Any radiologist making 7 figures total (or close to it?)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

odyssey2

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How possible is it for a DR to make 700+ total?

Members don't see this ad.

Not that uncommon. You would be in the upper echelon of groups though.

Reactions: 1 users
Easy if you're willing to work like a dog. It is easy to moonlight in radiology, either within your own group or covering extra shifts for other groups.

Most radiologists, however, enjoy having a life outside of medicine instead of spending every waking hour working. The bigger question is, how much time are you willing to sacrifice to make as much as possible?

Members don't see this ad :)
Easy if you're willing to work like a dog. It is easy to moonlight in radiology, either within your own group or covering extra shifts for other groups.

Most radiologists, however, enjoy having a life outside of medicine instead of spending every waking hour working. The bigger question is, how much time are you willing to sacrifice to make as much as possible?
Not a radiologist, but wouldn't practice environment have as much if not more to do with total income compared to hours worked or studies read?

The average radiologist is already working 50-60 hours/week. If you're in academics you might be making $300-350K. Moving from 60 to 80 hours/week, even at an increased rate for doing undesirable hours, still won't push you over 7 figures. The same might be true of working as an employee at a PE-owned practice. On the other hand, a senior partner at a larger practice in the right area (low rent/overhead, high demand for highly reimbursed work) might clear 7 figures easily just from leveraging productivity of non-partners and never even think about working over 50 hours.

This is definitely doable, but you need all the variables to work out: study mix, payor mix, correct staffing, low overhead, good biller. In the end, it's all math. $X income = ($avg net revenue/rvu)*rvus. Fill in your preferred variables and figure out if it works or not. According to MGMA, $700k is about 90th percentile though...

Reactions: 1 user
Not a radiologist, but wouldn't practice environment have as much if not more to do with total income compared to hours worked or studies read?

The average radiologist is already working 50-60 hours/week. If you're in academics you might be making $300-350K. Moving from 60 to 80 hours/week, even at an increased rate for doing undesirable hours, still won't push you over 7 figures. The same might be true of working as an employee at a PE-owned practice. On the other hand, a senior partner at a larger practice in the right area (low rent/overhead, high demand for highly reimbursed work) might clear 7 figures easily just from leveraging productivity of non-partners and never even think about working over 50 hours.
Is 50-60 really the average? Are jobs closer to 40-45 hard to find?

Most jobs are 9 hour shifts. But you also need to add the occasional weekend.

Is there any potential for ancillary income as a radiologist? Things like ASC ownership for surgeons, infusion centers for oncologists, dialysis centers for nephrologists, or commercial products for derm/ophtho are intriguing because of the rare possibility of passive income in medicine. Those sources of income wouldn't factor into MGMA either if I'm not mistaken.
There is some of this, but I think that the golden age has passed. I know of a group that has the option for partners to invest in one of their outpt imaging centers/land. But those types of deals tend to be very complicated, more risky and capital-heavy. Just put it into stocks and let that be your passive income.

Is 50-60 really the average? Are jobs closer to 40-45 hard to find?
It's poorly studied, but the few surveys people have done revealed 50s. I'd imagine a lot of the 40-45 jobs are really 50-something if you really add up the hours. I'd bet most pure clinical jobs bleed into your "off hours" far less than jobs that have a mix of clinical and admin or research responsibilities.

Definitely possible in the group I am in. You do have to work hard, but the mechanism is there.

Those jobs are out there. Given that this income is likely within top quartile, you will have to read top quartile in RVU to achieve this...Used to think that high income jobs with tons of vacation must be amazing only to realize that this translates into much more spirt crushing volume when one is working. Call shifts for these types of jobs are particularly brutal since you are essentially working as a 1.5 FTE+ rad and have to meet turn around time metrics etc

total cash or total compensation (inclusive of benefits/401k/etc)?

At average or slightly above average PP volume, then it'd be a rare group making that in cash in a desirable place/big city. They'd have to have top notch contracts making at or above $50-60 per RVU. Based on rates I'd say the average big city, indepedent PP group is somewhere in the $450-$600 cash range depending on their Dollars/RVU rate.

If you're talking a group in the boonies? Lot more likely.

If you throw in a good secondary income stream like a buy-in to imaging centers, that might return $100-200k and bump you up to that $700k range alot more easily. Though it would need an upfront buy-in.

Members don't see this ad :)
Any rads out there with other high earning spouses? I wonder if at the highest tax bracket, especially in places like california, it just doesnt make sense to kill yourself for every last dollar. Maybe even a standard PP job seems too stressful?

