Any REAL info on FINCH

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bradwilkins

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am going to be interviewing @ Finch/Chicago Medical School (now know as Roslind Franklin) next week. Other than the info on the website, which is not to different from what most schools say, I really don't know much about the school. If anyone could offer me any insight on the type of students they look for or what does their program REALLY emphasize????? Any information will be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I would say for the best info, check the student doctor interview feedback site. Sorry I can't help you any further.

Yeah I checked there but that was mainly just questions the students were asked and their opinion on the school. Thanks anyway.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not sure I can tell you what type of student they look for, I would guess it would be similar to what every other med school is looking for.

As for what they emphasize: Very traditional curiculam with mostly lecture and from what I've seen of the students a very heavy workload. They also built a new wing which includes a large area devoted to working with standardized patients. It looks like a physicians office with many exam rooms. Finally they try to turn the fact that they don't have their own teaching hospital into a positive indicating that their students get a wide variety of clinical experiences from a number of Chicago hospitals and that they are better of than those students that do all their rotations in one hospital.

I tried to be objective here but if you want my opinion of the school let me know.

Sure Russian....I'd like to hear your opinion on the school. From the stuff on the interview feedback site sounds as if they ask a lot of ethical questions??

I didn't really get any ethical questions there, it probably depends on the interviewer. Some like ethical questions while others don't. The only school where it seems that everyone asks ethical questions is Albany (from the schools I've been to).

As for Finch, my impression was that most of the students there were not happy and extremely overworked. Most of the students I met didn't choose to go to Finch but rather went there because it was there only choice. I got the impression that the admissions staff as well as the tour guide tried to convince us that Finch was a good school. I think that at a good school there usually is no need to try to convince everyone because they already know. I know a 4th year at Finch and he told me that if I should avoid going to Finch if I get accepted to any other allopathic school in the US and thats what I'm going to do. If you end up there, you can still be succesful if you do well and of course you will still be a doctor so it's not that bad but if you can go elsewhere else in the US that is probably advisable.

Sorry if this not what you were looking for but I'm being honest

Thanks for the honest opinion. I'll keep all U have said in mind when I go out there.

Actually, I thought Finch was a pretty decent school. Albeit I was an MD/PhD applicant, but the students I met wanted to be there and actually had chosen it over other, more "prestigious" schools. Also, it seemed to be the consesus that class was more or less optional for many of the classes. They also had excellent training rooms for practice physical exams for USMLE step 1. The lack of a teaching hospital is a detriment somewhat, but it does allow you to get into the city (Chicago) for your 3rd and 4th years. To me, the greatest draw back was that North Chicago is actually over an hour north of Chicago. Also, Finch students do pretty well in mathcing for residencies (but it depends on what field you're interested in). Although I didn't choose to go there for other personal reasons, I think it would have been a nice place to go to school.