Any Predents working on an MPH?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fenderdude

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any predents plan on doing an MPH? I'm considering applying for Spring '10 but I'm wondering how beneficial it will be? and if adcoms look highly upon something like that?

Members don't see this ad.

an mph would be good after you have your ddm/dmd....i highly doubt it would help you out much if you are looking to improve your grades. if you need to improve your grades then try a masters or postbac. mph is not science.

I am working on an MPH. I was advised by a dental faculty that this would help in the application process and would open opportunities for a career in public health dentistry. I'm not a minority and this is evidence for the ADCOM's that I am interested in the community I live in and don't want this career just for the $$. I plan to do a few years of public health dentistry to get $ for loans before I dive into purchasing an office. I have worked in Medicaid offices and really see this as a possibility, if you don't think the same way then an MPH might be a waste of time and money.

Members don't see this ad :)
It depends on your situation. Are you looking to do an MPH b/c you want to go into public health one day, or are you doing it to increase your academic credentials? If you are trying to get an MPH to help increase your science or overall GPA, it would be better for you to get a masters in a science related field. Public health courses do not count toward your science GPA, and if it is already low, it would be pointless to do an MPH. I was advised by adcoms to do a masters in a science related field rather than an MPH, but I didnt' have any intention of going into public health.

Im in the Master of Public Health program at the University Of Iowa and I heard that they look at the work you have done in it. I did not get accepted 2 years ago and I decided to start this to improve my application and grades. It is true though the classes do not count toward your science GPA.

I do think it will give you an advantage over other applicants if you have above average GPA and DAT. Plus Public Health is a growing field and needed at this time. To be honest I started the program as a way for me to stay here and continue my studies but I started to like the program more than I expected in the first semester and I have 3.7 in it now. I am hoping that this will help in my application and in the future if ill get accepted and graduate from dentistry. This is my personal opinion and it this is not the case then Im F$%#%# lool

If you already have pretty good stats (gpa and DAT) and demonstrate an ability in sciences, then an MPH will probably work in your favor. However, I know from experience that a friend of mine who was getting her MPH *at the school she applied to* did not really have a much better chance of getting in because they didn't see it as being overly relevant to a DDS program. Her stats were a bit lower than they would have liked and the MPH didn't really help her.

So, if you're looking to increase your chances by getting an MPH, my advice would be against it unless you're looking for a fallback. If you want an advanced degree to help you, I would recommend an MS in bio, chem or biochem.

I just completed my MPH in May. I have also heard conflicting information regarding how beneficial it is for admission into dental school. Initally, I applied for dental school back in 2006 and public health was my plan B since I've always wanted to go into public health dentistry anyway. I absolutely loved my MPH program, however, my prehealth advisor did tell me that it probably won't help my chances in getting into ds. Nevertheless, I think that if you're genuinely interested in public health and all the great opportunities the field has to offer go for it! I learned so much in my program and it gave me an even greater desire to go to dental school so that I could go into public health dentistry one day.

Thanks folks, I think I'm going to go that direction. I just graduated with a biochem degree so honestly I'm a little burned out from science courses. The MPH degree opens up a lot of opportunities in the future and definitely gives a different perspective on health care.