Any rads out there with other high earning spouses? I wonder if at the highest tax bracket, especially in places like california, it just doesnt make sense to kill yourself for every last dollar. Maybe even a standard PP job seems too stressful?
We are in top state/federal tax brackets here in Cali. There's only so much we can do to make less without doing shady tax evasion stuff. We max out 401k, 403b, 457, backdoor Roth (not tax deductible). I mean, depends on your specific job situation, but you can't be like, "We make too much; I refuse to work on Fridays". Both my wife and I work the bare minimum to keep our jobs and still make top tier. It's fine. Most people would kill to be in this situation.

We are in top state/federal tax brackets here in Cali. There's only so much we can do to make less without doing shady tax evasion stuff. We max out 401k, 403b, 457, backdoor Roth (not tax deductible). I mean, depends on your specific job situation, but you can't be like, "We make too much; I refuse to work on Fridays". Both my wife and I work the bare minimum to keep our jobs and still make top tier. It's fine. Most people would kill to be in this situation.

True. I guess i only meant like purposefully searching out chill/lower paying jobs for the both of you, or looking to go part-time ASAP. At the very least it seems it wouldnt be worth taking a top income job just to kill yourself for that marginal increase in income.

Whats your wife do and are you able to sell shifts or no? is it common to be able to do that in a traditional PP job or they want you working more? especially in this market...

My spouse works part-time as a primary care MD, and brings home about 300 pretax. She can't work any less but she stills wants to works because she loves what she does.
45-50 hours per week for me, 15 weeks of vacation are not exactly killing oneself . I just want to put it out there that making that amount mentioned in the OP's post is not unique, if one looks at the right place. People around my area clears above 700 easily, and likely much more than that.

My spouse works part-time as a primary care MD, and brings home about 300 pretax. She can't work any less but she stills wants to works because she loves what she does.
45-50 hours per week for me, 15 weeks of vacation are not exactly killing oneself . I just want to put it out there that making that amount mentioned in the OP's post is not unique, if one looks at the right place. People around my area clears above 700 easily, and likely much more than that.

Wow, 300 seems super high for part-time primary care. are you in a rural area?

15 weeks off of course great, i was just under the impression that making higher than average salaries was going to be pretty brutal while youre working even if you get that much time off. Also, much more than 700 seems surprisingly high to me...

We are in small town, hence the screen name, but not considered rural per CMS :( I wish we were considered rural by Medicare so the hospital wouldn't harass us to cut reimbursement rate.

Again, there are many variables in all kind of practices, location, work load... I don't want this to turn to the debate of metropolitan vs rural, lifestyle vs income. There is always give and take. My point is simply that, for the question of income, for our average work load (45-50hrs/wk) the numbers that I discussed are common realities where we are, even a conservative estimate on my part. I know that first hand;)

True. I guess i only meant like purposefully searching out chill/lower paying jobs for the both of you, or looking to go part-time ASAP. At the very least it seems it wouldnt be worth taking a top income job just to kill yourself for that marginal increase in income.

Whats your wife do and are you able to sell shifts or no? is it common to be able to do that in a traditional PP job or they want you working more? especially in this market...
Wife is a clinical pharmacist. Her salary is like a rounding error. But she likes the work. I'm in true PP and we technically can sell shifts, but the problem is everyone is trying to sell and no one is buying. I could easily make $1MM on my own if I wanted to take extra shifts and take home call (we can turn off nighthawk and read from home), but screw that. We get 13 weeks off a year and are trying to bring in another rad to increase to 16, but recruiting in this market is hard. Our hospital/imaging center are kind of in a Goldilocks zone where it is designated rural, but most docs live about 20 min away in a very nice nonrural area and that is only 25 min away (in the other direction) to a major metro. Let me just say that during Covid, the federal govt threw a lot (A LOT) of money at rural providers.

Wife is a clinical pharmacist. Her salary is like a rounding error. But she likes the work. I'm in true PP and we technically can sell shifts, but the problem is everyone is trying to sell and no one is buying. I could easily make $1MM on my own if I wanted to take extra shifts and take home call (we can turn off nighthawk and read from home), but screw that. We get 13 weeks off a year and are trying to bring in another rad to increase to 16, but recruiting in this market is hard. Our hospital/imaging center are kind of in a Goldilocks zone where it is designated rural, but most docs live about 20 min away in a very nice nonrural area and that is only 25 min away (in the other direction) to a major metro. Let me just say that during Covid, the federal govt threw a lot (A LOT) of money at rural providers.
This sounds like my home town. I'm worried I won't be able to get a job there because it's so easy to reap the benefits while living in a place that has big city amenities.

