any recommendations?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

serge-in

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
here's the deal -- I went for urology but didn't match. my stats were 245/aoa, so I didn't expect it. now that i've though about it, I think maybe general surgery would be a better fit for me anyway, so I would like to apply for surgery. do you suggest I scramble for prelim; or just wait a year and go for a categorical spot? I'm looking for solid surgical experience, not necessarily at a university program (but preferably one where I'd have good contacts for fellowship placement, etc).

p.s. how hard is it to get a vascular fellowship after residency?? what about plastics?

Members don't see this ad.

A preliminary position doesn't offer much for someone like you other than to be working. In other words, it's not as if your stats blow and you CAN'T get a categorical position, making a preliminary position your only option. Working as a prelim therefore confers not much of an advantage, since some programs allow you to "jump track" into a PGY-2 position (if they have an unexpected opening or if they have research years which allow them to accomodate), but I believe that most would at best require you to repeat your intern year. So, it would sorta be like guarenteeing yourself two intern years. But on the other hand, you wouldn't be sitting around on your ass.

sorry to hear that...i guess it's pretty competitive...
geez...I don't know what you can do for a year if you don't scramble for prelim GS...you may be able to get a prelim at a great program...if you're good, you may have an advantage if you want to go there as a categorial...but that's a lot of work...I would consider prelim, and look for a opening PGY-1 position during the year...about 17-20% of categorial GS on average either switch programs or drop out of GS each year...you may be able to secure a categorical spot that way, without having to do an exta intern year...

best of luck

Members don't see this ad :)
How about doing a surgical prelim year and reapplying for urology during that year.

I'm don't know how urology residency works but I assume it requires one year of GS training like other surgical subspecialties. That way if you get into a urology residency you'd already have done your surgical intern year. Would this be an option??

I would ask your chairman or PD in G Surg at your school what they think. I know a person that was in a similar situation as you last year and is going through the g surg match this year. He took a prelim g surg spot, has great numbers, and is a good guy. But for some reason many programs avoided this person like the plague. He did get some top notch categorical interviews but he said that he felt like he was always behind the eight ball. Just FYI

I'd take a prelim spot. Then I would try to find a PGY-2 spot next year in Urology or GSurg. The worst thing that happens is that you have to re-apply for the match and do the intern year over again.

My friend did this for Ortho and was able to find a PGY-2 spot.

Sorry to hear this. By the way, I have said this in my previous messages that most medical students who goes into ortho, ENT, OPTHO initially wanted to do surgery. But when they receive that stupid Step I scored then they change their mind. They feel over qualify for G. surgery and look down upon us. These are some of their comments " You are hardcore, I cant believe you want to do G surgery." Well, to be frank, be prepare to answer this question if you decide to apply to G surgery next yr, " Why G surgery now, but not the most famous ENT" Believe me, we had to answer this question every other day, but you've to have two answers for this question. Good luck.
-Whipple

whipple said:
Sorry to hear this. By the way, I have said this in my previous messages that most medical students who goes into ortho, ENT, OPTHO initially wanted to do surgery. But when they receive that stupid Step I scored then they change their mind. They feel over qualify for G. surgery and look down upon us. These are some of their comments " You are hardcore, I cant believe you want to do G surgery." Well, to be frank, be prepare to answer this question if you decide to apply to G surgery next yr, " Why G surgery now, but not the most famous ENT" Believe me, we had to answer this question every other day, but you've to have two answers for this question. Good luck.
-Whipple

thanks for the advice. any more would be appreciated.

as for whipple's comments...true, at least somewhat. I love surgery, but with what I thought was a competitive profile, figured I'd go for urology so I could do great cases but also have a better lifestyle. And there is no way I would ever look down upon anyone going into G surgery. I have the utmost respect for you guys, and think maybe I should join the club since you are the only real doctors out there. Let's be realistic -- uro guys know everything about a single organ system; but in G-surg, you've got to know everything about everything.

serge-in said:
... in G-surg, you've got to know everything about everything.

Hey, I like surgery, too, but let's not go nuts here. We don't want to start sounding like the ED forum. :rolleyes: *cough* *cough* deluded idiots *cough*