any red flags?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

phantomx87

Wishing I was a bum
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, so this is a serious question and I am looking for serious advice...

How exactly should one address the "Any red flags?" question that comes up at interviews? Is there any difference in approaching the question in a blind interview versus one in which your file is open to the interviewer? I am asking for advice from anyone that has actually been asked that question and answered.

Should it be approached the same way that one would approach it in the AMCAS PS manner (i.e. if at all, glossed over) or go for a brutally honest fashion?

Any real insight would be greatly appreciated!

:luck::luck::luck:

Members don't see this ad.

I wouldn't bring it up in a blind interview unless they ask "Is there anything you want the committee to know about you?"
If you get a good open ended question then you should try to bring up the posative lesson you learned from whatever it was you did. But make sure not to open the interview talking about something no-so-good you did.

If its an open interview and it doesn't come up then the interviewer prolly didn't care enough about it to make an issue. If its a "real" red flag they will let you know

What if it is a direct question? There really isn't a way to dart around it then without looking like the question either scares you or you're trying to hide something.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well...I personally would cover what i said in the PS. Just cause then there won't be an inconsistency between what you wrote and what you say at the interview. Just be honest and "human" about it. Some schools care about these things more than the others.

Can i ask what your red flag is exactly?

Absolutely... I had a horrific first year (I'll PM with the details... I'd like your opinion). After transferring to my local state school, I did well and actually graduated early. Nonetheless, when I put in all of my grades to AMCAS, the resulting cumulative GPA was, let's say, less than optimal.

I have extremely strong ECs, LORs, references, etc... But when it comes to that actual question, I feel that no matter how I address it, it's either going to come off as either excuses or dancing around it.

For anyone else reading, however, I started this thread not only with the intention of seeking advice for my personal question, but also for anyone that may come across a similar situation at interviews. With that in mind, general (i.e. non-specific to my situation) advice is not only welcome, but encouraged!

I'll try to explain how I took this question, as it is one that NYMC is guaranteed to ask you. I interviewed with the lady that gives the morning presentation, and developed a great rapport with her. It was scheduled to be a half hour interview, and I was in the office for about 50-55 minutes (we actually ran into the next girl's interview, I felt kind of bad for her cuz she was waiting outside, stressing). I still have a while until I find out the verdict, but I'll give you the run down on how it went (although overall I felt it was a good interview, great when you consider it was my first and only).

We talked for a long time about all sorts of diff things, growing up where I did, why I have a slightly negative view of doctors in my area (it was in my PS), jobs I had, all of my activities, why I want medicine, etc....

She almost forgot to ask me, and as I was standing up she went, "oh, I almost forgot! And I get upset when the other interviewers forget! Do you have any red flags?". Grrr, I was hoping not to end the interview on that note! But yeah, I definitely do, and two major ones. I explained one semester of grades (0.5 lower than my next lowest semester) and also my take on why I did more poorly with more preparation the second time I took the MCAT. She definitley seemed to empathize with me on my reasonings, and I didnt try to spin it positively. I just laid it out there so that the adcoms would know.

I think the point of this question is to explain anything glaring on your record that you would want them to have some understanding for. To me, trying to put a positive spin on it (ie oh, I just learned sooooo much from my failure) is the same as saying that your biggest weakness is perfection. I felt more comfortable using the approach of, these were the circumstances, some of which I could control but some of which I couldn't, and that is that. Your record is the only thing that speaks for you, as in did you pick yourself up, dust off, and regain yourself.

Oh, and please, please, please dont tell them your red flag is like a 10 on the verbal section or a B- in some class!!!! If you really dont have one, just say "Well, I dont think I've had any yet!" and be thankful for it!

I just saw, after my ridiculously long answer, that you are in fact interviewing at NYMC. Good luck, I was very impressed with the school and I'm sure you'll like it! I just wanted to confirm for you that it IS a blind interview, your interviewer will only have a list of your activities to go off of. Be prepared to talk about them all. Also, they dont have your numbers, so I wouldnt necessarily be specific. Just explain the circumstances, and then add something to the effect of what you put on here- when you got in a better situation (physically, mentally, what have you) you were able to perform to your true potential. If you have any questions about the interview, please PM me!! I'm more than happy to help ya out! :luck:

NYMC interview isn't too intense at all. Just explain your low grade/s, or why you went to jail that one time...