The goldilocks thing is interesting, ive thought about that phenomenon myself. Do you think lake elsinore would count as "rural" or difficult to recruit to?

This sounds like my home town. I'm worried I won't be able to get a job there because it's so easy to reap the benefits while living in a place that has big city amenities.
I would just cold call them. Most groups are looking to hire.

The goldilocks thing is interesting, ive thought about that phenomenon myself. Do you think lake elsinore would count as "rural" or difficult to recruit to?
What's the major metro you're targeting? If Riverside/San Bernardino, then yes. If Irvine/South Coast, then no.

What's the major metro you're targeting? If Riverside/San Bernardino, then yes. If Irvine/South Coast, then no.

I was thinking something like live in south orange county and commute to lake elsinore... ortega is a nice drive!

do you know anything about the pp environment in the irvine area? that would be more practical for sure lol

I was thinking something like live in south orange county and commute to lake elsinore... ortega is a nice drive!

do you know anything about the pp environment in the irvine area? that would be more practical for sure lol
Bro(?), that's an hour drive (one way without traffic)! Don't do it.

There's a good PP based in Newport, I think. Tough market to break into, but I've seen some ads for even them over the past 2 years.

Bro(?), that's an hour drive (one way without traffic)! Don't do it.

There's a good PP based in Newport, I think. Tough market to break into, but I've seen some ads for even them over the past 2 years.

Bro indeed. yeah the ultra-high paying lake elsinore gig is just a funny idea i had lol, just thought it was an interesting strategy. especially if they were desperate and you could finagle 2-3 days from home or something like that. Thats the only way id ever consider it. Would have to get a sweet sportscar for the drive too, obviously.

I think i heard that PP was good too. Guess ill have to work on my networking skills for the next 8 years lol. After hearing about how PP is going the way of the dodo it does seem like the socal landscape is actually not so bad for that, so thats nice to hear.

From purely financial perspective, unless your spouse is a physician or CEO, there is no justification for them to work.

Surely, this will lead to some sort of market correction? If there is that much money to make in radiology, why isn’t HCA expanding or creating residencies like they did with EM? Where are all the PE firms buying out retiring partners and not giving equity stakes to newcomers?

These are more rhetorical questions. But it almost seems too good to be true. I’ve read on here that at one point fellowship was borderline mandatory to get a job (kind of line pathology). wonder what changed

Surely, this will lead to some sort of market correction? If there is that much money to make in radiology, why isn’t HCA expanding or creating residencies like they did with EM? Where are all the PE firms buying out retiring partners and not giving equity stakes to newcomers?

These are more rhetorical questions. But it almost seems too good to be true. I’ve read on here that at one point fellowship was borderline mandatory to get a job (kind of line pathology). wonder what changed
As far as PE firms, that’s definitely happening, but I think its slowed down with the tightening of the money supply and the fact that a rad shortage means it’s tough for them to find rads to staff their contracts.

For HCA, I wonder if it’s harder from a regulatory perspective to open a rad residency than EM and if maybe rad residents don’t make enough money for them in the short term, maybe from like R1-R2 at least.

As far as PE firms, that’s definitely happening, but I think its slowed down with the tightening of the money supply and the fact that a rad shortage means it’s tough for them to find rads to staff their contracts.

For HCA, I wonder if it’s harder from a regulatory perspective to open a rad residency than EM and if maybe rad residents don’t make enough money for them in the short term, maybe from like R1-R2 at least.

I also think fellowships are still borderline mandatory.

I also think fellowships are still borderline mandatory.

Agree with jambro that the end of the easy money era and tight rad supply have both significantly slowed down PE growth.

The thing about the PE model is that while its easiest to jump on the specialties that can make crazy money, really it could infiltrate any specialty. They can go to an internist, psych, neurosurg, etc... and say "if you give me 20% of your revenue I'll give you 10x that number upfront".

HCA lists two diagnostic radiology residency programs on their GME website. Wouldn't be surprised to see that number continue to grow.

Agree that fellowships are still borderline mandatory.

