PI wants to contact/bump certain med schools--who should they send to?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jdsj sd

Reaction score
Hi! My PI offered to send a personal extra email as a sort of extra rec to vouch for me in the MD process. I'm super grateful for their help, but they asked me to send them the best way to contact the MD programs. Would the email address for most MD admissions be the best way to go? They have personal connections at our home institution so that's easier but I'm unsure about the other places. Thanks for any advice!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi! My PI offered to send a personal extra email as a sort of extra rec to vouch for me in the MD process. I'm super grateful for their help, but they asked me to send them the best way to contact the MD programs. Would the email address for most MD admissions be the best way to go? They have personal connections at our home institution so that's easier but I'm unsure about the other places. Thanks for any advice!
Please tell him NOT to do this!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
They have personal connections at our home institution so that's easier but I'm unsure about the other places.
If your PI is held in high esteem at your own school and knows the admissions dean, a gentle email is enough.
There is no reason to to send unsolicited emails to folks they don't even know at other schools.

• Love
Yeah to me the question is whether they are well-known in their field and whether they actually know anyone at the other institutions. If the answer to either question is yes, then it probably won't hurt. Otherwise, you risk being annoying which is not what you want.

• Love
Yeah to me the question is whether they are well-known in their field and whether they actually know anyone at the other institutions. If the answer to either question is yes, then it probably won't hurt. Otherwise, you risk being annoying which is not what you want.
As a general rule... if the PI in question is asking the applicant if / to who they should send them, then my assumption is that they probably aren't involved enough in the process to do it in a non-annoying fashion.

Reactions: 3 users
As a general rule... if the PI in question is asking the applicant if / to who they should send them, then my assumption is that they probably aren't involved enough in the process to do it in a non-annoying fashion.
That is likely a good point