Agree with some of what FLsurferDPT said, but most programs are switching to DPT and MPT wont be available for much longer (I cant remember but I think like 211/259 programs have already switched) so you are forced to get a longer and more expensive degree but you will make the same money. I think unless you are independently wealthy you need to avoid private schools at all costs, obviously I made that mistake. I thought that since the school I attended was rated number 3 in the country at the time I would some how have a leg up getting a good job (in reality no one cares where you graduate from). To address the long work hours it depends on what field you choose in both PT and MD. All of the PTs I know that make 70K or more work 60 to 80 hrs a week (clinic directors, own their own practice, managers, or they have like 20+years of experience), if you want to work 40 hrs a week and not take your work home you can not expect to make over 55 or 60 a year. This is the same with MD, if you want to make a huge amount of money you will get the stress and overtime, but if you choose your specialty carefully or go into private practice you can work as much or as little as you would like. Its all about priorities. My brother is an oncologist in private practice and he doesn't work holidays, and is home in time for dinner every night (on call about 1 weekend a month). If you go into emergency medicine of course you will have stress and a lot of overnight shifts and on call duty. I am not trying to put down PT as a career, it can be very rewarding and it is true that you get to know your patients better than you might as an MD, BUT this is also changing. In most out patient PT practices you are expected to see about 3 patients an hour so that only averages out to about 20 min of one on one time (similar to the 15 minutes that MDs get). The patient may be in your gym for an hour but so are 3 other patients. I think the field of PT is changing and the perception has not, I just don't want perspective PT students to be shocked upon graduation. In short my top 3 complaints: 1) the time and cost of education are increasing disproportionately to the pay 2) the productivity expectations continue to rise (one on one time with patient is decreasing, this is the only way for a practice to stay afloat) 3) autonomy is non-existant in practice (even if in theory some states are fighting for direct access, this is not how it is. Currently in practice you basically need to ask permission to do anything with a patient even though you have a doctorate). Oh and that whole thing about nurses doing the "dirty work" at the hospital that I work at PTs are expected to help shower patients, and if they have a bowel accident during your session if you are not doubled you are expected to get them back in bed and clean them up. You will wipe butts as a PT in a hospital). Anyway just to be fair Ill list the top 3 things I like about PT 1) Helping people increase their independence is rewarding and you do get to see improvements over time. There is nothing more fun than helping someone take their first steps after they have been told they may never walk again. 2) relatively little paper work compared to MD in hospital setting 3) Love my co-workers (PTs I work with are down to earth good people who are not in it for the money) but I think this one is sort of specific to my job (cant be generalized). OK then after that novel Ill post, Ill be happy to answer specific questions. Im not trying to discourage anyone I just want people to be realistic.