If there is that much money to make in radiology, why isn’t HCA expanding or creating residencies like they did with EM?
Nucs and mammo are tightly regulated with very specific requirements for residents to graduate. Probably more hurdles with that than anything in an EM program. Also agree that it takes more education to get a radiology resident up to speed and writing useful reports than most other specialties where there's a lot of note writing and other grunt work you can do to be useful on day 1.

Reactions: 2 users
Agree with jambro that the end of the easy money era and tight rad supply have both significantly slowed down PE growth.

The thing about the PE model is that while its easiest to jump on the specialties that can make crazy money, really it could infiltrate any specialty. They can go to an internist, psych, neurosurg, etc... and say "if you give me 20% of your revenue I'll give you 10x that number upfront".

HCA lists two diagnostic radiology residency programs on their GME website. Wouldn't be surprised to see that number continue to grow.

Agree that fellowships are still borderline mandatory.

Great discussion/comments...I think the biggest difference for radiology with respect to PE infiltration is inability to currently replace us with cheaper labor (mid-levels +/- AI). Increasing demand/case complexity for our services 24/7 is also an issue (eg. STAT in-pt multiphase body MR for oncology work-up seems to be the norm)...Inflation/interest rates increasing, downward pressure on reimbursements from CMS despite increasing need for our work with increasing shortage of rads who can actually do it. Who knows how this all end up...

I think part of the issue with replacing us is that we are a much more “heterogeneous” group. Eg most of us are fellowship trained, some of us work only nights, others only days, some tele, some in house, some do procedures some don’t, some only do mammo, some do everything except mammo. Whereas with EM, I feel like they are much more similar across the board. I mean, there’s no such thing as an outpt EM doc that doesn’t “do” traumas. PE backed residencies are a way to find a captive audience but it’s harder with rads because most people leave for fellowship and then they’re a lost cause unless you want to run like 6 fellowship programs too.

I think part of the issue with replacing us is that we are a much more “heterogeneous” group. Eg most of us are fellowship trained, some of us work only nights, others only days, some tele, some in house, some do procedures some don’t, some only do mammo, some do everything except mammo. Whereas with EM, I feel like they are much more similar across the board. I mean, there’s no such thing as an outpt EM doc that doesn’t “do” traumas. PE backed residencies are a way to find a captive audience but it’s harder with rads because most people leave for fellowship and then they’re a lost cause unless you want to run like 6 fellowship programs too.
My biggest realization is that sub specialization is helping protect us from commoditization via PE.

However, RadAssistants would allow an anesthesia CRNA like model. That’s why they should never be adopted.

Sub-specialization is a double edged sword.

At the base level, we offer a standard of care way higher than other fields. E.g. neurorads only reading neuro works but ain't no cardiologist managing all the bread and butter HTN cases in the community. This makes us valuable and more irreplaceable.

Flip side, it creates massive scheduling headaches. E.g. only XYZ number of mammographers can be off at once.

Sub-specialization is a double edged sword.

At the base level, we offer a standard of care way higher than other fields. E.g. neurorads only reading neuro works but ain't no cardiologist managing all the bread and butter HTN cases in the community. This makes us valuable and more irreplaceable.

Flip side, it creates massive scheduling headaches. E.g. only XYZ number of mammographers can be off at once.
It's mildly annoying that some specialties expect fellowship trained rads to read all their imaging and yet they could be doing patient care in areas that are outside their fellowship as well. Always a
double-edged sword with these people.

Reactions: 2 users
Let's take a step back from the microscope and take a wider angle look. The discussion of which fellowship or how much subspecialization would affect income is fine and all. In the end, its effect to the final income is rather minor.
If you are an owner (partner), your total income is the profit (Rev-Expense) of the company. The quality of services, level of services, keeping the hospital or payer's contract, maximizing the revenue while controlling the expense will all come into play. Multifactorial, indeed.
If you are the employee, your income is someone else's expense. There is only so much leverage in that.

I have a high spending spouse. 😖Does this count for anything?!

I made $700+ many years and $900+ a couple years out of my approx 15 year PP DR career so far. Keep in mind, a lot goes to taxes as a doctor - very little wiggle room. I invested a large portion of this money and also paid off all my debt including a jumbo mortgage. I now cut back my schedule by half and still routinely make close to $500k with lots of time off. I let my passive investments compound now and do the work of wealth building for me. Thanks to these early investments and 13 year bull market I have estimated net worth in the $7-8M range in my mid-40s.

