice thing is that because of my age I am in the not in the dorms (in spite of my class rank) so it's just like having an apartment.

My college is 45 min away from my house. Thank God I have a small car so it only needs gas 2 or 3 times a month.

:laugh::laugh::laugh: I have been working since my 15th birthday. I work about 32 hours a week. 2 sixteen hours shifts at the hospital every single weekend.
In high school I worked every night, well 5 nights a week 4:40- 10:30.

I do work study, about 20 hours a week. And I TA but its only once a week. and I have worked a real part-time job for the past 3 years...about 30 hours a week. I needed the money...yeah the past few years were rough i dont know how i did it. I am thinking of stopping after this semester but I wanted to get a second major for "fun." Its not so fun anymore :cool:

I commute about 5 minutes a day to class... I walk. From my dorm. Yeah.

I have a couple of friends who commute every day from Canada. It takes em like 45+ minutes each way. Suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucks for them.

3 hours of bus each day:) It's cheaper than renting in the area, and much cheaper than driving (even though my car gets good mileage). You can either get last minute studying done or get a decent nap:).

It's very doable. I work on campus for my university about a minute from all my classes so it's really convenient, and they're totally flexible with my schedule. It's preety awesome...

I work 3rd shift (22:00 - 06:00) 40hrs/wk and attend class M-F (08:00 - 15:00). I commute, and I travel about 120 miles/day. Not fun at all. But, I have to do what I have to do.

Weaklings. When my wife was in medical school in Columbia, MO I had a very sweet software job in St. Louis. So we lived in Columbia and I commuted the 120 miles ONE WAY to work. I did this for four years. Basically I'd leave the house at 6am, get to work at 8; leave work at 4pm and get home around 6.

Now we live about 7 miles from the school.

I commute to one campus that's 35 minutes away if traffic is clear, but about an hour away in the morning and evening. Twice a week, I have one class at a different campus, about half an hour away from that one. The lab I work at is at the university, about 15 minutes away from my main campus. I carpool. It's nice to have people to talk to on the way.

I commute about 25miles (both ways). But the good thing is that its mostly through highways...so I reach school pretty easily without much traffic. Plus I drive fast:D.

As for work...how do I put it ?? I'm too lazy to work...I mean, I don't need extra money or anything like that, so why waste time :cool:.

I commute about 25miles (both ways). But the good thing is that its mostly through highways...so I reach school pretty easily without much traffic. Plus I drive fast:D.

As for work...how do I put it ?? I'm too lazy to work...I mean, I don't need extra money or anything like that, so why waste time :cool:.
Well isn't life just sweet for you. If you're too lazy to work how do you keep up with school work? Both require the same work ethic. Have you ever had a job? (not an attack, serious question)

Well isn't life just sweet for you. If you're too lazy to work how do you keep up with school work? Both require the same work ethic. Have you ever had a job? (not an attack, serious question)

hahaha...True, I'm lazy to work. But when it comes to school work and studies, I'm anything but lazy. I Just do whatever I can to get that 4.0. That's my "work." :cool:

and no, I never had a job.

I work 3rd shift (22:00 - 06:00) 40hrs/wk and attend class M-F (08:00 - 15:00). I commute, and I travel about 120 miles/day. Not fun at all. But, I have to do what I have to do.

I tip my hat to you, sir. I can understand working and commuting 120 miles, but school is another thing. And school and work is on a whole other level.

I commuted 60 miles/day for school on a metro bus. :thumbup:

hahaha...True, I'm lazy to work. But when it comes to school work and studies, I'm anything but lazy. I Just do whatever I can to get that 4.0. That's my "work." :cool:

and no, I never had a job.

:rolleyes: