• Please review the updated member agreement. Included is a new statement supporting the scientific method and evidence-based medicine. Claims or statements about disease processes should reference widely accepted scientific resources. Theoretical medical speculation is encouraged as part of the overall scientific process. However, unscientific statements that promote unfounded ideological positions or agendas may be removed.

docjolly

On Cloud Nine, Once Again
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 3, 2004
The Empire State
Status
Attending Physician
Hi Everyone,

I recently started reading a really great book. It's called:

"When the Air HIts Your Brain: Tales of Neurosurgery,"
by Frank Vertosick, Jr. M.D.

It's really giving me a newfound respect for neurosurgeons and their often oversimplified, misunderstood hard work and dedication...

Do you have any recommendations of your own for good medical books to read?

I'd appreciate it :)

Mr. Rosewater

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 18, 2003
erf
Visit site
Status
i just started A Life in Medicine, by michael bliss. it's a biography of William Osler, who was the preeminent phyisician of the 19th century.

About the Ads

Brickhouse

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 10, 2003
LA2DC and back again...
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I recommend "Are you there God? It's me, Margaret." :thumbup:

BOSSofCU

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 13, 2004
Visit site
Status
As many on the linked list did, I recommend "Complications" by Atul Gawande. Also, "Mountains Beyond Mountains," by Tracy Kidder is an extremely well-written account of the work of Dr. Paul Farmer, a Harvard doc who built a clinic in rural Haiti and is very active in global public health. "Singular Intimaces" by Danille Ofri is a less well-written, but still interesting acount of residency at Bellview hospital (NYU). Also, if you're into literature at all, the poet and writer William Carlos Williams was a physician. Many of his medicine-related stories are collected in the compilation "the Doctor Stories" and he also has a lot to say in his autobiography about the place of medicine in his life. Hope that helps.
-Ross

DrMom

Official Mom of SDN
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Apr 24, 2002
wherever I go, there I am
Status
Attending Physician
you might do a search...there are a number of threads with recommendations.

About the Ads