Going forward, I hope to not ever work that hard again and enjoy my time away from the job while maintaining comfortable income. I don’t plan on touching the investments and let compounding continuing. I still like Radiology but honestly don’t like it that much that I desire to work like a dog. It can very much be a grind / drag and negatively impact your mental and physical health if you let it. Good luck.

Reactions: 3 users
I made $700+ many years and $900+ a couple years out of my approx 15 year PP DR career so far. Keep in mind, a lot goes to taxes as a doctor - very little wiggle room. I invested a large portion of this money and also paid off all my debt including a jumbo mortgage. I now cut back my schedule by half and still routinely make close to $500k with lots of time off. I let my passive investments compound now and do the work of wealth building for me. Thanks to these early investments and 13 year bull market I have estimated net worth in the $7-8M range in my mid-40s.

Going forward, I hope to not ever work that hard again and enjoy my time away from the job while maintaining comfortable income. I don’t plan on touching the investments and let compounding continuing. I still like Radiology but honestly don’t like it that much that I desire to work like a dog. It can very much be a grind / drag and negatively impact your mental and physical health if you let it. Good luck.

Is your current job the same one that you worked most your career or did you have to go somewhere else to go half time? do you ever think that it wouldve been better to start off half time and pace yourself more instead of go for the big nest egg? my gf and i are two hopeful future specialists in a high tax state and seems like when accounting for taxes it doesnt necessarily make sense to try and make as much money as possible if in a ~50% marginal tax rate anyway

Yes, I do think it’s better to pace oneself. I’m fortunate that my group was Ok with me cutting back, many are not. Out in PP you will see a high number of burnt out Rads who are desperate to retire early and get out of the rat race.

Personally, I now view my career as a marathon, not a sprint. My Dad had a 40 year (non-medical) career and I often entertain the idea of trying to match him. In a slower Rad setting, I do think it’s possible to do so.

But, a younger Rad I was balls to the wall about things and didn’t learn a different way to think until my mid-40s.

I don't recall exact hours as in PP we tend to focus on production - RVUs. However, I recall being consistently worn out and without much energy to do other things in life. Easily, I was topping 15,000+ RVU per year.

These days, I am doing around 8-9,000 and have quite a lot of time off, usually only working 3 days a week max and one of those is usually fully from home remote work. Overall, I am happy with this setup and feel I could do it indefinitely, versus before when it was very negatively impacting my physical health (never could exercise much, gained a lot of weight etc) and mental health (felt low levels of depression from the incessant grind).

When you made 700k what’s was your take home income after taxes?

Thanks for sharing. Do you feel your current setup would have been achievable from the start of your career, or is this opportunity only afforded to you because of the long grind you put in to become a longtime established partner at your practice?

If the latter, how would you recommend young radiologists to achieve the marathon type of career that is conducive to good health and well-being? Is becoming a partner in pp even possible with this outlook from the start?

I believe it is possible from the outset, however one needs to look for such groups that focus on lifestyle. There are a lot of groups that only care to maximize income potential, and that is very short sighted imo but common. Many the partners have extravagant lifestyles and failed marriages etc that cost a lot of money. However - there are absolutely lifestyle oriented groups out there, that focus on being well staffed and still make plenty of money.

When you made 700k what’s was your take home income after taxes?

Don't recall exactly but I would say in the days where I was maximizing income I had 500k - 600k after taxes left over. Our lifestyle is reasonable and we live in a suburb so probably I'd but 300k or more into investments every year.

I believe it is possible from the outset, however one needs to look for such groups that focus on lifestyle. There are a lot of groups that only care to maximize income potential, and that is very short sighted imo but common. Many the partners have extravagant lifestyles and failed marriages etc that cost a lot of money. However - there are absolutely lifestyle oriented groups out there, that focus on being well staffed and still make plenty of money.
Easier said than done. Everyone is hiring, including my group. We are relatively lifestyle focused, 8AM-5PM, good pay, small group, no personality problems, no private equity and we want to increase our vacation to 16 weeks by adding another partner, but we can't find people, so we are just sucking it up and making more even though we'd rather have more time off. This is happening everywhere.

Easier said than done. Everyone is hiring, including my group. We are relatively lifestyle focused, 8AM-5PM, good pay, small group, no personality problems, no private equity and we want to increase our vacation to 16 weeks by adding another partner, but we can't find people, so we are just sucking it up and making more even though we'd rather have more time off. This is happening everywhere.
I wish this were true in my state.

Despite the shortage, all the groups have kept the contract terms the same when compared to pre pandemic.

The good old boys coordination is real.